Re: Okay, I am going to be honest what the eff is LitRpg?

Take a look at these stories, for example. Read the first couple of chapters for each.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/14396/the-snake-report
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/8894/everybody-loves-large-chests
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15130/threadbare

Of course, there are ones with human protagonists too. In fact, there are more of them than with monster protagonists. But these three were the first ones that came to mind, when I think "LitRPG". Blue boxes, stat pages, leveling up, unlocking skills. Like the whole world is within an RPG video game.

RPG = Role Playing Game. Can be a singleplayer game or table top with others (like Dungeons and Dragons I think, idk, never played it before).

MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (aka, rpg's played online by a lot of players or people at once)

Both of these typically have classes, skills, fantasy elements, stats, etc.

LitRPG = A written story that shares these elements. Typically includes "stat screens" or "blue windows" which are meant to emulate an RPG's ui (user interface) or character card information/whatever you want to call it, but not all Litrpg's uses windows. Some just format text differently to indicate the RPG elements.

LitRPG is like a sub-genre of "GameLit" which has elements of video games (think Ready Player One) but without a big focus on RPG elements. So every LitRPG is a GameLit, but not every GameLit is a LitRPG.

MrNobodyisHome Wrote: Yes, I know this is like a prominent thing on this website, but I actually have no idea what it actually is lol, as in, what the genre is like. I've never heard about it before stumbling here.

Anybody care to explain?
Hey since some other people answered the original question already, out of curiosity can I ask how did you find out about royalroad? Most people came here from looking for other gamelit or litrpg or cultivation stories i think 

HereBeTreasure Wrote:
MrNobodyisHome Wrote: Yes, I know this is like a prominent thing on this website, but I actually have no idea what it actually is lol, as in, what the genre is like. I've never heard about it before stumbling here.

Anybody care to explain?
Hey since some other people answered the original question already, out of curiosity can I ask how did you find out about royalroad? Most people came here from looking for other gamelit or litrpg or cultivation stories i think

Truthfully I didn't know either before coming here. I started with translated novels then stumbled here and found litrpg... then lurked for a few years before registering. xD

HereBeTreasure Wrote: Hey since some other people answered the original question already, out of curiosity can I ask how did you find out about royalroad? Most people came here from looking for other gamelit or litrpg or cultivation stories i think
Fastus, last I checked yours is cultivation which is popular here, so idk if that's what HereBeTreasure is talking about.

Basically RR has the best serial platform out there for getting organic traction. It gets recommended in writer circles *without any litRPG, cultivation, isekai asterik up front. Frankly, even with that asterik it's still the best place to post if you're writing an action-orientated fantasy or sci-fi story in general, it seems. (That claim is based on my research not experience. This is the only place that I'm posting.)

OP will have to speak for himself, but this was how I landed here, writing a romantic fantasy epic about gods and demigods. If I souped up the action and added stats (and made the male lead the MC) or if I souped up the romance and did some questionable tropes, then I would better fit with RR or Wattpad respectively.... In the present moment as a hobbyist, I just want to write what I want (and avoid Wattpad--I'm hesitant to cross-post there because of the lack of organic traction).

(To add, I like to think that I've been a good member of the community--reading other stories, lots of comments and feedback, teaching grammar, reviews, shoutouts, free cover art.... yeah! I try making it a point to not be a leech on the platform.)

I think the fact that RR is the best web serial site, even for stuff not in the popular genres, is the reason why a lot of authors end up here who were not necessarily readers of the site's niche first.

Fastus Wrote: Yes, I write Xianxia, but that's not what I wrote. I just said that, like him, I didn't know LitRPG before discovering this website. Or were you talking about something else?
It was just a minor point. When people say "nothing but litRPG succeeds", they're really talking about the focus of the site: litRPG+ so add in the isekai and cultivation stories. Saying "I don't write litRPG" is true, but it kind of misses the point since your story still gains popularity easier than say a generic fantasy or a horror or a romance genre story...... (This is what I started typing then realized something.)

Wait... I think I'm getting my threads mixed up. Sorry Fastus! I have a head cold and too many similar threads in General right now are getting me confused :D
No matter what you write it still applies how you came here.

kieranpierce Wrote:
Fastus Wrote: Yes, I write Xianxia, but that's not what I wrote. I just said that, like him, I didn't know LitRPG before discovering this website. Or were you talking about something else?
It was just a minor point. When people say "nothing but litRPG succeeds", they're really talking about the focus of the site: litRPG+ so add in the isekai and cultivation stories. Saying "I don't write litRPG" is true, but it kind of misses the point since your story still gains popularity easier than say a generic fantasy or a horror or a romance genre story...... (This is what I started typing then realized something.)

Wait... I think I'm getting my threads mixed up. Sorry Fastus! I have a head cold and too many similar threads in General right now are getting me confused :D
No matter what you write it still applies how you came here.

DrakanLaugh

Indeed, I got confused too for a moment when I read your post. xD