Re: Anybody that says non-LitRPG can do well on here is a liar

Depending on what your definition of well is - it is definitely very possible to have lovely readers and comments. There are top rated stories that are none gamelit, like Journey and Epilogue. I think RR is a lot more diverse than it used to be, and that's a nice thing.

I have been lucky but I've always had a good experience writing not-litrpg (out of the 3 serials I have written my litrpg is the least popular, interestingly enough). Keep writing what you want to write, read, grow, and cross fingers the readers will find you. 

That's disappointing to hear. To be honest, though, other sites have fave genres as well e.g. Wattpad - Romance, Inkitt - Werewolves, AO3 smutty fanfic. Not sure it's abad thing for RR to have a specialty as well. It also means there is a very different reader demographic here, so my advice is use multiple sites and find one that works for your genre.

That said, I can't help but notice your 1 achievement badge... Are you really engaging enough, or even writing enough, to justify this thread...?

Gonna leave my two cents here even because although what OP said isn't true (in my opinion) it does bring some good discussion to the table.

RoyalRoad isn't anti-anything-that-isn't-litrpg, it's just dominated by litrpgs. And most people who come here like or at least tolerate litrpgs and isekais, and because of that more litrpgs and isekais are published, which ends up with an even bigger litrpg/isekai audience. In the end, you end up with a website mostly dominated by litrpgs and isekais, which drastically reduces the viability of gaining traction with a non-litrpg/isekai series. There are just a lot fewer people willing to give your story a shot.

The exception to this is when a really good author puts out a story, and attracts an audience through pure writing skill. Case and point most of the best completed series are non-litrpg.

In the end, I believe the way to succeed on this platform without writing a litrpg or an isekai is to just write something good. It's certainly a lot easier for you to blow up by writing a litrpg/isekai, but it's not impossible to blow up by writing something else.

TEZofAllTrades Wrote: That's disappointing to hear. To be honest, though, other sites have fave genres as well e.g. Wattpad - Romance, Inkitt - Werewolves, AO3 smutty fanfic. Not sure it's abad thing for RR to have a specialty as well. It also means there is a very different reader demographic here, so my advice is use multiple sites and find one that works for your genre.

That said, I can't help but notice your 1 achievement badge... Are you really engaging enough, or even writing enough, to justify this thread...?
I wrote this on an alt account because I got frustrated that I lost a reader (it was one but I had been posting for a few weeks and it took a while to even reach double digits). I've been writing a lot more since then but my numbers haven't really gone up. I mostly stick on RR because the forums are a good way to at least get people looking on your story and the recent updates section helps a lot too.

I'd love to go a different site if there was a viable competitor or something that would appreciate the genres I enjoy working in (essentially anything that *isn't* Cultivation/LitRPG) but that doesn't seem to be case. 

I think I'm just stuck here grinding out pages for the time being...

FGC_Checkmate Wrote:
TEZofAllTrades Wrote: That's disappointing to hear. To be honest, though, other sites have fave genres as well e.g. Wattpad - Romance, Inkitt - Werewolves, AO3 smutty fanfic. Not sure it's abad thing for RR to have a specialty as well. It also means there is a very different reader demographic here, so my advice is use multiple sites and find one that works for your genre.

I wrote this on an alt account.

I'd love to go a different site if there was a viable competitor or something that would appreciate the genres I enjoy working in.
I see. Hmm. Not sure you'll like what I have to say, but if you do want an honest answer, here goes.

I think you need to adjust your expectations. There is not a sea of readers out there just waiting to read your books. It will take time to build an audience. That said, now that I can see your real stats, it looks like you're already doing well! Or at least much better than you realise. Especially "for a few weeks"! I think you're comparing yourself to RR's top genres/books, which I understand since the Reading Rec pages all pretty much show them in a good light, but it's not helpful.

As someone who has used multiple platforms, I can tell you that I have received more views since I started posting 2 weeks ago, than I did in 4 months on Wattpad. Also, it's looking like views/retention on each chapter are far more consistent, whereas Wattpad readers just viewed the first chapter and buggered off lol. Other sites are worse. FPN has high views for longer stories but sickeningly low engagement (readers just use guest accounts)! Inkitt has some of RR's good features but the site is basically dead. The others are romance-centric.

Looking at your books, I think this is probably the best place for you, and I think you're already doing well! It's great that you're using the Volumes tool on LC and incorporating artwork! My only real advice, as a marketing guy, is that people do judge a book by its cover and now that I've seen the artwork in your chapters, I know you can improve yours. 

First, I recommend you make new cover images more in-key with professional book covers e.g slightly higher quality art (and image size), logo at top, author name at bottom, cool background (similar style to LC Part 1 but in blues) and the best centre image you've ever drawn (research Jackie Chan's more modern movie covers). Using slightly simpler images for the Volume covers is a nice idea to distinguish them. Second, make the Volume cover "Part 1/2/3" tags a consistent design that you use on all of them. Third, your logo with a white stroke instead of black should be better for darker backgrounds like Part 3 cover. Lastly, change "Part"s to "Vol"umes, which will make people think each Volume is more complete as a standalone story and remind people of manga "volumes". Oh, and move your update schedule and the fact that each chapter includes illustrations to the top of your book summaries as those are great selling points!

Consistency is key, so keep plugging away, and try not to compare yourself to others. I expect you will take off soon enough. Good luck!

FGC_Checkmate Wrote: I wrote this on an alt account because I got frustrated that I lost a reader (it was one but I had been posting for a few weeks and it took a while to even reach double digits). I've been writing a lot more since then but my numbers haven't really gone up. I mostly stick on RR because the forums are a good way to at least get people looking on your story and the recent updates section helps a lot too.

I'd love to go a different site if there was a viable competitor or something that would appreciate the genres I enjoy working in (essentially anything that *isn't* Cultivation/LitRPG) but that doesn't seem to be case. 

Yes. More pages. The chapters are on the short side, and you post around once a week, right?

It means Lethal Tempo is at around 40k words right now, after 3 months. Some (especially pre-written, backlogged) stories get more content published in the first week: and they don't slow down for a while. 

Your story is still really small in the context of RR. Keep on trucking for now, more people will come.

TEZofAllTrades Wrote:
FGC_Checkmate Wrote:

I wrote this on an alt account.

I'd love to go a different site if there was a viable competitor or something that would appreciate the genres I enjoy working in.
I see. Hmm. Not sure you'll like what I have to say, but if you do want an honest answer, here goes.

I think you need to adjust your expectations. There is not a sea of readers out there just waiting to read your books. It will take time to build an audience. That said, now that I can see your real stats, it looks like you're already doing well! Or at least much better than you realise. Especially "for a few weeks"! I think you're comparing yourself to RR's top genres/books, which I understand since the Reading Rec pages all pretty much show them in a good light, but it's not helpful.

As someone who has used multiple platforms, I can tell you that I have received more views since I started posting 2 weeks ago, than I did in 4 months on Wattpad. Also, it's looking like views/retention on each chapter are far more consistent, whereas Wattpad readers just viewed the first chapter and buggered off lol. Other sites are worse. FPN has high views for longer stories but sickeningly low engagement (readers just use guest accounts)! Inkitt has some of RR's good features but the site is basically dead. The others are romance-centric.

Looking at your books, I think this is probably the best place for you, and I think you're already doing well! It's great that you're using the Volumes tool on LC and incorporating artwork! My only real advice, as a marketing guy, is that people do judge a book by its cover and now that I've seen the artwork in your chapters, I know you can improve yours. 

First, I recommend you make new cover images more in-key with professional book covers e.g slightly higher quality art (and image size), logo at top, author name at bottom, cool background (similar style to LC Part 1 but in blues) and the best centre image you've ever drawn (research Jackie Chan's more modern movie covers). Using slightly simpler images for the Volume covers is a nice idea to distinguish them. Second, make the Volume cover "Part 1/2/3" tags a consistent design that you use on all of them. Third, your logo with a white stroke instead of black should be better for darker backgrounds like Part 3 cover. Lastly, change "Part"s to "Vol"umes, which will make people think each Volume is more complete as a standalone story and remind people of manga "volumes". Oh, and move your update schedule and the fact that each chapter includes illustrations to the top of your book summaries as those are great selling points!

Consistency is key, so keep plugging away, and try not to compare yourself to others. I expect you will take off soon enough. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!

I already made a confession thread a while ago and got a lot of advice there too. I've just been writing a lot since then. But people coming back to this thread to join this discussion. 

Ararara Wrote:
FGC_Checkmate Wrote: I wrote this on an alt account because I got frustrated that I lost a reader (it was one but I had been posting for a few weeks and it took a while to even reach double digits). I've been writing a lot more since then but my numbers haven't really gone up. I mostly stick on RR because the forums are a good way to at least get people looking on your story and the recent updates section helps a lot too.

Yes. More pages. The chapters are on the short side, and you post around once a week, right?

It means Lethal Tempo is at around 40k words right now, after 3 months. Some (especially pre-written, backlogged) stories get more content published in the first week: and they don't slow down for a while. 

Your story is still really small in the context of RR. Keep on trucking for now, more people will come.
That's why I also started Rumble Circuit and I've been updating 1 to 2 times a day, everyday and I have 30-ish chapters of backlog ready.