Re: Anybody that says non-LitRPG can do well on here is a liar

I set out to have one person actually read what I wrote and tell me what they think. I currently have 25,000 hits, and have interacted with people who have not only read what I wrote, are emotionally invested in characters I made up. This is an incredible feeling.

I write for myself, first and foremost, sharing my work helps me refine it, people reading it is a bonus. Perhaps you should consider assessing what you hope to achieve and why you're writing. If you're doing it to reach the top of a list that has tastes you don't share, you're only setting yourself up for a fall.

At this point, as I normally do with people that don't write those weird genres I don't understand, I would check out your work. I can't do that because you're hiding behind this account. I think you should take a break for a few days/week, get some perspective instead of putting your energy into things like this

FourPin Wrote: I set out to have one person actually read what I wrote and tell me what they think. I currently have 25,000 hits, and have interacted with people who have not only read what I wrote, are emotionally invested in characters I made up. This is an incredible feeling.

I write for myself, first and foremost, sharing my work helps me refine it, people reading it is a bonus. Perhaps you should consider assessing what you hope to achieve and why you're writing. If you're doing it to reach the top of a list that has tastes you don't share, you're only setting yourself up for a fall.
This is a point of view I share. I had expected my first novel to maybe get 1k views in its first month since I know I write quite off-meta for Royal Road.

That it did way better than that was an unexpected, if pleasant surprise.

RagingCorn Wrote:
Fastus Wrote: Well, I don't write litrpg, but I still have some followers, and I have some comments in every chapter. I also don't consider myself an exceptional writer, so I think that what I have is fair, rating excluded.

Lit rpg may have an advantage here, but I don't think it's as much as you say.
Please give me your secrets. Do you advertise? Just post?

I post a chapter, and get a few followers, then lose some. Until now I gained more than I lost.

That's it.

It hurts seeing a follower go, especially when you don' t have many, but it's inevitable.

As for advertising... aside from writing here not much. Just mentioned it on some discord, but it didn't work well.

Also, I write Xianxia, and I think my cover and title help bringing in those interested in the genre.

Also the more you post, the more followers you'll get. I am a slow writer, so this is the most I can do, but if I had been writing daily I would have probably passed the 100 followers by now, and hit rising stars. That's where you get the most views in the beginning.

I will say that litrpg, cultivation, and xianxia has an enormous leg up here, but I write a high fantasy story without those elements and it's doing well. Those tags also invite some of the most critical and rabid readers so it's a bit of a double edged sword. The best thing about this site is that the readership is always actively looking for more to read. While you may need to conform a little to what they're looking for I don't think that's unique to this platform.

As a fan of litrpg and gamerpg - I don't like to read a story that focus heavily on numbers going up. If I do - I would just play a video game. 

What I love about litrpg is to see the authors' imagination take off and show me how they would solve the problem without leveling up or getting super powerful skills with no effort. I actually want to read a story (shocking, I know). 

I also want to see the author write about characters failing/succeeding to adapt to the world- the corruption, the idealist, and etc. 

Its not just a powertrip wank for me. I also want to read stories of the main character with different cast of characters. I'm not a fan of solo MC getting super powerful on their own either. 

Maybe that's just me - but I want to believe that there are other readers here that like reading a story first and foremost and "number go up, wee" second. 

Considering that the one LitRPG that I wrote, I bullshitted stats from the start and still got a significant following in under two weeks, I’m inclined to agree with the OP to an extent lol.

LitRPG is a quick way to the top. Unfortunately, I hate stat boxes and numbers with a passion. I’m not going to aggravate that disdain by writing them.

Apocryphal Wrote: Considering that the one LitRPG that I wrote, I bullshitted stats from the start and still got a significant following in under two weeks, I’m inclined to agree with the OP to an extent lol.

LitRPG is a quick way to the top. Unfortunately, I hate stat boxes and numbers with a passion. I’m not going to aggravate that disdain by writing them.
It's not really weird, though, and it's not even a bad thing. Personally what I want from a litRPG is the game-like feeling of being able to progress. Just having crap stats in ablue box is enough to give the illusion of that - when I play a game and level up, I get a little ping of endorphins and it just feels rewarding, you know? That's all a litRPG screen need to do. The same job as an in-game level up. Giving me my spike of game addict hormones. 

It's no different from people who like sci-fi being happy to read about some cool vehicle that never gets explained.

Hathnuz Wrote: I'll take this as a challenge, write a non-litrpg story, and get at least 300 followers.
As someone who has written an entirely standard fantasy story with over 500 followers, I assure you it's far from an impossible challenge. My standard fantasy stories have actually done better than my litrpg, by a significant margin. Anyone who says 'only litrpg can succeed here' must have a very narrow definition of 'succeed'.

I do write isekai, but don't write litrpg. I only use one bugged out Status Screen to show my MC's low level and after that, no more numbers game.

But Royalroad has lots of litrpg, that is true.

I have lost followers, about two digits worth by now. And been bombed. more times than I'd like. But that's what happens when you stay long.

Losing one or two followers is nothing new. I've lost ten in a day when I wrote the most gut-churning chapter I've written. dropped 60 ranks. Now that was a doozy.

Tbh, I don't think people on here specifically want LitRPG. What they want is a narrative that consistently and quickly progresses towards something. All genres can do that that, but the great thing about LitRPG's is that they're defined by progression systems. Levelling up, increasing stats, and getting stronger is a predicate of the genre. Which actually makes it difficult to write a LitRPG that doesn't create a sense of progression. But in other genres it's the opposite. Making love interests get closer to eachother in  a romance story and signposting that progression requires deliberate effort. Progressing a continent or galaxy wide war in an epic fantasy or sci-fi requires deliberate effort. It's really easy to write those sorts of stories and progress nothing. But levelling up your protagonist and giving them XP in a LitRPG will happen without the writer even  intending it to happen, and can happen quite rapidly and cathartically if done deliberately. It also doesn't hurt that the progression systems LitRPGs are based on were designed by AAA video game companies - companies that hire addiction psychologists to make them as dopaminergic as possible. 

Maybe not just litrpg in particular, but when you include cultivation and isekai that basically covers every single popular fiction here

It is kind of hilarious and offputting just how much royalroad readers like stats. Most regular human beings read stories for the story with a dash of wish fulfillment, and enjoy a game-like system because it makes that wish fulfilment just a tad easier to understand, but on this site the stats have become the wish fulfillment and that's just like wtf.

Normally a story progression goes MC is getting suppressed and bullied by a stronger power, they gain strength through whatever system, and then the payoff is the vengeance itself. If the payoff is not vengeance, it's some kind of emotional payoff that is universal and easy to understand. Whether that be hiding strength and then revealing it to wow people or whatever. 

For litrpg it feels like it's taken a step into the void and the stat progression of the game system is the point now, not the emotional payoff anymore. I had a guy in my comments seection tell me that he hand-calculates every single stat to 'check for accuracy', and I asked if he uses excel and he said no. So he's sitting there with a calculator just rerunning the stats that I personally tried to de-emphasize as much as possible. It's wild. 

Also Dungeons and Dragons. So many people commenting stuff about "chaotic evil" or whatever and I feel like I didn't get the memo that I'm supposed to like this matrix. 

I've tried to get my friends to go on royalroad and read stuff, but nobody ever does it. That was the final tipoff that the royalroad readership is not the average gamer or average guy, it's like the extremity of a certain set of personality types with a certain set of pre-existing interests. And so you write to conform to the extremity whatever that may be. 

========

It's also a fact that most people, especially guys, don't read. The reason why media such as tiktoks, podcasts, anime, video games, etc are all far more popular is because they engage visual and other senses and are more sensorily encompassing.

Then within reading, women are more than 2x as likely to read as men.

So when you reach the demographic of litrpg and cultivation, which is primarily video game exposed males usually in the younger age group who are receptive to reading, the types of personalities that are receptive to that are very slim. I can say firsthand that out of dozens of people I tried to get into the genre, nobody got in. Some people don't even move from anime to manga because it's too much of a sensory downgrade. 

RagingCorn Wrote: OK, I got some writing done and I feel better now.
Woke up at 2 AM, frustrated that I lost one of my few followers and wanted to rant.

Next time if you're going to rant then do it on your main. Say your opinions with confidence or people won't agree with your controversial statements. And to everyone in this thread that's calling this bait or something unconcerning, I'm inclined to believe you don't read the works of other authors or frequently check the new releases page.