What kind of endings do y'all like better. Happy, Bittersweet, Tragic, or open ended.

I'm just curious because I'm just a curious person. I'm a big fan of writing tragedy, but I'm more a fan of reading bittersweet endings. I don't know why I like writing tragedies either. I just remember thinking through the endings of all my stories and realized nearly all of them end in a tragedy. Even a romance story that I came up with ended in a tragedy. A story which I wrote on Storyfire, which I never even finished, ends in a tragedy. Why must tragedy pursue me so.

Re: What kind of endings do y'all like better. Happy, Bittersweet, Tragic, or open ended.

I rather the ending should match the story that was told. Endings should be the natural conclusion of what the story is about. It should be understood. I no more like an happy ending where everything is wrapped up into a neat bow when it shouldn't, or a bittersweet ending that was put into place because of subverting expectation at the last minute, than a sad ending used for shock value.

It's all cheap. I don't like cheap endings. I don't care what your ending is, as long as your story supports said ending. 

Re: What kind of endings do y'all like better. Happy, Bittersweet, Tragic, or open ended.

If given the choice, I'm probably more of a happy ending person, but I'm open to different options depending on the plot and the circumstances leading up to the ending. The happy ending is nice and all, especially since I just enjoy some popcorn media for fun and relaxation, but if you've set up a bleak situation and want to pull into a happy ending, you'll need to make it reasonable within the context of the plot. I burnt out on The Walking Dead years ago but even I know it'd be weird if suddenly all of the zombies just went away and everyone stopped having whatever drama and politics they're having at the moment with no build-up to address it properly.

I like a satisfying ending, but a good ending for me depends on how it's executed vs how the rest of the story plays out.

If I read a story about a main character that keeps getting beaten down, I don't want a tragic or bittersweet ending. I want the character to reach a point where they've overcome something, won, or just are finally happy. I'm just not a fan of stories that are a tragedy from beginning to end. 

If it's a generally mixed story with lots of ups and down, I'm fine with any sort of ending as long as it makes sense and fits the story.

I prefer bittersweet by far just because it gives that good balance of depressing and memorable stuff, and also uplifting stuff. Purely happy or tragic endings can sometimes feel forced.

Most endings I’d argue are bittersweet to some degree (mostly in genres like action and adventure). It’s very hard to get a purely happy ending with no sad/depressing aspects at all to it (although that is not really the case with things like slice of life or comedy).

On one end of the bittersweet spectrum you get like Mortal Engines, Maze Runner or (for anime fans out there) the first season of 86, where everything is “for the best” and most characters get their desired outcome. Mostly sweet, but also some bitter aspects. On the other end you get things like Chaos;child, Your Lie in April, Anohana, things like that. Where, although the overall tone is happy, it’s still depressing as hell.

But happy or tragic endings can be done very well too. Your Name and Weathering With You both have arguably purely happy endings which don’t feel forced at all.