Niche Genre - How To Find Fans?

You heard it here, folks, not everyone is writing a LitRPG. No, no, settle down LitRPG folks, I'm just making a joke.

In all seriousness, there are pretty distinctly two different sides of RR's offerings: things that fit into the most popular current trend, and things that brazenly buck against said trend, whatever it may be. I've seen the words 'LitRPG' and 'Cultivation' more times in the last month or so than I have previously in my entire life. This isn't a bad thing - certainly there's a drawn to these things, especially options like Isekais or other power-fantasy style scenarios. However, some people are (for a multitude of reasons) not doing that.

People on either side find success, without a doubt, but obviously there's benefits and drawbacks to both. If you post an Isekai Cultivation LitRPG, you're fighting against a ton of other, wildly more popular options to gain readership, so even if your story is amazing and your writing is phenomenal you'll struggle to garner attention. If you post cyberpunk post-apocalyptic romance poems... Well, you know. There'll be people who will LOVE your work, and be enthused about it with undying attention... but there will also be, like, 10 of them, and they'll be hard as hell to find.

So, the question is, how does someone with a more niche fiction find their ideal readership? How can we strange fellows reach out to the weirdos of the writing world and say 'Hey, you, person who's always wanted to read a Non-human Lead/Fantasy/Second Person Omniscient/Tragedy/Comedy about a druid's pet goat: I've got the damn story for you'*?

*I should note my own story is not that. I'm sorry if I've riled anyone up.

Re: Niche Genre - How To Find Fans?

slow and steady wins the race with small communities 
cult followings take time to form, like affection or trees
advertising works, but word of mouth seems faster here
fans will introduce new fans who won't soon disappear

i don't have much good advice, but i can say "good luck!"
you'll always have forum friends if you ever feel stuck
like a farmer, take a break once all the seeds are sowed
it's about the journey, after all, it's royal road

peoeating

eric_river Wrote:
slow and steady wins the race with small communities 
cult followings take time to form, like affection or trees
advertising works, but word of mouth seems faster here
fans will introduce new fans who won't soon disappear

i don't have much good advice, but i can say "good luck!"
you'll always have forum friends if you ever feel stuck
like a farmer, take a break once all the seeds are sowed
it's about the journey, after all, it's royal road

peoeating
How musical. I'd give you rep if I hadn't already done so twice today, you silly little lyricist. <3 

I'm also wondering the same so I'm not the best to give advice, but I'd say

1) Find a schedule that suits you and update based on that schedule so people know when to expect more of your story. I'm in the process of doing that myself.
2) Don't expect it to happen fast, or you'll burn yourself out quickly because of expectations. I've done that when publishing on other sites.
3) I don't actually have a third thing but these things usually come in threes, so... Have fun?

I wish you every success in your journey on RR, and speaking as someone who's read some of your story, I'm confident you'll do really well! Have a great day and best of luck!

Hathnuz Wrote: Just write wish-fulfilment stories. You don't need mainstream genres to do that, though they help.

You can advertise as much as you want, but it'll be pointless if most people don't like the core premise.

Blahhhh, not my thing. I don’t like power fantasies or wish fulfillment except in dating sims, and even then it’s… questionable. I don’t need to be the next great author of RR’s times, and even if I did, I wouldn’t want to do it by pandering or writing a story I didn’t care about. If the passion’s gone, then it’s not art anymore. 

MarcieTheVillain Wrote: Blahhhh, not my thing. I don’t like power fantasies or wish fulfillment except in dating sims, and even then it’s… questionable. I don’t need to be the next great author of RR’s times, and even if I did, I wouldn’t want to do it by pandering or writing a story I didn’t care about. If the passion’s gone, then it’s not art anymore.
Your best bet probably go to other forums or find some communities who love the niche genre. I can list a few of them: facebook pages, tumblr, discord, reddit, goodreads, etc.

MarcieTheVillain Wrote:
Haust Wrote: You can always advertise on other forums, where your particular niche is what everybody is there for.
Hmm!

I like this idea a lot. Do you have any idea where to start looking? I know there’s supposedly a Reddit for everything, but, is there REEEEEALLY such a place? I’ve considered Twitter too, but I’m not sure where to begin with all that…
Glancing at the fiction summary, it seems like horror and undeath fans would be a possible target audience? That's a huge niche market, especially since Halloween is coming up. Also consider where you already spend your free time. What communities are you already part of that might love to read your story? Are you part of horror groups on Facebook, ect? Chances are, since you probably like whatever you're writing about, you'll find some overlap with the rest of your online presence. 

Haust Wrote:
MarcieTheVillain Wrote:
Haust Wrote: You can always advertise on other forums, where your particular niche is what everybody is there for.
Hmm!

I like this idea a lot. Do you have any idea where to start looking? I know there’s supposedly a Reddit for everything, but, is there REEEEEALLY such a place? I’ve considered Twitter too, but I’m not sure where to begin with all that…
Glancing at the fiction summary, it seems like horror and undeath fans would be a possible target audience? That's a huge niche market, especially since Halloween is coming up. Also consider where you already spend your free time. What communities are you already part of that might love to read your story? Are you part of horror groups on Facebook, ect? Chances are, since you probably like whatever you're writing about, you'll find some overlap with the rest of your online presence.

Well… I’m actually not that active on Facebook, haha! I planned to make a personal one soon, but I’ll have to look into things… phew. Being an amateur writer is hard. I’ll try my best, though!