Re: I thought of a cool novel storyline

Sake Wrote: And got excited over it.

The problem is I'm already writing two other novels, and constantly ruminating over the new one slows down my work on my ongoing projects.

Dat ever happen to you? Wat do?
Two options you have here.

1. Make note of the idea, and do a plan ahead of time.
—> When you finish your current work, you can jump over to the new one.

2. Write it at the same time.
—> In case of this option, plan it out, and write a certain amount of words per day.

Wait two weeks. Seriously, if I think of an interesting idea, and it stays with me for two weeks in my head, that idea is worth something. Then I start writing some things down. I never give it priority. If I forget it in like four days, then I just move on and continue what I'm doing. I don't even look back at the idea.

Seriously, I learned not to chase butterfly ideas long ago. It keeps me from having a bunch of unfinished work. And even with the two-week simmer, the chance for abandoning is high and I never finish them.

My entire life has been nothing but having ten plot ideas in my head at any given time, lol. Right now I'm giving myself a little bit of time to plan the other stories when I've done enough work on my main one or when I need a change of pace. Once I finish writing new chapters for my main story and just have editing/revising left, that's probably when I'll start dedicating more time to writing out my drafts of the new ones. 

I currently have 25 stories rolling around in my head, sucking up dozens of Word docs, all in various stages of undress. Most of them have beginnings, a few have their middles and ends written out, in third-grader-worth fashion. Of the rest, they exist as 10,000 to 20,000 word dribbles that I affectionately call Monkey Bangings, having written them stream-of-conscious style, in one marathon typing session using my club-footed hands.

I also have dozens of well written scenes, where I use plot points and twists from my stories to enter contests and challenges. It's fun! As a further furthermore, most of my stories came to me as dreams, so I have an image of them in my mind that plays like a movie in my head when I think about them. 

So that's nice. 😸

Sake Wrote: And got excited over it.

The problem is I'm already writing two other novels, and constantly ruminating over the new one slows down my work on my ongoing projects.

Dat ever happen to you? Wat do?

Just keep jotting down anymore ideas that pop up and keep it safe in a folder somewhere. Came back to it when you can, but try to have one project as the main focus or else, you may not finish any of them.

If the idea is big enough, I'll do a rough plot to get it out of my mind for the time being. I'll never run out of stuff to write this way. 
I'm doing the NaNoWriMo every year, so it is nice to have a project ahead of time that I can expand on in-depth before starting in November.

Normally, I don't do several big projects at the same time. If it is an idea for a short story and my backlog for my current project is big enough, I just might spend some time and write it. Often it is good to have some variety to the big project.