Do You Take Writing Inspiration from Video Games?

I love Final Fantasy VII so much and it absolutely inspires some aspects of my writing. Does anyone else have a game that inspires them to write?

I'm also playing a sort of Pokemon clone called Nexomon and I adore it so much!! Of course I love Pokemon to bits and pieces, but this other game is cute and simplified and so well done! It's really fun playing a game in which I have no idea what the 'mons are gonna end up looking like in the end.

Re: Do You Take Writing Inspiration from Video Games?

I feel like there are multiple layers of writing that can be gleaned from video games.

In terms of plot, dialogue--Hell, everything really--Shadow of the Colossus is my go to. It's a masterclass example in how to deliver an essay's worth of understanding without saying much of anything at all. Of course, something like that doesn't translate the best to writing, but it's nevertheless good to expand you writing meta and understand what does and doesn't work for a given medium.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Metal Gear Solid series does a fantastic job of teaching dialogue and plot twisting in that signature way that Kojima likes to write. It's also a fascinating example of non-linear story telling between titles. It also does fanservice quite a bit, so if you're looking on how to write that. Uh... There you go.

You mentioned FFVII and I agree, the writing of that game is pretty good. I myself prefer FFXII over the other FF games, but the series itself is actually a great exercise is analyzing similar themes and writing styles through the lens of several different settings and characters.

Different mediums open up analysis that simply can't be performed when reading a book. And while a lot of the information doesn't translate very well across mediums I think it's important to expand your horizons with writing. (That way we end up with less FFXIII's in the future.)

the pacing of pokemon games is simply masterful
addicting and compelling, red and blue were wonderful
i also think that different mediums can educate
i'm often inspired by things i don't anticipate

lots of rpg games help my story telling grow
sci fi games can broaden my imagination though
i like how games deal with introducing characters
plus there's lots of crossover with readers and gamers

Zeepolian Wrote: I feel like there are multiple layers of writing that can be gleaned from video games.

In terms of plot, dialogue--Hell, everything really--Shadow of the Colossus is my go to. It's a masterclass example in how to deliver an essay's worth of understanding without saying much of anything at all. Of course, something like that doesn't translate the best to writing, but it's nevertheless good to expand you writing meta and understand what does and doesn't work for a given medium.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Metal Gear Solid series does a fantastic job of teaching dialogue and plot twisting in that signature way that Kojima likes to write. It's also a fascinating example of non-linear story telling between titles. It also does fanservice quite a bit, so if you're looking on how to write that. Uh... There you go.

You mentioned FFVII and I agree, the writing of that game is pretty good. I myself prefer FFXII over the other FF games, but the series itself is actually a great exercise is analyzing similar themes and writing styles through the lens of several different settings and characters.

Different mediums open up analysis that simply can't be performed when reading a book. And while a lot of the information doesn't translate very well across mediums I think it's important to expand your horizons with writing. (That way we end up with less FFXIII's in the future.)

I'm also very fond of FXII! I think it's so underrated. (and I agree XIII was trash) And Kojima is notorious for writing some pretty amazing games.

eric_river Wrote:
the pacing of pokemon games is simply masterful
addicting and compelling, red and blue were wonderful
i also think that different mediums can educate
i'm often inspired by things i don't anticipate

lots of rpg games help my story telling grow
sci fi games can broaden my imagination though
i like how games deal with introducing characters
plus there's lots of crossover with readers and gamers

Oh yes! Games do the best job of introducing characters. Dramatic entrances are so memorable! :)

JLCohen Wrote: I love Final Fantasy VII so much and it absolutely inspires some aspects of my writing. Does anyone else have a game that inspires them to write?

I have had many story ideas be born out of me playing a game or watching a video. At one time I had a Red Dead Redemption 2 story born out of me playing the game and thinking what if Arthur Morgan didn't get tuberculosis and lived well into the 20th century. Sadly that story has been on the back burner for a while now as I just can't seem to work out how I want to get him to leave the gang before the game's story kicks off and his fate is sealed.

So yes at times I do get some of my ideas as I'm playing a good game.

Yes, from dark souls.

Though I slowly came to realize that when people ask me what I am inspired by, they actually ask me what I'm ripping off.

In that case, they shouldn't cotton it, and say straight what they think. And the answer to that question is: I rip off nothing.

When I say I'm inspired by dark souls in my fiction, I mean I am inspired by themes of nihilistic neglect, and entropic decay presented in these stories. The world of dark souls is doomed, and prolonging its existence, paid at the great price of eternal suffering, only makes things worse in the long term. It's a world where euthanasia is the goal, and the end is the ultimate mercy.

Also, the recurring tragedy and the theme of fatum is not missed on me. And this...is my inspiration. 

I think that when you play a lot of games some of the plot elements get instilled in you. Sometimes on purpose like getting inspired by designs/ environments in games like the FF series or God Eater. Plot is also important in most games with many spearheading ideas not many explored before such as the .hack// games that brought the concept of being stuck in a game.

They bring about concepts and ideas that stick with you but it's up to an author's interpretation to change and expand the piece to make it more than what it already is.

All three of my books are heavly inspired by videogames. 

Goddess' chosen was initially inspired by Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy but has other inspirations based on what I've played so far, including FFXIV, Nier and Yakuza. 

Serendipity is inspired a lot by JRPG's, with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being what inspired me to write it.

My latest one, Code Scarlet, a lot of Destiny and Xenosaga is in this book.

So yeah... I take a lot of inspiration from video games and I don't shy away from any of it.