Re: How to solve this plot problem without alienating readers?

Only because they are criminals, doesn't mean they are all evil people without morals. Often the most law-abiding people are most corrupt. Only because someone did a little swindling, or robbing, or screwed up and murdered someone and got caught, doesn't inherently mean they are honorless monkeys who are going to rape given half a chance. 

There is a reason pedophiles are known to have a tough time in prison.

As with any prison yard newcomer, she needs to walk up to the biggest meanest bad-ass in the bunch and beat the sh*t out of him.

And then the next one too, and so on, until she works her way down to a bad-ass who shows her respect. Then she makes that guy her new friend, and works her way back up the line, giving each bad-ass she's beaten the opportunity to be her friend as well.

If they say yes, that is great. Another friend. If they say no, she beats their ass again. 

That's how it works. You know. Prison yard rules. 😼

They're in a VRMMO, a prison, no less. Why not restrict what the prisoners can do to prevent them from being able to commit rape? If you're deadset against that, the only way she'd be able to avoid being forced is to bunk up with a leader. Someone strong enough to protect her. Someone respected by the rest of the crew. That could even set up a story arc where a mutiny breaks out, and her protected status comes into doubt. You could have some pretty interesting horror moments after that. 

ArDeeBurger Wrote: As with any prison yard newcomer, she needs to walk up to the biggest meanest bad-ass in the bunch and beat the sh*t out of him.

And then the next one too, and so on, until she works her way down to a bad-ass who shows her respect. Then she makes that guy her new friend, and works her way back up the line, giving each bad-ass she's beaten the opportunity to be her friend as well.

If they say yes, that is great. Another friend. If they say no, she beats their ass again. 

That's how it works. You know. Prison yard rules.

The problem with that is that the author said that she doesn't yet have any combat skills. It's entirely unbelievable for a regular woman to beat up a single man, let alone a hardened criminal, let alone a hardened criminal who has been in the system for a while and so would have skills. In fiction, you can write what you want, but as a reader I wouldn't believe that at all and so I wouldn't read it... Unless there's a good reason for why she's significantly stronger than most women.

1. All female server. Real life prisons are divided between men and women for a damn good reason. Seriously, if the game devs can create a pirate VRMMORPG to house prisoners of all things, then creating two (or more) separate servers isn't going to be an expensive solution to having the public not rage at them for letting women get raped indefinitely in prison. This is basically just tossing them into misery. If you want to include men in your story, you could do what some MMORPG's do with towns and cities - make them 'common ground' but as soon as you leave them, you enter a private instance that is only accessible to you and your party. Make it so that there are shared areas where people can trade, fight, get laid, do whatever. And then once they leave those areas, the population is divided by the individuals sex or gender or whatever. 

2. Pull an Anne Bonnie and crossdress tf out of this shit. 

3. ABORT MISSION, ABORT MISSION, AVOID EVERYONE. 

4. All female crews. 

5. Make sure she doesn't run into anyone else until she has something she can barter with. As long as she can buy the loyalty of the majority, she at least has a lifeline. 

6. She runs into a male, but entirely gay, pirate crew. 

Clone_v2 Wrote: The problem with that is that the author said that she doesn't yet have any combat skills. It's entirely unbelievable for a regular woman to beat up a single man, let alone a hardened criminal, let alone a hardened criminal who has been in the system for a while and so would have skills. In fiction, you can write what you want, but as a reader I wouldn't believe that at all and so I wouldn't read it... Unless there's a good reason for why she's significantly stronger than most women.
While what you say is entirely true, the author has already set up a whole string of unbelieveable premises. 

Mei is a political prisoner. A person of moral standard who refuses to kowtow to evil overlords. It would stand to reason that many, if not most of the other prisoners are political prisoners as well. As such, she probably won't have to so much as even pop the first bad-ass in the nose to find out he's actually a man of moral standard as well.

The MMORPG the evil overords are using in leiu of actual prisons is designed to rehabilitate people. Allowing rapists to run rampart would not further such an endeavor.

Built into the system is a 'safety measure' that allows people to 'fight back.' So fighting is what the system expects Mei to do.

The system allows people to 'buy back their freedom' through some sort of unexplained fake currency (since in a coma-induced MMORPG, there is no such thing as real money.) Having a female on the team would be an asset rather than a hindrance to schemes designed to procure this currency. So if she proves herself to be a tough chick rather than a useless pussy, any team she becomes a part of will gain greater respect-money-loot simply by her inclusion, and thus more likely be able to buy their freedom.

Most readers like MCs who are capable heroes, and not loser victims. A few paragraphs written to show Mei winning her first battle will go a long way towards promoting her worth to the story, especially if her first win comes at the expense of a 'selfish and cruel and stupid' rapist.

I could go on, but I think you may see that Mei means to show strength and not weakness against a 'stupid' foe if this story is to be a success.

😸

ArDeeBurger Wrote: Most readers like MCs who are capable heroes, and not loser victims. A few paragraphs written to show Mei winning her first battle will go a long way towards promoting her worth to the story, especially if her first win comes at the expense of a 'selfish and cruel and stupid' rapist.
I think strength for women and strength for men manifest in different ways. Winning her first battle, to me, despite what you said, doesn't seem realistic. I don't think a woman has to be a man to be badass. I think a better route, seeing as special powers are being put to one side, is for her to rise in power through her strong will and strategy. Even if she has to be a damsel in distress, when done to further her own goals, and done on her own terms, I'd say that's still pretty badass, and it's more realistic than succeeding in the realm of physical combat before she has any combat skills. 

The first thing I thought of was giving the male buccaneers a leader with some sort of moral code. It makes sense that a group of pirates would already have an established captain. Maybe Mei reminds him of his sister, maybe he has some sort of sin to atone for, maybe he doesn't care for women. For whatever reason, be it kindness or viewing her as a future asset, he protects/teachers her long enough that she starts to win them over. She was a political prisoner, so she's probably bright and has a way with words to strike a bargain. If she has no combat skills then the idea of her bludgeoning any of them into submission just isn't realistic. However you decide, I personally would stay far away from the bargaining with sex angle.

There are a lot of ways to proceed here as others have mentioned. At the end of the day, it comes down to whatever you want to write. I think if executed correctly (with a LOT if tact) a character using [Redacted] as a tool makes for some really strong characterization. What everyone else said here is very valid, 
Sake Wrote: Only because they are criminals, doesn't mean they are all evil people without morals. Often the most law-abiding people are most corrupt. Only because someone did a little swindling, or robbing, or screwed up and murdered someone and got caught, doesn't inherently mean they are honorless monkeys who are going to rape given half a chance. 

There is a reason pedophiles are known to have a tough time in prison.

I particularly agree with sake vision here. Just because it's set in a prison doesn't mean that everyone has to be chaotic evil. 

I think if you treat the issue with a lot of respect it could be a really powerful and dramatic tale. I know that I would be interested in reading that story (as long as it's treated seriously, I'm too used to stories that give r18 content no respect at all and it's like reading an edgy teenager's wish fulfillment)

Tldr; if you take it that direction treat the subject with respect.

But that's just like my opinion man 

Hi_Im_Ren Wrote: I think if you treat the issue with a lot of respect it could be a really powerful and dramatic tale. I know that I would be interested in reading that story (as long as it's treated seriously, I'm too used to stories that give r18 content no respect at all and it's like reading an edgy teenager's wish fulfillment)
Yes. That is the key to stories with sex in them -- the sex needs to further the plot. Another thing to consider is that most people -- especially young people -- like to be viewed as being pretty, or handsome if they are a guy. And that viewpoint comes not so much from having a cute face or a hunky body, but moreso from doing good deeds and showing valor and earning respect.

Being a skank or acting like a dickhead will not get people to think you are pretty.