Re: Royalroad is becoming like webnovel (in terms of quality of fiction)

Hmm…I have been noticing this, never gave it much thought though. Anyway, story trend changes over time. So long as it doesn’t become like wattpad, I don’t have an issue. Wattpad is where one type of fiction is prevalent, and every other one has next to no chance. 

Anyway, I almost never read anything online. Not unless I have some sort of connection with someone, even then it is rare. Why? My preferences are extremely specific.

ArDeeBurger Wrote: I only read stories about ducks. It keeps my library thin.
if your duck story library is thin, there's something wrong
haven't ducks starred in all the best fictions for so long?!
finitemeans Wrote: Anyone else noticing this trend?
i think that what your noticing is not such a bad thing
lots of newly inspired authors trying out writing
let them have their fun, some of them do make it quite big
otherwise, it's fine to just keep reading what we dig
peolove

finitemeans Wrote: I'm noticing that is becoming quite scary to try out new fiction. The number of self indulgent wish fulfillment type stories seem to be increasing.

Anyone else noticing this trend?
This so called trend is hitting fiction as a whole to be fair, much like how isekai was the hot thing a while ago.

New authors trying to capitalize on the thing that's being popular is also very normal. 

It'll pass once the next trend hits.

Avitue Wrote:
finitemeans Wrote: I'm noticing that is becoming quite scary to try out new fiction. The number of self indulgent wish fulfillment type stories seem to be increasing.

This so called trend is hitting fiction as a whole to be fair, much like how isekai was the hot thing a while ago.

New authors trying to capitalize on the thing that's being popular is also very normal. 

It'll pass once the next trend hits.
Still sad that the necromancer trend never got that big

I believe this is called catering to the market :P

Just kidding XD. I forget who said it but ones' willingness to slum themselves in the muck of Literature with capital L was a function inversely correlated with their age after the clock hit the dreadful twenty-five.

This is also how Japanese WN/LN started. They have insane work culture where most employees doesn't come home until 8-9 p.m. Which of course as its consequence, sapped those employees brain power to bare minimum. What? Do you want us to think about dreadful world outside? How your novel was told from the perspective colonialism apologist? How it explored the depth of 'just following order'. How it bares poverty, and not the one where the character was an upstart, coming, progressive, the world is my oyster type, but from the struggle of a single mother of two who just trying their best?

Well, the sad fact is, most of readers already get beaten by the real world outside, so entertainment which reading a novel is a part of, is a chance for them to feel like they are a hero again. Of course, some capitalize it in the worst way possible; wish-fulfillment without depth. Which Webnovel is a part of (just take a look at their video introduction to their new writers, I know it's overused, but watching their videos were like the moment I lost my faith in humanity).

Anyway, consider this: 

When you had only 10 bucks in your pocket and your chance was between a McD and some newfangled pop-up that you know nothing about, which one would you choose?

As it turned out, like most things, different people have different answer. Yet there's a reason why fast food remains popular.