Re: What makes someone successful on here?

It's a mixture of luck and writing in a style that appeals to short attention spans. Gotta get that dopamine out quickly through low barriers to entry, constantly rising tensions, and whatever tricks you've got up your sleeve that don't create "substance". 

I expect people to point out chasing the popular genres help, but I don't think that's what it is. It's just people writing these japense inspired portal fantasies have no pretention about what they're doing and will gladly write in the approved style, or even that's how they learned to write in the first place. Someone writing sci-fi, fantasy, drama "real books", won't cut those corners to sacrifice their vision. 

Ariana Wrote: The tags LitRPG, Isekai, Portal Fantasy, Progression, Game-Lit, Vilaneous Lead, Cultivation automatically bring you readers. Whether you are able to keep them or not depends on the quality of the writing, how innovative the story is, how good the pacing is. But hey, what do I know, I am not writing in those genres peolaughing .
From the trends I observed, this does indeed seem to be the case.

I can't give advice about that either though, as I probably write a bit of an antithesis to that myself 

Re: What makes you successful here?

I do things a bit different, which I think is refreshing to those who're burned out on the same old formula.

- Underpowered main characters who have to deal with the world without unique cheat powers, often who have their own mental problems getting in the way. Focus on coming up with solutions using what's available and working within constraints.

- Side characters who have distinct motivations and won't end up just orbiting the MCs without a very good reason to do so.

- And since I've been working toward traditional publication for a long time, I put a bit more focus on prose quality than the average web serial.

It's definitely not the formula for runaway success here, but over the course of the three major projects I've been posting the past two years I've somehow accumulated a far bigger following than I'd ever imagined I could. :) When I first started out, I'd be lucky to get a single comment, now I can almost guarantee I'll have at least two or three people thanking me for every chapter I post!

Slow and steady may not always win the race, when you've got people who are steady and fast to compete with, but it's enough to reach the finish line. It's a marathon, and making it to the end with people to cheer you on is success enough.

StgBria Wrote: It's a mixture of luck and writing in a style that appeals to short attention spans. Gotta get that dopamine out quickly through low barriers to entry, constantly rising tensions, and whatever tricks you've got up your sleeve that don't create "substance". 

I expect people to point out chasing the popular genres help, but I don't think that's what it is. It's just people writing these japense inspired portal fantasies have no pretention about what they're doing and will gladly write in the approved style, or even that's how they learned to write in the first place. Someone writing sci-fi, fantasy, drama "real books", won't cut those corners to sacrifice their vision.
Haha, yeah that's a good point, that dopamine lol 

Ariana Wrote: The tags LitRPG, Isekai, Portal Fantasy, Progression, Game-Lit, Vilaneous Lead, Cultivation automatically bring you readers. Whether you are able to keep them or not depends on the quality of the writing, how innovative the story is, how good the pacing is. But hey, what do I know, I am not writing in those genres peolaughing .
Ok, im glad there are people who arent, i was a bit concerned when i heard that those tags were a thing, because none of the stories i already wrote fit them really. 

Asviloka Wrote: I do things a bit different, which I think is refreshing to those who're burned out on the same old formula.

- Underpowered main characters who have to deal with the world without unique cheat powers, often who have their own mental problems getting in the way. Focus on coming up with solutions using what's available and working within constraints.

- Side characters who have distinct motivations and won't end up just orbiting the MCs without a very good reason to do so.

- And since I've been working toward traditional publication for a long time, I put a bit more focus on prose quality than the average web serial.

It's definitely not the formula for runaway success here, but over the course of the three major projects I've been posting the past two years I've somehow accumulated a far bigger following than I'd ever imagined I could. :) When I first started out, I'd be lucky to get a single comment, now I can almost guarantee I'll have at least two or three people thanking me for every chapter I post!

Slow and steady may not always win the race, when you've got people who are steady and fast to compete with, but it's enough to reach the finish line. It's a marathon, and making it to the end with people to cheer you on is success enough.
That's pretty cool! I did everything backward and published first, and now I'm stuck in my old ways of structuring a story for a book, and now I'm trying to learn about how people do things here for a change of pace. It's really interesting how chapters are shared before the whole story is done and that a writer has a story that is ever-changing in front of an audience. I also like the concept of feed back on each chapter, its really cool to know what people think (good or bad) while you're in the middle of a story. 

i consider myself a success for what it's worth
i think i've made the longest song of its kind on this earth
on the way, i made some friends, that's good enough for me
but i do want to try writing my own lit rpg 

all i mean to say is try and have fun on the way
journey versus destination, that's what they all say
writing what you love and writing for a target crowd
both can be quite fun, but just chillaxing is allowed

DrakanAmused

JRBANCROFT Wrote: its really cool to know what people think (good or bad) while you're in the middle of a story.
Agreed! Often, it's reader feedback that helps shape a deeper understanding of the events and characters. Having multiple different perspectives to draw upon gives a broader view of the story and can help strengthen it significantly.

Of course feedback can be detrimental if you follow blindly, so it's important to give each comment consideration as to whether it's correct or incorrect for the direction of the story.

I consider premise, book title, book cover, and synopsis to be the most important aspects in creating a popular novel on RR, in that order. 

The most popular books on RR use the title and book cover to provide a hook and a promise before the reader has even read the synopsis. The synopsis then builds on that, immediately telling the reader what they can expect from the book. They are almost hooked before they even begin reading, and by that point all you need to do is deliver on that promise and make sure your writing is readable.

The reason I think premise is the most important aspect is because before anything else, you must have an idea that hits the market. Without that, there's a good chance any hook or promise made through the title and synopsis will fall flat.

Alex Wrote: I consider premise, book title, book cover, and synopsis to be the most important aspects in creating a popular novel on RR, in that order. 

The most popular books on RR use the title and book cover to provide a hook and a promise before the reader has even read the synopsis. The synopsis then builds on that, immediately telling the reader what they can expect from the book. They are almost hooked before they even begin reading, and by that point all you need to do is deliver on that promise and make sure your writing is readable.

The reason I think premise is the most important aspect is because before anything else, you must have an idea that hits the market. Without that, there's a good chance any hook or promise made through the title and synopsis will fall flat.
I agree. First impressions are hard, marketing is a funnel the more people going in the top the more popular you'll get. Even if your writing is so god-tier that you retain every single reader 100% forever, it won't matter at all if you only get 10 readers. The things that you have to watch out for are any details that can make someone click off without clicking to chapter one — the factors you can control are the premise, book title, book cover, synopsis, and opening lines up until the hook. The factors you can't control are reviews, ratings, and yes even follower count.

If you want to get successful on RR: first write quality work (this impacts reviews and ratings), then figure out how to get people to read the first chapter (premise, book title, book cover, synopsis, and opening lines up until the hook).

Upload schedule is also SUPER important, as it affects the top line impressions that you get.

I said to myself one day I'll make an info-graphic, today is not that day.

This is my philosophy, and while I'm not explosively successful I have a steady flow of followers and finally hit rising stars.

Ayer12 Wrote: Honestly, a large amount of luck but also writing the "right" stuff the "right" way. What readers on RR enjoy are progression fantasies and power trips. The story does not need a lot of depth or elaborate character arcs, though they're really helpful.

The most important thing is, as mentioned above, being a fast-paced dopamine overload.
Ask yourself though? Is the story you want to write one of those? 

If it's not, don't do it, it'd just make you regret forcing yourself to write something you don't want to.

I just went to hell with it and wrote what I wanted to write instead, enjoyed myself way more.

;^; at least I've got "Villainous lead" down!  f in the chat for you writing in a different genre on RR!!!
personally, I love cultivation novels and villainous leads, but I am not the reader for portal fantasy, isekai, or LitRPG by any means

I am still glad I found a website that's a bit more open to the fantasy genre. On wattpad it felt like I was reading my life's work to a very judgmental cactus: a silent rare audience, prickly if provoked.