I forgot to save and lost 1000 words and an hour of writing.

I forgot that for some reason auto save is only a premium thing and decided to close the tab for a brief moment. When I returned I realized I lost nearly half my chapter. Granted there is a great side to the and that is, now that I have the scene in my head detail for detail, I turned that 1000 words, to around 1500 words in the same amount of time.

This begs a question though. I get why some things are premium only, but why auto save and seeing a stories followers. Everything I get except for that and I would like an explanation.

Re: I forgot to save and lost 1000 words and an hour of writing.

I'm guessing it's to sweeten the deal for premium. Also, autosave probably requires extra resources to function which is why you don't see it everywhere. Makes sense to charge for it, otherwise can you imagine thousands of auto saves happening on the site at once? I'm just guessing though. I'm not too much of a technical person.

I would never write a first draft of any project online though. Just seems safer to use a free writing program like OpenOffice or something else with auto save and recovery options encase the power goes out.

That sucks. But if it means anything, I once lost two and a half novels when my computer's hard drive crashed. Well over 200,000 words lost, and one novel was thoroughly edited. I tried disk cloning software (Acronis and Clonezilla), but could not savage anything. 

Hopefully, my misery will make you feel at least okay in comparison. :-)

PS. I now currently save everything to Google Drive, copy and pasting here. That way, I always have a backup on Google's servers. 

Leo Wrote: That sucks. But if it means anything, I once lost two and a half novels when my computer's hard drive crashed. Well over 200,000 words lost, and one novel was thoroughly edited. I tried disk cloning software (Acronis and Clonezilla), but could not savage anything. 

PS. I now currently save everything to Google Drive, copy and pasting here. That way, I always have a backup on Google's servers.

I read that clutching my hand over my heart. Jesus Christ if that ever happened to to me I would just lose all motivation to write.

tfisb Wrote: Be sure never to offend Google.  I’ve heard that getting an account unsuspended is near impossible.

Indeed. Beware all monopolistic corporations. That's why I save locally and on Google, just to be safe. Though I doubt I'll ever offend them, it always pays to be safe. And until I tick them off, I'll use their servers as an automatic backup. Easier than backing up to a WD backup drive, which I forget to do way too often... even after that fiasco. 

Gryphon10 Wrote: I read that clutching my hand over my heart. Jesus Christ if that ever happened to to me I would just lose all motivation to write.

LOL. I remember having to go out for a loooooong run that day because I was boiling over, frothing at the mouth, and ready to smash the PC. So I know how you feel, Even "just a thousand words) takes hours to put together. Writing is so much harder than it looks. :-)

Leo Wrote: That sucks. But if it means anything, I once lost two and a half novels when my computer's hard drive crashed. Well over 200,000 words lost, and one novel was thoroughly edited. I tried disk cloning software (Acronis and Clonezilla), but could not savage anything.

Reading things like this is exactly why I started backing up multiple ways. Right now I use my main hard drive, dropbox, and an external drive, just to make sure that I have a few failsafes. I can't even imagine losing two and a half novels.

Gryphon10 Wrote: I forgot that for some reason auto save is only a premium thing and decided to close the tab for a brief moment. When I returned I realized I lost nearly half my chapter. Granted there is a great side to the and that is, now that I have the scene in my head detail for detail, I turned that 1000 words, to around 1500 words in the same amount of time.

This begs a question though. I get why some things are premium only, but why auto save and seeing a stories followers. Everything I get except for that and I would like an explanation.

At least you wrote more this time around. Guess using save states isn’t such a bad idea now is it?

That joke aside, I have wondered the same.