Tell your outlines into a rough draft, Show your rewrites into a real draft

My new (possibly stupid) theory is that writing which is mainly telling and dialogue flows faster and easier than higher quality writing with lots of showing.  Maybe this only applies to me, I dunno.  But writing in an environment where I'm supposed to tell and summarize, I wrote more words of fiction today than I have all year, and I'm still relatively eager to write another scene.
peoconfused  DrakanThink

Re: Tell your outlines into a rough draft, Show your rewrites into a real draft

JK-sama Wrote: peoconfusedThis thread and title confuses me. Are we supposed to post examples of rewrites or something?

No, sorry for the confusion.  The title is a proposed writing method; a writing method for me, though of course I'd like to hear if anyone else uses it or thinks it might work well for them..  You're not specifically supposed to do something, but the responses I expected were, "You're encouraging a bad habit." or "Turn those words of 'telling' into good chapters of 'showing', then tell us how fast and easy the method as a whole is."

Re: Tell your outlines into a rough draft, Show your rewrites into a real draft

I definitely 'tell' myself my 1st draft. I use a speech-to-text application to speed up the process. I used to be able to do 3,000wph (words per hour) but with the software I get closer to 5,000-6,000 wph. Problem is, the idea suck, the presentation is terrible, and it's loaded with structural and grammar issues. First drafts in my opinion are meant to be burned - but they're excellent feeding grounds for revisionists and rewriters (which is what I am). 
2nd pass is largely about ditching the bad ideas and refining the good ideas, and then restructuring the beats into something resembling a coherent story. From there it's the hard work.
No one but me sees the 1st and 2nd draft - but they tend to happen so fast (roughly 1 month for 120K words for the first draft, and 1.5 months for the 2nd draft), that I have a pretty ground to work through the 3rd draft - it's hard in writing clarity and in writing to be understood, but easy because the ideas flow really well. Any writer's block I've suffered from was not actually writers block - it was stress through taking on too many responsibilities.