Re: Finished first book!

Well its hard to put a timeline and hours put into it because as I wrote it I was writing the trilogy because a lot of it kind of interweaves because there is time travel involved.  I started actual writing January 2020, and posted the last edited chapter Sunday.   I've had it done except for a few odds and ends since March 2021.  But again, I wrote another 1000+ page novel for book 2 and I'm probably at another 150k words for the third book which I'm doing in a different style so its taking me longer.  I wish I had a better answer for you.  Also I'm editing another novel that takes place in the same world.  I'd say if I was working on it straight, just writing... 6 months?  But this was the third variation of the novel I came up with, the first couple the main character was not very likable.  But I used those by making it multiple time lines so I could say because of this, this changed in her...  I'm rambling here :D    

The secret to it going fast and well for me was character sketches, spreadsheets with characters on listed on them and world building docs.  I could run an RP game in that world easily just by grabbing a system and saying here, make characters, this is the world.  Like the novel barely touches Rome yet, I have a list of all the characters that lived there and interacted with the main characters.  

Oh, I just made sure I wrote as much as I could two hours a night for a while.  The writing came easy it was the editing that was hard (and still missed stuff).  The Editing drives me insane.  Also good music that suits what I'm writing is a boon.  I basically would wait until my son went to bed and put music on and write.  So I guess my advice to stay focused are: Write about something you're passionate about (Make sure you like the characters), and be consistent like its a part time job?  Also build a world build characters.  If you get those two down a lot of times the stuff will write itself.

kivrin_js Wrote: Well its hard to put a timeline and hours put into it because as I wrote it I was writing the trilogy because a lot of it kind of interweaves because there is time travel involved.  I started actual writing January 2020, and posted the last edited chapter Sunday.   I've had it done except for a few odds and ends since March 2021.  But again, I wrote another 1000+ page novel for book 2 and I'm probably at another 150k words for the third book which I'm doing in a different style so its taking me longer.  I wish I had a better answer for you.  Also I'm editing another novel that takes place in the same world.  I'd say if I was working on it straight, just writing... 6 months?  But this was the third variation of the novel I came up with, the first couple the main character was not very likable.  But I used those by making it multiple time lines so I could say because of this, this changed in her...  I'm rambling here :D    

The secret to it going fast and well for me was character sketches, spreadsheets with characters on listed on them and world building docs.  I could run an RP game in that world easily just by grabbing a system and saying here, make characters, this is the world.  Like the novel barely touches Rome yet, I have a list of all the characters that lived there and interacted with the main characters.  

Oh, I just made sure I wrote as much as I could two hours a night for a while.  The writing came easy it was the editing that was hard (and still missed stuff).  The Editing drives me insane.  Also good music that suits what I'm writing is a boon.  I basically would wait until my son went to bed and put music on and write.  So I guess my advice to stay focused are: Write about something you're passionate about (Make sure you like the characters), and be consistent like its a part time job?  Also build a world build characters.  If you get those two down a lot of times the stuff will write itself.
Thank you so much for the advice! 
That's a lot of work done! Kudos again! 

I have a rough outline for my novel but I usually explore the plot only when I'm writing - so sometimes I feel like a reader lol. But I don't think I can keep up this when the plot becomes more complex and when I have to chart out numerous character paths at once. 

I do like my characters but I usually struggle with the world-building since it's fantasy fiction (it's based on Indian and Buddhist mythology but the world created is original so need to think things through, which I haven't done so properly till now). Will try out spreadsheets, character sketches, and world-building docs and see if it helps. Earlier, I used to write only one day per week but now I'm trying to write/edit every day even if it's only a little bit. (I see a lot of difference!)

How do you find inspiration/references for your work? 

Honestly for this one, it was a combination the bible and a Sunday Mass and a single player pen and paper game I ran for a friend.   Other times its just a song that hits me right.  Or sometimes my son wants a story so I tell him one and that gives me ideas.  

I do a lot of pen and paper Rping, mostly as DM.  So when I am building a world I approach it like I am building a world for players.  What do they need to know.  What is too much information and what is too little.  What countries are there, what are their relations like?  What is their trade like?  So fantasy is super easy for me, and then I make characters that inhabit the world.  But you can write a compelling story with a tiny world too, one of my best pieces of writing is a short story of two people on a date in an apple orchard.

kivrin_js Wrote: Honestly for this one, it was a combination the bible and a Sunday Mass and a single player pen and paper game I ran for a friend.   Other times its just a song that hits me right.  Or sometimes my son wants a story so I tell him one and that gives me ideas.  

I do a lot of pen and paper Rping, mostly as DM.  So when I am building a world I approach it like I am building a world for players.  What do they need to know.  What is too much information and what is too little.  What countries are there, what are their relations like?  What is their trade like?  So fantasy is super easy for me, and then I make characters that inhabit the world.  But you can write a compelling story with a tiny world too, one of my best pieces of writing is a short story of two people on a date in an apple orchard.
Yeah! That's a solid approach. I just realized mine is more like explore game to unlock map areas approach lol. But because of lack of proper world-building, the natural flow of writing sometimes gets impeded and I just keep asking myself, "What happens now?" Sometimes, I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel everytime I write like this. Slowly, changing the approach though. 

Will check out your work sometime. The short story sounds interesting, do post the link if it's uploaded here or elsewhere online.