Is Royal Road a safe place?

So as I'm writing my book, I've come up with two other book ideas (it can be a real problem at times) and I wanted to talk to people about main idea and the plot of those stories, if I even have a plot for them yet that is. And so I began to wonder if Royal Road is a safe place for me to talk about my book ideas. Would you guys feel comfortable talking about ideas for books you haven't written yet?
P.S. Although the main question here is if someone will steal my ideas, that not really a worry for me at the moment. I'm not some big time author and if someone took my ideas I'd probably just be curious as to what they come up with. I'm only asking in case I come up with a really good idea later.

Re: Is Royal Road a safe place?

i haven't heard of any plot stealers in my time here
though in the internet age i understand that fear
it's a common practice to make small talk about plots
bouncing ideas back and forth, i've seen that happen lots

you could find people to private message on the site
if you'd like to keep your new plot secret, locked up tight
otherwise, go right ahead and post ideas here
maybe assistance request if something isn't clear

peoeating

No one owns ideas.

Any writer in the world can have the same idea as you and write that idea. They didn't steal that idea from you, they just thought it. In fact, when starting out as a writer, your ideas are likely not as unique as you would like. Ideas aren't worth much at all alone. They may be important to you, but they aren't going to be that important to everyone around you. You shouldn't be too attached to them because some ideas aren't that strong, they can be over your ability to write, or your original idea is lost in the transformation the execution. And that is when an idea becomes something. It's when you write it down and it takes the form of a story. Then that execution of an idea is something you can protect. 

And many people do like to talk about their ideas to others online in helping them flesh them out or get them out overthinking or unable to think of a solution. I've seen it a few times on here. It's not something common I've noticed verses some other communities I've been a part of in the past.

However, I don't talk about my story ideas online. Not for the reason of afraid someone would take them. I'll be shocked if someone would want to steal the nonsense that I have thought of. They are atypical. Though I welcome it just to know I'm not alone in my mindset.

No, the reason why I don't, is that the more I talk about an idea to a bunch of people, the less likely I'm going to write it or I end up not liking it because of some sort of expectation I put on myself to make is as good as I made it sound. If I must say something, it's usually as vague as I can and I'm at the point that I'm already writing it. The only person I usually dump what on my mind in terms of ideas is my hubby. And that's just because saying it aloud usually helps me find solutions for issues I have.

Idea is an idea. It influences and spreads if it resonates with others. Even if someone copied it from you, at the end of day it will be way different from what you've imagined

You can talk and get feedback as much you want. The worst thing that is going to happen is someone getting inspiration from it and create something different, so don't worry about it

DrakanGlasses As if I had time to copy and write someone's idea.
Personally, I understand your fear I also want to share here some of the general ideas and path my upcoming novel might take in the future, yet I somehow fear that someone would steal my idea (I'm just over paranoid, I know).
So instead I post some general and vague ideas to see what would people think of it before I even begin to write it (there's a thread, I published yesterday where I asked people how to write disabled characters as a vague idea, and damn I got some hot ideological fight as replies  DrakanLaugh I should have told them that my character just got an Erectile dysfunctioning not autism, blindness or PTSD)
So my advice is to post it but make it vague, very vague,  the vaguest possible 

The whole genre is based off of stealing ideas lol... and this isn't a bad thing, this is literally how human beings learn, that's how neural networks work. 

Dwarf elf thing is stolen from tolkein.

Stat screen is stolen from dungeons and dragons. 

The isekai and reincarnation and cultivation genres are all framework copy pastes of each other. There are even more specific frameworks like "monsters appearing in subway stations, dungeon break, necromancer MC"

In the end, execution is what matters. If someone was a good author, they could take the most generic and stupid idea such as a "reincarnated warrior retaining some past world cheat knowledge to cheat the system" and turn it into something as successful as second coming of gluttony. 

OrenonawaSteevie Wrote: DrakanGlasses As if I had time to copy and write someone's idea.
Personally, I understand your fear I also want to share here some of the general ideas and path my upcoming novel might take in the future, yet I somehow fear that someone would steal my idea (I'm just over paranoid, I know).
So instead I post some general and vague ideas to see what would people think of it before I even begin to write it (there's a thread, I published yesterday where I asked people how to write disabled characters as a vague idea, and damn I got some hot ideological fight as replies  DrakanLaugh I should have told them that my character just got an Erectile dysfunctioning not autism, blindness or PTSD)
So my advice is to post it but make it vague, very vague,  the vaguest possible
I read a bit of that thread. Try not to listen too much to forum people about anything -ism related. 

I've been playing a gacha game for a week and the entire subreddit (i.e. forum people, a different subsection from readership or playerbase) is complaining about oversexualization, how all the new characters are female, how the company never responds, never develops, removes functionality like pvp, how it's been a year since a story act release and instead dev time is going into girl character events over and over, etc etc etc 

Company doesn't even bother to reply or care and they net 40 mil usd a year as a top 10 gacha game because they have actual data analytics and understand that the oversexualization and female character spam is way too popular among the actual players despite the forum people hating it, and that players will still pay despite all the pvp functionality being removed and the forum people hating it. 

------

Only way to know if disabled character will work is think like the company above

A. Use your own data. Post the chapters and check how the reception is.

B. Use other people's data. See if anyone else wrote a blind character, and how the reaction was to that. How many followers do they have? etc. 

If forum people have an opinion that contradicts your data, I'd much rather trust the data instead. But looking around RR how many disabled characters are there? You're going to have to make your own data set to figure that one out unfortunately. 

Would be a lot easier just to write something with an established proof-of-concept data set like cultivation or dungeon break or rpg or i-was-reborn-a-dragon or i-am-a-dungeon-core or i-am-a-dungeon-trap-item or... 

Something tragic funny just happened mere minutes ago that made me think of this.

There are in-universe news shows on Youtube that are meant to advertise Season 3 of The Boys (the Amazon Prime show). One of the new characters that will be debuting in this season is a female superhero named Moon Shadow.

Since May 2020, I've been planning and outlining and writing a superhero web novel of my own. The main female lead is a female superhero named Moon Shadow.

Now, their Moon Shadow is an African-American swimsuit cover model who teaches body positivity who's successfully lowered her city's crime rate while my Moon Shadow is a Chinese-American teenager suffering through anxiety issues, but it's the same name (I thought of it first. Jeff Bezos is stealing ideas from me). And as far as I know--both legally [someone correct me if I'm wrong] and creatively--that means nothing. These are independently created characters with completely different looks, abilities (ostensibly), and personalities. Worrying about vague ideas or context-lacking character names being used by others isn't relevant. What matters is the execution of your story.

I seriously doubt anyone would steal another author's idea, just because that would be so impractical. I know that I usually have dozens of ideas bouncing around my head at any given time, and it takes some real willpower to focus on one thing instead of switching from concept to concept every five seconds—there's no way I'd add another author's ideas to the pile of stuff I'm already sitting on. And even if someone does "borrow" an idea you came up with, execution is everything. I wouldn't stress about it.