Guilty Pleasures.

Ever had that one moment where you're right in the middle of feeling bored and burnout? Ya. That's me. You're probably wondering how I got here, but that's something I wouldn't say. Anyways, what are some Guilty Pleasures you enjoy?

For me, it's Lofi and Emotional Music mixes.

Re: Guilty Pleasures.

No. Why feel guilty.

I suppose the closest thing I have is incredibly cheesy heavy metal. The cheesier the better.  'Hail Seitan' is a musical and culinary masterpiece. And that one heavy metal IKEA song. 

I do like lofi tho, got any favorite youtube channels? 

Edge Wrote:
HereBeTreasure Wrote: just started playing a gacha game for the first time in my life two days ago, now that's an actual guilty pleasure lol
lol

I have stopped playing Gacha games. Jeez, that was a terrible addiction I spent years trying to break out of. Never getting back into it.

I spent 250$ on genshin impact 

Sake Wrote:
Edge Wrote:
HereBeTreasure Wrote: just started playing a gacha game for the first time in my life two days ago, now that's an actual guilty pleasure lol
lol

I have stopped playing Gacha games. Jeez, that was a terrible addiction I spent years trying to break out of. Never getting back into it.

I spent 250$ on genshin impact
I spent $24 on the gacha I'm playing and already feeling a bit like a whale lol 
edit: make that $42

HereBeTreasure Wrote: I spent $24 on the gacha I'm playing and already feeling a bit like a whale lol 
Just be-careful, they were designed in this way. Just try and always think, that $42 could have been used to buy a full game(several really). As well as, those gacha games will go under one day, and will almost never have an ending. They are made unbalanced on purpose, and constantly try and prey an individuals incapability to stop themselves.

Edge Wrote:
HereBeTreasure Wrote: I spent $24 on the gacha I'm playing and already feeling a bit like a whale lol 
Just be-careful, they were designed in this way. Just try and always think, that $42 could have been used to buy a full game(several really). As well as, those gacha games will go under one day, and will almost never have an ending. They are made unbalanced on purpose, and constantly try and prey an individuals incapability to stop themselves.
Yep gacha games are very successful and predatory. The game I'm playing nets 42 million dollars a year for virtually no developer input. I'm playing half for entertainment and half to kind of understand just how they get to be so addicting and entertaining 

To be honest I pirate all my games unless they need mods or multiplayer lol

But yeah if you look at the company website that made the game

Quote:Passion Back By Data

Our company goal has always been to create and bring fun content to the world. However, we also understand the importance of proper execution and delivery. Our philosophy has always been and always will be to marry our passion and our ability to analyze data so that we can make the most informed decisions. We base our lofty goals on a soild foundation of domestic and global market research we perform ourselves. For this reason alone, every step of the decision making process is made in-house and confirmed through thorough pre-market testing, a high focus on ROAS optimization, and our ability for user acquisition and retention.
We truly believe that by creating and selling our own content, we reach a stronger understanding of the game creation process. As a result, we feel that each game we make gets closer to perfection and ultimately more fun for our users. This is the basis and foundation of our company. As we continues to grow, we have begun to apply this thinking to other exciting business venture opportunities as well.
What this really means is that they kinda used data analysis on every aspect of the game, from the placement of daily mission in the in-game store to draw eyes there to making events limited time to create a sense of scarcity, etc

And the thing is most people know that this is happening but we fall for it anyway. 

Also they talk about ROAS (return from ad spend) as opposed to ROI (return on investment) because if youre not developing the game frequently then theres basically no investment (I) to speak of post launch lol. Most of the expenses are tied to advertisement instead. 

Also the power progression or promise thereof for gacha games is kind of satisfying so as a rr author I'm gonna borrow some elements of that too. First off there is time based progression which is similar to cultivation or simply sitting in a cave near a waterfall collecting spirit essence or whatever. Then there's lottery based progression which is unique to gacha, where there are SR and SSR (super super rare) characters and weapons that may be collected through pulling the banner, and the banners themselves have limits (for example only one pull for beginners) or limited holiday pulls or something like that. 

So if I were to write a reincarnator story, I could talk about how an MC knows the ins and outs of a particular weapon or skillbook gacha system that's hidden within the tutorial, and uses his coins in a way more effectively than his soon-to-be-powerful adversaries, delivering a very satisfying progression payoff that's not so used in webnovels. Well it's used in second coming of gluttony in the form of a vending machine. 

Like for example, everyone else thinks that a particular vending machine in the tutorial is good for obtaining a 5 star weapon for about 1,000 coins. So the big bad guy beats up people and takes their coins to monopolize the 5 star weapon, and it takes like 70 people's worth of coins to get it. But the MC with his reincarnator knowledge knows that there's a way to get a limited time or beginner pull that will grant a 6 star weapon with just 100 coins, and he knows the locations of all the coins with his reincarnator knowledge, thus securing the 6 star weapon.

Then there's probably some sequence about how the big bad guy thinks he's the top of the world with his 5 star weapon, and he confronts MC to bully him, then MC pulls out the 6 star weapon and defeats him and everyone is "How can this be? Impossible!" etc. And there you have one serving of trope spaghetti topped with shredded gacha cheese. 

Voila, gacha progression elements delivered in a satisfying manner in a litrpg lol... 

small con't

And how can I forget the time based progression cheat thing lol...

So the MC is in a waterfall collecting some kind of power up energy, and it "usually takes 5 years of meditating to get to X level", but MC has some kind of cheat that shortens this time to just 2 months. Super common and stupid trope but we lap this shit up anyway lol.

Gacha does that exact thing too, where you can either wait 14 days of dailies to collect lotto currency or powerup currency, ooooor you can pay money to speed up the process, delivering the exact same power progression payoff as the aforementioned example lol... 

HereBeTreasure Wrote:
Edge Wrote:
Yep gacha games are very successful and predatory. The game I'm playing nets 42 million dollars a year for virtually no developer input. I'm playing half for entertainment and half to kind of understand just how they get to be so addicting and entertaining 

To be honest I pirate all my games unless they need mods or multiplayer lol

But yeah if you look at the company website that made the game

Quote:Passion Back By Data

Our company goal has always been to create and bring fun content to the world. However, we also understand the importance of proper execution and delivery. Our philosophy has always been and always will be to marry our passion and our ability to analyze data so that we can make the most informed decisions. We base our lofty goals on a soild foundation of domestic and global market research we perform ourselves. For this reason alone, every step of the decision making process is made in-house and confirmed through thorough pre-market testing, a high focus on ROAS optimization, and our ability for user acquisition and retention.
We truly believe that by creating and selling our own content, we reach a stronger understanding of the game creation process. As a result, we feel that each game we make gets closer to perfection and ultimately more fun for our users. This is the basis and foundation of our company. As we continues to grow, we have begun to apply this thinking to other exciting business venture opportunities as well.
What this really means is that they kinda used data analysis on every aspect of the game, from the placement of daily mission in the in-game store to draw eyes there to making events limited time to create a sense of scarcity, etc

And the thing is most people know that this is happening but we fall for it anyway. 

Also they talk about ROAS (return from ad spend) as opposed to ROI (return on investment) because if youre not developing the game frequently then theres basically no investment (I) to speak of post launch lol. Most of the expenses are tied to advertisement instead. 

Also the power progression or promise thereof for gacha games is kind of satisfying so as a rr author I'm gonna borrow some elements of that too. First off there is time based progression which is similar to cultivation or simply sitting in a cave near a waterfall collecting spirit essence or whatever. Then there's lottery based progression which is unique to gacha, where there are SR and SSR (super super rare) characters and weapons that may be collected through pulling the banner, and the banners themselves have limits (for example only one pull for beginners) or limited holiday pulls or something like that. 

So if I were to write a reincarnator story, I could talk about how an MC knows the ins and outs of a particular weapon or skillbook gacha system that's hidden within the tutorial, and uses his coins in a way more effectively than his soon-to-be-powerful adversaries, delivering a very satisfying progression payoff that's not so used in webnovels. Well it's used in second coming of gluttony in the form of a vending machine. 

Like for example, everyone else thinks that a particular vending machine in the tutorial is good for obtaining a 5 star weapon for about 1,000 coins. So the big bad guy beats up people and takes their coins to monopolize the 5 star weapon, and it takes like 70 people's worth of coins to get it. But the MC with his reincarnator knowledge knows that there's a way to get a limited time or beginner pull that will grant a 6 star weapon with just 100 coins, and he knows the locations of all the coins with his reincarnator knowledge, thus securing the 6 star weapon.

Then there's probably some sequence about how the big bad guy thinks he's the top of the world with his 5 star weapon, and he confronts MC to bully him, then MC pulls out the 6 star weapon and defeats him and everyone is "How can this be? Impossible!" etc. And there you have one serving of trope spaghetti topped with shredded gacha cheese. 

Voila, gacha progression elements delivered in a satisfying manner in a litrpg lol...
I guess that is one way to look at it. 😂