Re: In your experience how do chapter names affect readership?

I like chapter titles over just numbers, though numbers also help with keeping continuity.

To me a chapter title is really useful in giving each chapter a distinctive vibe and makes them more memorable. I personally like giving poetic and symbolic titles, or ones that have a sleeping reason to them. Plus you can stuff secret messages that can make readers go 'oh, that's cool,' in them too.

Hmmm, good Q! I think they certainly don't hurt, and can be pretty fun and engaging. Short of making them click-bait-y (unless that's what you're going for with them, which can also be cool when used right), I think they can intrigue readers and get them excited about what's to come in that chapter!

I don't know if I specifically care much whether the fictions I read have chapter titles or not, though. I think it's more so something I notice and think, "Neat!" and move on. But it's not as though I see "Chapter 1" and "Chapter 2" and so on and think, "Ugh, boring!" and leave, either. So in a way I don't think they're as powerful as the blurb and first chapter's content are.

Although, now I'm wondering if maybe they DO play a role due to how the page layout shows the table of contents? DrakanThinking Even subconsciously?

DrakanFascinating Hmm.

My chapter names are based on the character POV for that particular chapter. Based on my views so far, it seems Lanoor is my most popular character, but she does have the advantage of being the very first chapter as well.

Kimbel, by contrast, the character I find to be one of the most interesting (but least likeable) characters, is the least popular by average.

I don't think my story is popular enough yet to warrant reader preferences on characters, though. I think most of this is probably just my luck of uploading time.

its hit or miss. some people will think it has a huge impact. others are basically thinking chapters as nothing but numbers. While nice I wouldn't stress out to much about it. 

Now book title on the other hand that's another story because it's the first thing they see other than maybe the cover. By the time people are reading your chapter titles they are already in the story and honestly i haven't hear anyone talk about not reading a story due to chapter titles.