Re: I use MS Word to write with, is there any real advantage to change.

If you're used to it and it works for you, why are you considering changing? If something about your workflow feels like it could be improved, specifics would help to narrow down the right program for you.

Personally, I like scrivener because I write with a lot of supplemental documents for reference etc. and having them all automatically open and close along with the main doc is extremely helpful, but I know people who do not need side docs nearly as much and write in a standard editor just fine. I would not say scrivener is the universal solution to every writer, even if it is ideally suited to my own purposes.

Without knowing what you're looking to change, there's only so much we can say.

I also use Scrivener. It's extremely helpful to me for the same reason Asviloka mentioned, consider it if you're the type of writer who keeps multiple documents for the same story (such as character sheets, plotline sketches, short stories, worldbuilding, reference material, drafts, ect). It's a hassle to have to load documents to check things and Scrivener is quite just nice for that reason alone. 

I  switched from Ms. Word from being my primary program of fiction writing to my secondary like a year or so ago I still have to use it for certain kinds of edits as it has the most accessibility options. Most grammar checkers and text-to-speech programs have add-ons that work in Ms. Word when most alternative on at, least PC, don't. I found I have fewer issues with Ms. Word when it comes to holding formatting when it comes to performing things like a copy and paste.

Basically, it more universal which is a bit of a curse too.

What I use to draft novels is, WriteiitNow. The reason is I don't like Scrivener. Many writers might love it, but there is a learning curve to it. However, I'm a believer if you want to learn how use something. It's easier to start simple than to use something that is going to leave you frustrated. I could either frustrate myself or I can use another program that fits my brain.

WriteitNow does basically the same thing but simpler. You may have less customization, but it isn't confusing and you can easily look up how to do something in a few simple steps. Technically, I can have all my planning notes, character notes, outlines, and another information I need to keep track of and know one document.

The only other reason I use it was that I was looking for a better program to hold me over until I could purchase MS. Word again. I got a new computer, which meant a new motherboard. Which meant another edition of MS. Office.

And just so you know, I've used Ms. Word since I was in middle school. The only other word processor I ever used was Lotus 123 and Lotus Symphony. Both I liked very much and both are dead programs. So that's a good 20+ years of using the same program until I just decided I wanted to learn to use something else.

Gibbs505 Wrote: Thank you, I will be writing only fiction, don't think that I will need to write a text book or any such!
I have heard and been told that I should get Grammarly or a similar platform but i do not see a profound advantage. I was wondering about the experience that others who have mad a change have had.

My experience with Grammerly has been closer to "don't", I'll confess. They're as bad as Word at understanding natural language grammar, just in different directions, and for literary authors their suggestions strip away an author's voice to meet some philosophical -- and generally not artistically practical -- "ideal" of writing. They do, like Word, highlight obvious mistakes, but it's the kind of short-cut that's best used when you already know what you're doing rather than relying on it to teach you what to look for.

If Word works for you, stick with it. Especially since Royal Road added support for directly importing your writing from .docx files (not the old .doc format, just the 2010 version change)! 

If the complaints are about line edits and the like, you'll get more from browsing through university sites like Purdue's O.nline W.riting L.ab at https://owl.purdue.edu/, and checking out guides to editing your drafts than from any particular software. 

----

Adding: If your writing process is what's being poked at, there isn't a single piece of software out there that addresses every author's needs perfectly. I, personally, write in Scrivener for Windows because it hits most of my needs, but I still wish they had some of yWriter's internal auto-tagging features for Characters, Items, and Locations. Sadly, yWriter doesn't have the split screens and Project Notes that have become so damn useful for me in Scrivener, nor the multiple compilation options. I frequently export my writing to both .docx and .epub formats, sometimes various types of HTML, and rarely plain text. That's something I haven't found handled so nicely in any other writing software.

From another side, my husband has to write software documentation in Word for his work, and he's sick of learning new software from all the corporate malarkey he deals with. Word works just fine for his NaNoWriMo projects.

If you already own MS Word, there's no reason to change. All the major word processors are the same unless you need to use a lot of niche format features or custom fonts or something. If you've paid for it there's no reason to ditch it. Things like LibreOffice are "better" only in that they're equally as good but also free, and things like Scrivener are if you think you'll make a lot of use of their niche features, but if Word works for you, it works for you.

Gibbs505 Wrote: Thank you, I will be writing only fiction, don't think that I will need to write a text book or any such!
I have heard and been told that I should get Grammarly or a similar platform but i do not see a profound advantage. I was wondering about the experience that others who have mad a change have had.

I hate Grammarly and similar programs. The only reason I can see to have it is if English isn't your first language and you're not very fluent at it. If you're not very fluent in English, then grammar programs can help flag big mistakes, but if your English is average or better, then you're already at least as good as those programs. All those programs will do is a) confuse you or b) stop you from learning through practice.

Gibbs505 Wrote: Comments please,.
I have been using this for almost thirty years so am reasonably used to it. I don't want to buy something or switch to a free software unless there would be a practical real benefit.

Your thoughts please.

Nothing wrong with MS Word! I bounce between that and Google Docs (for the sake of mobility; it's good on the go and works similarly, just with less features).
I've tried other options, but I always come back to Word. It's a quality software.

Haust Wrote: I also use Scrivener. It's extremely helpful to me for the same reason Asviloka mentioned, consider it if you're the type of writer who keeps multiple documents for the same story (such as character sheets, plotline sketches, short stories, worldbuilding, reference material, drafts, ect). It's a hassle to have to load documents to check things and Scrivener is quite just nice for that reason alone.

I used Scrivener in the past, but I always ran into issues with exporting documents out of the program. It always mucked up the formatting, even when I meticulously picked through the settings. I think it's good for plotting/outlining, but I personally dislike it for drafting.

I'm very new to writing, but I've been using  http://www.theologeek.ch/manuskript/ to outline/track/manage.  And word because the Grammarly plugin will take a whole scene at a time and correct as I write. 

I used Libre office for a long time but moved when I found the Grammarly word plugin and was tired of cutting and pasting the work to the web interface.