Re: Is a dog called an it or a he/she

It honestly depends on the situation.

If it's a dog I know, definitely use he/her and whatnot. If it's not, I usually ask the owner first before moving on.

Really, it depends on how much you want to humanize the pup. In a story if the dog is supposed to be an antagonist or whatever, it definitely works as it's a removal of the personality and characterizes it as a force of nature, as natural as a raging river or a forest fire. 

HorusMyDude Wrote: It honestly depends on the situation.

If it's a dog I know, definitely use he/her and whatnot. If it's not, I usually ask the owner first before moving on.

Really, it depends on how much you want to humanize the pup. In a story if the dog is supposed to be an antagonist or whatever, it definitely works as it's a removal of the personality and characterizes it as a force of nature, as natural as a raging river or a forest fire.
This is not in a story, it’s in real life.

ReiSyzygy Wrote:

Definitely he or she, then. What's odd to me is that people often use 'he' if they don't know the dog's gender where I'm from.

HorusMyDude Wrote:
ReiSyzygy Wrote:

Definitely he or she, then. What's odd to me is that people often use 'he' if they don't know the dog's gender where I'm from.
I think that is due to the fact that most languages use male gendered pronouns for most animals and objects. While in English, you use it, at least that’s how I was taught. My language also uses a male gendered pronoun for animals and objects.

ReiSyzygy Wrote: Today, I was arguing with some of my friends about whether a dog is called an it or a he/she. I, being the sensible one,  growing up learning British English(original English) said that a dog is called an it. My friends, who learned American English said that a dog is called a he/she. I was out gunned and lost the argument but the point still stands. Dogs, according to the English language, should be called it.
Tell me your opinion and I will show this to my friends and prove them wrong.

I think it depends less on the dialect of English and more on the function of the dog in speech or in writing. Is the dog named? Is the dog a character in a book or story, or just something in the background? If your character has a dog named Rex who travels an apocalyptic wasteland with him, then it would make sense to say "Rex's ears twitched--he must have heard something nearby." If your character is traveling the wasteland alone and sees a stray dog, it would make sense to write, "The dog sniffed at some dry bones and licked its lips, clearly starving."

A strange dog/a dog just there as part of the scenery = it. A character, or a pet, or anything where the dog will be followed for a while: he/she. That's my take, anyway.