Re: Long or Short Chapters?

My own story updates every other week with chapters ranging from over 3k to under 5k words (average 4k), and my amount of follows is both small and hasn't increased in... quite a while, so I don't know whether that says more about how many people my story attracts or just how many people are seeing it due to the slow upload schedule. 

That being said, that 4k average length is just what feels right for my chapters, so that's going to stay as my upload schedule unless I can write... 20,000+ words consistently every month while also having time to do necessary edits and rewrites. Which I don't know if I can do yet. I may experiment with shorter chapters on a future story I plan to write. I think ultimately it depends on your story, your writing style, how much is happening in the average chapter, and what your goal is. Just from seeing the general trends and the way the internet works, I agree that shorter + frequent chapters are better for trying to get more eyes on your story if that's your aim. Otherwise it's just going to vary, but it's good to keep in mind that readers may get fatigued if chapters are too long.

I try to write chapters with at least 1k words and try to stay under 3k words. The only time I really break up a chapter is when I reach a dead end and decide I'll write the other half later or if it goes above 3k words. Though in practice, I just tend to keep writing until I finish a scene; kinda like Shakespeare. For example, if I have a scene that's just in a room and i decide, "He, I wanna take it outside". If the chapter finish what it sets out to do, then I'll just end it there and start the chapter with the mc entering/leaving the room.

Honestly, unless you're trying to conform to some strict update schedule, write them as long as you want. I've seen people say that people prefer shorter chapters, but mine ended up being pretty long (6k on average, with my longest being 30k for the climactic chapter) and never really received complaints about length. Write until a scene feels done. 

My chapters tend to be between 6-8k words but I try to break them down into chunks of 1,5k - 2k words whenever possible.
Don't know if people like that, but nobody complained so far. 
As a reader, I personally like reading longer chapters. 10k+ words. I don't mind coming back to a chapter if I didn't finish it in one sitting.