Re: Val is Guessing These Stats Are Far From Normal Given the View Count.

I'm not sure I'm seeing anything unusual. The "Views" counter includes any page load, so it's massively over-counted compared to any of the other stats.

Systematically, you've got extra views coming from the following sources:

1. People checking out the first chapter or two to see if they want to read the story, but then deciding not to. These views generally increase any time you post a new chapter ... and this story has 115 chapters, plus sequels that would have driven people to the first book, so it's hit the Latest Updates page a lot, drawing in new readers, not all of whom will read the whole thing, but who *will* inflate the view counts on the early chapters.

2. People re-reading the story.

3. People refreshing the latest chapter (if they left it open) to see if a new chapter has been posted, or clicking on the last chapter on the Table of Contents to either check if they've read it yet, or to remind themselves of what happened.

The stats you really want to pay attention to are: Number of followers (people who want to be notified when you post a new chapter) and number of regular weekly readers (people who read the newest chapter over the course of a week--preferably before posting the next chapter because that'll artificially inflate the previous chapter's views a bit). These are the readers who are driving most of your engagement. There'll be a lot of overlap between those two categories, so you can just look at weekly readers if you wish.

EDIT: Since the main body of Book 1 was finished posting nine months ago, you'd have to get the current "weekly reader" engagement from the book that's currently being posted, if any. Book 1 counts will be conflated with re-reads from your existing readers. Nothing wrong with re-reads--it means people really liked the story--but it doesn't add new readers to your counts.

IvyVeritas Wrote: I'm not sure I'm seeing anything unusual. The "Views" counter includes any page load, so it's massively over-counted compared to any of the other stats.

Systematically, you've got extra views coming from the following sources:

1. People checking out the first chapter or two to see if they want to read the story, but then deciding not to. These views generally increase any time you post a new chapter ... and this story has 115 chapters, plus sequels that would have driven people to the first book, so it's hit the Latest Updates page a lot, drawing in new readers, not all of whom will read the whole thing, but who *will* inflate the view counts on the early chapters.

2. People re-reading the story.

3. People refreshing the latest chapter (if they left it open) to see if a new chapter has been posted, or clicking on the last chapter on the Table of Contents to either check if they've read it yet, or to remind themselves of what happened.

The stats you really want to pay attention to are: Number of followers (people who want to be notified when you post a new chapter) and number of regular weekly readers (people who read the newest chapter over the course of a week--preferably before posting the next chapter because that'll artificially inflate the previous chapter's views a bit). These are the readers who are driving most of your engagement. There'll be a lot of overlap between those two categories, so you can just look at weekly readers if you wish.

EDIT: Since the main body of Book 1 was finished posting nine months ago, you'd have to get the current "weekly reader" engagement from the book that's currently being posted, if any. Book 1 counts will be conflated with re-reads from your existing readers. Nothing wrong with re-reads--it means people really liked the story--but it doesn't add new readers to your counts.
Yep, that was my thoughts exactly. More or less, the stats are pretty much unreliable.

Edge Wrote: Yep, that was my thoughts exactly. More or less, the stats are pretty much unreliable.

I wouldn't really say "unreliable". They count the things they say they're counting. You just have to know how, and when, to interpret them.

For a writer who is looking to track their current active engagement, Followers is probably the best choice (or regular weekly readers, if you don't mind looking at an unofficial number), but it doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. Some people don't follow stories if the updates are very frequent; some people wait until a book or arc is complete before reading it.

For a reader looking for a popular story, I'd again start with Followers, at least for currently active stories. For older stories, they may have lost some followers (e.g., people who've left the site), so a combination of Total Views and Average Views may help to identify some of the all-time long-running popular stories.

I hope this helps!

IvyVeritas Wrote: I wouldn't really say "unreliable". They count the things they say they're counting. You just have to know how, and when, to interpret them.

For a writer who is looking to track their current active engagement, Followers is probably the best choice (or regular weekly readers, if you don't mind looking at an unofficial number), but it doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. Some people don't follow stories if the updates are very frequent; some people wait until a book or arc is complete before reading it.

For a reader looking for a popular story, I'd again start with Followers, at least for currently active stories. For older stories, they may have lost some followers (e.g., people who've left the site), so a combination of Total Views and Average Views may help to identify some of the all-time long-running popular stories.

I hope this helps!
Yeah, there are a number of factors going into it. The closest I can see the active readers, or potential as to say. Are the seven day average. The follower count has always been extremely low, though read count has been much higher. It is safe to say, a good amount are returning readers. Then there are the ones who do not follow and either read not logged, or logged in and just read it. 

I do remember something though. I edit a lot, and I have noticed much of the time. They are identified as ‘Guests.’ So, a good portion might be coming in from other sites, or google searches. Anyway, these sort of things are always fun to think about.