Re: Does naming chapters really make a difference?

I think chapter titles are a neat way to further entice casual/prospective readers as then can give a flavour of what to expect.

I can also VOUCH for the Doc when he says about considering the words used in titles too.
I had one that I had a title for originally and whilst it was relevant to the content of the chapter, it wasn't really 'royalroady'. I then remembered that thread and changed it to what it is now.... AND I can say that that chapter, out of the 6 there is up (it's volume 2) has double the views than the 2nd highest viewed chapter.
EnhancedBonus points if anyone can guess which one  https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroadcdn.com%2Fpublic%2Fsmil...mFPsww.png I've already given it away.

And I put it down to the name, I really do. Because what else is drawing people to a chapter they've not yet read? It has to be the name, surely?

So yes, chapter titles I'd say do make more of a difference. They suggest a bit more time and thought given and in a list of dozens of new releases, will the ones with titles stick out more than those that are just numbered? Maybe. 

EnhancedBeing Wrote: I think chapter titles are a neat way to further entice casual/prospective readers as then can give a flavour of what to expect.

I can also VOUCH for the Doc when he says about considering the words used in titles too.
I had one that I had a title for originally and whilst it was relevant to the content of the chapter, it wasn't really 'royalroady'. I then remembered that thread and changed it to what it is now.... AND I can say that that chapter, out of the 6 there is up (it's volume 2) has double the views than the 2nd highest viewed chapter. And I put it down to the name, I really do. Because what else is drawing people to a chapter they've not yet read? It has to be the name, surely?

So yes, chapter titles I'd say do make more of a difference. They suggest a bit more time and thought given and in a list of dozens of new releases, will the ones with titles stick out more than those that are just numbered? Maybe.
Hmm, interesting. I would have assumed that the cover and blurb would be what draws readers in. Sounds weird to me that someone start the story at something like, Chapter 12 because of specific key words. But I suppose it makes sense. Do you happen to have any suggestions as to words are "Royal Roady?" Maybe I should put "cultivation" somewhere in one of my titles. 

FGC_Checkmate Wrote: Hmm, interesting. I would have assumed that the cover and blurb would be what draws readers in. Sounds weird to me that someone start the story at something like, Chapter 12 because of specific key words. But I suppose it makes sense. Do you happen to have any suggestions as to words are "Royal Roady?" Maybe I should put "cultivation" somewhere in one of my titles.
Definitely cover, but I think if someone's looking at the Latest Updates on the front page, they have covers and chapter titles to go on, and clicking the title takes them to that chapter. At that point, I'd argue the blurb won't come into it until after they've partially/completely read that chapter. 

It's like hooking up with someone in da club. You don't have their personality or what they're about to go on, you go by their cover and chapter title.

RoyalRoady terms... it's not an exact science, it's a feeling. So I went from 'VIVA LAS VEGAS' (because the characters were moving to Vegas)
to
'FREEDOM! INDEPENDENCE! PIZZA!'

Suggestions of fights, battles, victories, money/riches, gamification terms- levelling up. I guess would be ways to go. I won't be trying to make RRy titles every time, but I feel there are definitely some buzz words/themes that will entice more. If you have followers, they'll read regardless I'd argue- its your 15 minutes of fame on the front page that you need to monopolise on. 

FGC_Checkmate Wrote:
Haust Wrote: I simply find that naming chapters is fun. 

As a reader, though, I prefer it, because it helps me remember what chapter to start reading at if I ever take a hiatus from the novel. Helps me remember where I left off.
Royal Road automatically bookmarks where you left off though.
Only for a while, I think? Maybe I just remember it wrong but if I come back after a year, y'know, that's reasonable that there will have been a few caches cleared. 

FGC_Checkmate Wrote: Hmm, interesting. I would have assumed that the cover and blurb would be what draws readers in.

Do consider that people check the Latest Updates section of RR, which automatically show the last chapter posted and its title. There's also some readers who will look through a story's chapters, their names, and do a little check on the content before deciding if they want to read the whole thing. Catchy titles will help attract both groups.

Doesn't have much effect on me.  Although it upsets me if you don't number your chapters.  Sometimes I like going back to an older chapter and seeing if I can find one of the old scenes I really enjoyed.  And I remember the chapter number more than the name I didn't read.  I also read the chapter number a lot because it helps me keep track of how many chapters I have left before I am out of backlog.