Re: Any advice for finished stories?

MarikoRawralton Wrote: I feel like a hack when I see all these authors on RR churning out a chapter a day.

Then don't look at them. What works for one person does not necessarily work for others. Yes, some writers on here are super fast with their chapters, but not everyone is or should be. From what I've seen, many on RR don't start posting their chapters on day one, but backlog them and start posting once they have what they feel is a good amount. Some even wait until the entire story is finished and edited before they start posting them. There are those though that do post as they write and some are incredibly fast; however, speed of writing is not a measurement for writing quality. It's easy to get discouraged when you see others seemingly doing something faster than you (been there, done that), but you just need to remind yourself that you are not them and allow yourself to take what time you need. My first book, I wrote in just two months plus two months for editing, formatting, cover design, etc. However, I have now been working on the sequel for almost four years and it still isn't done yet. Granted, I've had to start over because of a laptop malfunction, but it had already taken me two-and-a-quarter years to get to the nearly finished stage I was in when the malfunction occurred. 

If writing serials is too stressful for you, then just write and don't worry about how or where to release it until you've finished. I don't follow a plan either. I'm a complete pantser, and, while it does have its disadvantages at time, it's the method that works best for me. If I try to plan, my brain just freezes up and grinds to a halt and I get absolutely nowhere. 

Maybe set small goals? Like wanting to complete x-many words by the end of the week/month/etc. Sometimes seeing multiple small goals reached can be a big encouragement to keep going while also keeping it at manageable level that doesn't overwhelm you.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: I've been saving up money to get art commissioned, but I haven't been able to due to lack of Paypal / Debit card. It's a long story, but in-person stuff and COVID don't mix.
I know there are quite a few graphic designers/writers on Wattpad who will do covers in exchange for reads/votes/feedback. That's how I got my current cover, which I'm happy with. 

(General advice to everyone with completed work)

The only way to effectively promote a complete story on here is to start a new one, but of course that's difficult because you don't want to spend years on another project to take up all your time. For that, then, I recommend starting something low-effort and fun. Just something you can post without it really mattering, and something in the RR niche. You don't even have to finish it if you get bored; RR is a low-stakes game. Keep making that story, keep promoting your completed one in that, and naturally more readers will find it.

Even if you write slowly or feel unconfident in writing something just for fun and not to the highest quality, you should still try it. I know very well of the frustration of stories that won't break out after completion (I have several of them myself), but I know that dwelling on that frustration, and getting mad at yourself or at the site, is not a good way to go about it. Instead of giving up, forge a path forward!

You know, there's something to be said about spite being a motivator. Take a look at that lizard brain of yours that's bringing you down. It's every negative thing you have ever experienced rolled into one vexatious scaly lump in your brain, and it exists merely to bring you down. The one look you got that made you want to punch someone's face in, the words you heard that made you so angry you thought you would throw up from the burning in your chest. It wants you to stop, to give up, for you to start thinking 'why bother?' makes a tiny bit of sense.

Hate that lizard brain. Hate it so much that even giving it an inch is unthinkable. Think of the smirk on it's smarmy little face when it thinks your about to give in, then beat that sonuvabitch senseless.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: Anything more I can do?

1. Try posting to Wattpad. With both completed and romance, you might find more readership there. Try to build a fan base. Advertise to romance groups if romance is an important part of the story. Romance is the biggest book genre by far, just not on RR. 

2. Use Scribblehub to get feedback on the story and refine it to a higher level. You'll have to interact with other writers though. 

3. Self publish. Use Canva.com for a free cover and promo art. Then decide if you want to only use Amazon or go wide and publish on multiple stores. If going wide, use Smashwords.

4. IF you're getting rave reviews for your work, invest in sending your book to people who promote, like popular book review blogs. They sometimes want printed copies though, which you can do via Amazon KDP. If you're not getting rave reviews, consider refining more, or starting your next book. Because every book is practice. 

5. Try to find at least one person who loves you and your work to cheer you on. This can be super hard to find, but it can make a huge difference. 

6. Write out of love for the activity, write stories you love, write because you want to find out where your characters will go next. The marketing and selling is incredibly time-consuming and competitive and sucks the fun out of the life. But if you have a story and characters you love to work on at the same time, it'll help. 

7. Be patient. Few authors seem to build any fan base at all. We're just not a visual or auditory medium and it's more difficult to connect with fans. Being an author seems to be a years-long trial. And you need as many books finished as possible to be successful. One-book wonders are rarer. 

8. Try serializing as a way to give yourself deadlines and responsibility to make yourself productive, in order to combat depression. I've struggled too and found that when I've committed to posting twice a week and have told people I will, then I feel stronger about actually doing the work. 

9. You've already completed one book. You're awesome. Have faith in yourself. Believe you're strong enough to endure and to keep going. Believe that you can get better. Because it's true. 

Hello, Mariko. If planning is your problem, you could read some books on story planning like Actions and Goals from Marshall Dotson and use their templates to help you make an outline then use this outline as a guide line, to help you stay more on track with your story while still giving you leeway to move away from it.

For me my issues are not planning but I think a mix of Infodumps, lack of characterization, lack of worldbuilding or things like that, my first book is very fast paced and I don't really know how to make it more slow paced without making it boring. 
I'm still a beginner writer and had no mentor to tell what is good writing or not or what my real flaws are

And personally, if I was a reader and you explained that to me, I'd understand and try to convince the others to give you some slack.

But yeah, if you want to take a break, do it. I struggle with general anxiety disorder and some times living life is hell; Mental health and health is the most important thing in the world and goes before anything else.

It's one of the themes that I'd like to introduce in my books at some point. 

Maybe the Arbolarbres chronicles or another book based in that universe or not.