Re: Any advice for finished stories?

MarikoRawralton Wrote: Maybe I should just give up and move on.
Or perhaps a different platform because your story doesn't seem like RR's bread and butter. I wouldn't know which one though. 

Anyways, moving on isn't giving up! This story is part of your body of work now, and it will be a boon to you in your author endeavors because in the end, we want to have written lots of things! You want your 10th story to blow up, not your 1st, that way fans might go back and read those 9 other stories that you have written, already finished for them :)

kieranpierce Wrote: Anyways, moving on isn't giving up! This story is part of your body of work now, and it will be a boon to you in your author endeavors because in the end, we want to have written lots of things! You want your 10th story to blow up, not your 1st, that way fans might go back and read those 9 other stories that you have written, already finished for them :)
Writing a sequel's been the most grueling thing I've ever put myself through.

Guess I should start considering hanging up the writer hat.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: Writing a sequel's been the most grueling thing I've ever put myself through.

Guess I should start considering hanging up the writer hat.

Finding writing a sequel difficult does not mean you aren't a writer anymore. It is difficult and that's okay. 

Why not take a bit of a break from the sequel and jump into a different story?

AlexaLee Wrote: Finding writing a sequel difficult does not mean you aren't a writer anymore. It is difficult and that's okay. 

Why not take a bit of a break from the sequel and jump into a different story?
I did jump into another story, but then that went nowhere too. I spent the better part of three years on other projects that went nowhere.

I started writing cuz I wanted to be heard and I don't feel heard. I wanted to have fun and I'm not having fun.

I don't know how to advertise or socialize with other writers. I've always felt weird doing it and I don't have the attention span anymore to read other people's works.

I had all these big, grand ideas but none of them went anywhere. It all feels so tiring and pointless, like organizing trash before it gets incinerated.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: I did jump into another story, but then that went nowhere too. I spent the better part of three years on other projects that went nowhere.

I started writing cuz I wanted to be heard and I don't feel heard. I wanted to have fun and I'm not having fun.

I don't know how to advertise or socialize with other writers. I've always felt weird doing it and I don't have the attention span anymore to read other people's works.

I had all these big, grand ideas but none of them went anywhere. It all feels so tiring and pointless, like organizing trash before it gets incinerated.

That's really tough. Maybe it's time to take a bit of a break from writing until you rediscover your love of it? Or give writing short stories a go? Then, it doesn't matter if they go nowhere because they were only meant to be short? 

Yeah, definitely sounds like you need to take a break. Step away from writing for a bit. Occupy yourself with other things and indulge your other interests. 
Then one day... an idea will slap you in a face when you least expect it and you'll feel ready to start the creative process all over again. I'm sure of it. 

Right now, (if you don't mind me saying) you seem a bit defeatist about what you started to write, or your other endeavours, which is ok..! I'm not saying it isn't... but right now isn't the best mindset to be in when deciding whether you're going to carry on and with what project. 

Don't force it. Let it slap you in the face one day. 

Sounds like you're having a rough one there, friend. Some advice that I've heard before is - 'The best way to advertise your old book is to write a new book.' It seems to be true. 

That being said, if you think you need to take five and get a spiritual cup of joe, then you should do exactly that. If you are frustrated and not clear in your head, it will show in your work. Take your time, breath, regroup and come back refreshed. But please don't give up on your work and your voice just yet 
 DrakanMelt

Haust Wrote: Maybe RR just isn't the platform for you? I took a look at your synopsis and it seems like something that might find more of an audience elsewhere. That has nothing to do with your ability to be heard as an author and everything to do with RR's target audience. Would be a shame to quit for that.
Not sure where else I'd post my story, to be honest, I don't really venture much outside of this place. That and I'm paranoid I'll post on some sketchy site that robs me of my rights.

EnhancedBeing Wrote: Right now, (if you don't mind me saying) you seem a bit defeatist about what you started to write, or your other endeavours, which is ok..! I'm not saying it isn't... but right now isn't the best mindset to be in when deciding whether you're going to carry on and with what project.
I just wanna finish something, I guess. I finished my last project with such ease and now it feels impossible. It's not entirely the story's fault, just... a lot of life stuff cutting down on my enjoyment.

I guess I want to be *more* involved, I just don't know how.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: I just wanna finish something, I guess. I finished my last project with such ease and now it feels impossible. It's not entirely the story's fault, just... a lot of life stuff cutting down on my enjoyment.

I guess I want to be *more* involved, I just don't know how.

But you have finished something, right? Don't be hard on yourself/be kinder to yourself. You've already accomplished so much. Re-read what you have written, remind yourself of that achievement. 
The fact that it sounds like the life stuff is getting in the way is a big indicator that you need to just take some time. Get the life stuff diggidydown and come back to the writing or plotting or planning another time. This is all us forum people can really suggest to you. 

Alternatively, I'm sure there are some mini writing burst/15 minute writing projects online that you can do once in a while- there's no pressure to come up with anything big, you're still writing and producing something, and you may even come across an idea which can snowball. 

Good luck! 

MarikoRawralton Wrote: My story's been complete for a while now, which makes it really hard to attract new readers.

Anything more I can do?
Write a new story.

One try isn't enough to say whether it's worth continuing or not. My first story here took years to get to where it is now, and a lot of that is only spillover from my more popular later stories. And three years, in the length of time it takes to be a successful writer, is very very small. I think I spent around eight years starting things that went nowhere before I even managed to finish one, so you're already well ahead of the curve.

Do you want to write? Do you love stories and want to share your own? If not, by all means, walk away. But the fact that you not only started but saw the story through to completion makes me think otherwise. I think you have more stories to tell, and that it would be a mistake to give up too soon.

Try to stop thinking or worrying about stats and numbers. Take a break.

If you have a direct sequel to your main story, it might be worth posting it as a continuation rather than as a separate thing. Boost your visibility and make the story show as active and, also important for RR in particular, more pages.

If you start a new story, keep in mind what's worked and what hasn't. You may start slow and small, but as long as you keep going you'll do better and better.  One story is way too early to give up. You have so much potential, just keep practicing and improving and post as often as you can. (For RR specifically, frequent updates are the way to go.)
MarikoRawralton Wrote: I finished my last project with such ease and now it feels impossible.
Finishing things is hard. Doing it once is no guarantee that it'll be easy to do again. Hang in there, stick it out, and you'll be fine. It's not an easy road, being a writer. But if you can fight on through the discouragement and the disillusion there is hope on the other side. If you want to do it, you can. As hard as it is, I promise it's possible.

And if you truly don't want to, you're under no obligation to continue. You're allowed to walk away and do something else with your life.

peolove Best wishes whatever you decide!

Just throwing my two cents in, but have you considered publishing your novel? I mean like proper ebook and paperback format to Amazon and other platforms.

Because to be frank, 477 pages over a span of barely three months means that you definitely have (Had) the drive. Perhaps it's hiding now, but it still exists.

Publishing might get the ball rolling again for you as your book finds a new audience.

If you're short on cash and want options, I can recommend Moonquill publishing. I won't talk more about them since I don't know the rules on the forum, but I personally have just submitted my manuscript to them and it's under review. So far, they're also my best shot at publishing, broke as I am.

I hope that helped!

Good luck to you, wherever your path takes you on!

I agree with horizon108. If you have a finished book, why not look into self-publishing it? Also, if you're having trouble writing a sequel to it, perhaps shelve that idea for a little while and work on a collection of short stories that relate to your original book instead. Sometimes, writing shorter fiction can really help and be less stressful to write. Otherwise, it sounds like you're dealing with a bit of burnout and just need to take a break before diving back into another big project.

The best thing you can do to get more eyes on a finished story, is to write a new one. It doesn't even have to be connected to the earlier one in any way, but, if people start reading the new one and enjoy it, it's not uncommon for a reader to go check what else someone has written to see if it's something they'd like. I do this on Amazon and Goodreads all the time.

There are also other platforms you could try if RR isn't looking like a good fit for you. Amazon recently released a serial novel platform called Vella, perhaps you could look into that. There's also Wattpad, ScribbleHub, Booksie, Belletristica, and, I'm sure, many more; it just might take a little bit of work to find them and find the right one for you. Other options are sites like Patreon, Buy Me a Coffee, and SubscribeStar or even setting up your own website or blog.

horizon108 Wrote: Because to be frank, 477 pages over a span of barely three months means that you definitely have (Had) the drive. Perhaps it's hiding now, but it still exists.
It took a year to write, another year to edit. I started working on it in 2017 and only published it online in 2019 / 2020. I'm bad at writing serials cuz my brain can't focus long enough to plan or follow a plan.

That's why I'm always looking for a way to "sell" my work. I know I don't entirely mesh with RR, but I wanna do whatever I can to level the playing field or do my best to attract folks.

Rilaiss Wrote: Amazon recently released a serial novel platform called Vella, perhaps you could look into that. There's also Wattpad, ScribbleHub, Booksie, Belletristica, and, I'm sure, many more; it just might take a little bit of work to find them and find the right one for you.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely look into them. 

I've heard good things about ScribbleHub, at least. Well, mostly the usual "the community is nicer" stuff. Not that RR isn't a nice place to be or anything. I'd like to keep this place my main place to post, but I'm unsure.

SubwayChud Wrote: While I'm certainly no authority on marketing books, you may want to try some new cover ideas.
I've been saving up money to get art commissioned, but I haven't been able to due to lack of Paypal / Debit card. It's a long story, but in-person stuff and COVID don't mix.

EnhancedBeing Wrote: The fact that it sounds like the life stuff is getting in the way is a big indicator that you need to just take some time. Get the life stuff diggidydown and come back to the writing or plotting or planning another time. This is all us forum people can really suggest to you.
It's stuff I've been dealing with my entire life, so it's not just something I can "fix". I just hate feeling useless cuz I can't finish this damn story.

I wanted so badly to have it done before 2022 rolled around but it doesn't seem to be possible. I feel like a hack when I see all these authors on RR churning out a chapter a day.

If I was posting a serial and I had one of these bouts, my readers would absolutely kill me.

I'm just in one of these bouts I get where I feel completely useless. I don't like posting about them online too often cuz I sound dramatic or depressed. No one wants to be around someone who's depressed.

I just have this immense urge or feeling that I need to be doing more for my story but I have no idea what. Every time I get some inkling of an idea, my brain automatically goes "it's hopeless, there's nothing you can do" and I give up.

I feel like I'm fighting myself on a daily basis sometimes. I feel like giving up on my sequel, but at the same time, I know that the first story I wrote was awful til I edited it. I wish I was that dumb kid again.