What are you struggling with in your writing right now?

Pretty much title, what are you stuck on at the moment? What's giving you way more trouble than it should or is turning out to just generally be a real pain?

For me, it's trying to finish the chapter I'm working on. I've done my draft, I'm doing my first rewrite/edit to make it actually good, and I'm on what should be the last couple of paragraphs to close out the chapter before I move on to the final cleanup. I'm so close I can taste it. But I'm losing the thread of the conversation between the characters and a sensical ending that leads up to what I need to accomplish just isn't coming to me at the moment. I want to make a matcha latte to chill with while I figure this out but I'm out of matcha powder.

Re: What are you struggling with in your writing right now?

Mai Wrote: Pretty much title, what are you stuck on at the moment? What's giving you way more trouble than it should or is turning out to just generally be a real pain?

For me, it's trying to finish the chapter I'm working on. I've done my draft, I'm doing my first rewrite/edit to make it actually good, and I'm on what should be the last couple of paragraphs to close out the chapter before I move on to the final cleanup. I'm so close I can taste it. But I'm losing the thread of the conversation between the characters and a sensical ending that leads up to what I need to accomplish just isn't coming to me at the moment. I want to make a matcha latte to chill with while I figure this out but I'm out of matcha powder.
I'm having exactly the same struggle as you.

Derin_Edala Wrote: I'm struggling with marketing a sequel. The first book is already up, so won't appear on the 'just updated' page any more, and it's kind of difficult to market the second one directly (currently being written) since, well, people don't want to start in the middle of a series. I can market the first one directly but it's slow going without being on the page.
If I could add my two cents, I think that you should front the synopsis with 'book 2 is the curse words series' or something, then add a link to the first book. You've got to make it as easy as possible for a new reader to know what is going on and what they need to do to catch up.

Regardless, I can imagine how tough it is marketing-wise. Good luck.

Mood disorder and other mental problems...

oh wait you mean what in my story is difficult? 
Hmm, lets see, I'm writing the storyline for my second story arc for the 3rd time now, and I'm sure this is the one. I figured out how to make everything connect logically, and achieve all plot points and development planned for this arc without having the characters act out of character to force them, or disturbing the internal logic of my world by introducing deus ex machina or some other means that would require the readers to withhold the suspension of disbelief. 

BananaRoshan Wrote: 1. Grammar (Top)
2. Having too many stories but can't choose one.
3. Finishing a book.
Ah, yes. I like to think I do pretty well at the grammar part (albeit with occasional help from digital resources) but I've been experiencing a similar issue to 2 and 3 in that I'm torn between starting at least early drafts for a second story in my downtime or focusing on my current story to get more chapter buffer and experience with my writing.

Sake Wrote: Mood disorder and other mental problems...

oh wait you mean what in my story is difficult? 
Hmm, lets see, I'm writing the storyline for my second story arc for the 3rd time now, and I'm sure this is the one. I figured out how to make everything connect logically, and achieve all plot points and development planned for this arc without having the characters act out of character to force them, or disturbing the internal logic of my world by introducing deus ex machina or some other means that would require the readers to withhold the suspension of disbelief.
Certainly hope things with the mental and mood concerns at least become manageable for you since I know for sure how much those can suck, both in general personal life and with how that sort of thing can just ruin the creative process. Nice to hear things are shaping up for the next story arc, though! Always feels like good progress to get a nice chunk of the story under control like that.

Mai Wrote: Pretty much title, what are you stuck on at the moment? What's giving you way more trouble than it should or is turning out to just generally be a real pain?

The pacing of my story's actually been bugging me a lot. I tend to speed up the story and move from one scene to the next without looking back, however now that I've built up some backlogs I've actually forgot some of the things I wanted to put in the scenes I've already gone through.

With that in mind, I'm now actively trying to slow down the pacing and let the story flow naturally, but with that I'm now having a hard time making up transitions and all that. Writing is so hard man.

I'm set to start writing the third volume of my story in a few weeks or so in September. I've been enjoying my hiatus for August and in that time I've been deliberating about what I want to do for this volume. 

This is the first time in the story that I'm mostly writing in the dark because the conflict that unfolds in this volume (first hinted in the beginning of vol1, then very late into vol2) is something that I originally intended to gloss over. 

I got some ideas mentally noted, but there are numerous characters introduced that become important sometime later in vol4-5, and introducing a large cast of characters is going to be overwhelming for sure.

I'm sure it'll all work out. Probably. A plot that I'm less certain about sounds more fun than one that I have concrete.  PeoReading

One of my protags, Saiph, made it to his girlfriend's guild castle and, with the help of friends and people he met along the way, cleared the area surrounding the castle of level 80+ flying cockatrices.

The part I'm actually stuck on is the last chapter I posted ends with him reuniting with his girlfriend in his room in the guild castle and sitting on his desk is a small jewelry box. Inside that jewelry box is a letter from his girlfriend written 2 years earlier explaining to him how she is actually a powerful mage who orchestrated the events that brought Saiph and all of the other players into their video game character's bodies in the world of Annwyn Online.

The next chapter is the letter itself and the following chapter is Saiph's girlfriend's reaction to reading it and the fallout.

Did I mention that Saiph's girlfriend was dead for 2 years before the story starts? 

I've rewritten this entire section like 5 times now 
peodistress

Every chapter has its own challenges for me. 

The chapter I'm currently working on has been a rare case where the words have come easily. The challenge has been debating whether or not I've spent too long on a single scene or not. It is an important part of the story, but there's always such a thing as too much, or just too much too soon.

I'm leaning toward being okay with it since it seems enjoyable when I try rereading my draft, and because it feels like an appropriate lull before a coming storm. It can be hard to know if your story has achieved a natural flow or healthy pace because it'll always occur a bit differently to you than to your readers.