Other sites for building a following?

I'm trying to turn writing into a career. Posting stories to RR and Wattpad currently, hoping to build a following. (Getting very little attention on Wattpad.)

Are there any other useful sites a writer can use to gain readers? The sites I've been coming across seem to be quite small and have very little activity, or are almost exclusively for fanfic and erotica. 

Are there any good social media communities a writer can regularly post in to promote serialized work?

Re: Other sites for building a following?

I will say Wattpad seems to bury stories very easily, and I've heard that their algorithm rewards uploading large numbers of long chapters in a short time. Before I moved over here I had the first few chapters of one of my stories up on Wattpad (since removed), and that got maybe two or three views that wasn't from me over the course of multiple months. While I've only been posting to Royal Road for a few days and don't have any kind of following yet, there still seems to be more visibility here than there. My instinct is that sites with more active and interactive forums are going to be better for building a following.

Morvram Wrote: Wattpad

It seems that sites specialize and anything not in certain genres gets little traction. RR is strongly GameLit. Wattpad is apparently gushy young romance. FanFic doesn't have much original stuff. Literotica is erotic only. 

I wish RR had the number of readers Wattpad does, but guys don't read as much as girls do. But other than Wattpad and RR, FanFic and Literotica, I can't find any other sites with a lot of users. 

Mai Wrote:
tfisb Wrote: https://topwebfiction.com and a page on https://tvtropes.org (obligatory apology for destroying your productivity for the next 2 weeks).

Man, I remember back when I made a tv tropes page for a webcomic I made back in high school (and, upon doing a search for it, the page is still there too!). That was honestly just genuine fun to do.

Topwebfiction seems to be invite only, anyone have an invite?

Here's my directory of web fiction sites that I update occasionally.

Besides the scam site I won't mention, Royal Road is firmly #2 for novels behind Wattpad (which is bigger than most of its competition combined, but due to many issues is nearly useless for most authors). Tapas is big for comics, but not very big for novels. Other sites worth considering are Neovel, Inkitt, SpaceBattles, Sufficient Velocity, and MoonQuill, although all are much smaller than Royal Road.

Your best bet for building a following is to find that one site whose community you enjoy enough to participate in (whether that's RR or another), to read and enjoy some of its stories, and to write a story that's geared more towards that site than anything else. There are a lot of genres of web novel that, sadly, don't yet have a niche to call home, so if you're looking for following-building, then studying the popular stuff (and unpopular stuff), then writing something of your own in that flavor, is the best bet. For example, Royal Road likes fantasy stories that often have a game element (but other genres, too!), but most of all they like longer stories with steady progression and a fun main character. That, more than genre, is what gets a following.

Timothy Wrote:
Morvram Wrote: Wattpad
It seems that sites specialize and anything not in certain genres gets little traction. RR is strongly GameLit. Wattpad is apparently gushy young romance. FanFic doesn't have much original stuff. Literotica is erotic only. 

I wish RR had the number of readers Wattpad does, but guys don't read as much as girls do. But other than Wattpad and RR, FanFic and Literotica, I can't find any other sites with a lot of users.
Believe RR is actually more into power progression. It covers xianxia (e.g. Forge of Destiny and Beware of Chicken), dungeon core (e.g Blue Core) and other less easily grouped power progression stories (e.g. Metaworld Chronicles and Vigor Mortis); besides GameLit (e.g. Randidly and Healer of Azarinth).

Though there are exceptions like superhero stories (e.g. Perfect Run), fanfiction (e.g. Borne of Caution), and other disparate genre stories that are also popular (e.g. Shade Touched, Epilogue, The Calamity of a Reborn Witch, A Journey of Black and Red, and RE: Trailer Trash).

But as to your OP, would also like to re-mention https://topwebfiction.com and https://tvtropes.org, which is how I also search for new stories; excluding this site's own lists and other members' favourites and review lists.