Re: What if a group of readers got together and...

Derin_Edala Wrote: So you're looking for the Recommendations forum, which is mostly full of people asking for specific tropes, settings and story types they can't find, but coordinated into a single thread?
Huh.  Now that you mention it, kinda, yeah.  Though, maybe try to weight it toward things people have never seen rather than things they've read 20 of and want more.  Writers would probably know what's already popular.

I mean, I got some ideas for my stories off a list off or tumblr of things they would like to read. They were a religious group that wasn't an evil zealot organization, non-epic fantasy, and some other things I kept in mind with writing my series. I don't remember. I don't have an account there anymore to even bother with finding the post.  It was the only thing I took away from tumblr that I saw was positive.

However, a list like this isn't something I'm always going to be looking at. I think just come across it because I was following a writer's resources and they reblogged the post and I happened to be between projects.  So yeah it could help a writer. I just think people adding things to the list shouldn't expect writers to be jumping to use their ideas.

sunandshadow Wrote:
Derin_Edala Wrote: So you're looking for the Recommendations forum, which is mostly full of people asking for specific tropes, settings and story types they can't find, but coordinated into a single thread?
Huh.  Now that you mention it, kinda, yeah.  Though, maybe try to weight it toward things people have never seen rather than things they've read 20 of and want more.  Writers would probably know what's already popular.
I agree with you here. Recommendations is almost never wanting to explore new stuff. And it is rarely specific unless someone is asking for a 1000 clones of their favorite story.

David Wrote: As a writer, I definitely like looking at people's wish lists, even if it's just for tropes, settings, and character types. Before I started Web of Secrets, I remember seeing a lot of posts on reddit asking for "fantasy with modern technology." I was already planning on writing a story like that, but seeing those requests definitely increased my confidence.

Uh, where exactly are people asking for that fantasy with technology type of story? Asking for a friend

Thedude3445 Wrote:
David Wrote: As a writer, I definitely like looking at people's wish lists, even if it's just for tropes, settings, and character types. Before I started Web of Secrets, I remember seeing a lot of posts on reddit asking for "fantasy with modern technology." I was already planning on writing a story like that, but seeing those requests definitely increased my confidence.

Uh, where exactly are people asking for that fantasy with technology type of story? Asking for a friend
Probably r/fantasy

For sure write that.

DrakanMoney

TenThousandSuns Wrote:
Thedude3445 Wrote:

Probably r/fantasy

Spot on!