Re: DOES ROYAL ROAD HAVE AN ISSUE WITH EXCESSIVE SELF PROMOTION???

TK523 Wrote: I don't think this is a problem. If it was, the forums would be filled with author's posting click baity titles and then links to their stories. Then other authors would be replying with their own links—claiming self promo isn't a problem, but then having their own story in their signature.
I mean have you seen the recommendation threads? They are pretty clogged with self promotion. Of course if they weren't they'd just be mostly empty.

Allanther Wrote: Read Wizard’s Tower to find out! 

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/41881/wizards-tower

I just read Wizard's Tower, and apparently part two of the answer to "is there too much self promotion" can be found in Drinker of the Yew

On a more serious note, I do find that "recommend me a fic threads" tend to be bogged down by self-promo. I specifically forbid it in my threads, and have decided (mostly) to avoid doing it unless my book is EXACTLY what someone wants. I feel like if I allowed self-promo in my threads people it gets bogged down with low quality/unfinished/inconsistent uploads stuff that I specifically do not want to read. If someone liked the book to recommend it, I can be a little more assured of its quality.

I believe that promoting one's self is reasonable to do in places designated as such.

The trouble comes when you throw your book at anything even remotely close to what it is. People looking for a fantasy with a bit of a mystery might love my Bloodshard, for instance, but I'm told that it fails miserably at being a mystery. (Which makes sense, since I don't write mystery novels and don't know the formulas, but I do write fantasy.) So if I were to shove it in the face of everyone who says 'mystery' then I'd be doing both them and myself a disservice.

People looking for a story about dragon riders might not appreciate my ReIgnite - it has dragons, and magic, and dragons being ridden, but the main character is not a dragon rider and probably won't be for several volumes if ever. Likewise, it may not appeal to those looking for an authentic magical school experience, due to my complete lack of experience with magical schools.

And don't get me started on my litrpg Trickster's Luck. Giving the main character an overpowered ability... that also has major drawbacks? And that other characters already have? And that's already been exploited to its fullest extent by the players who got to it earlier? And in a game that's just a game, without permadeath or real life stakes, about a character just wandering around playing and making enemies and friends? Booo! Who'd want to read that?

So, in conclusion, I feel that your stories are probably a better fit for self promotion than mine. So you're doing the right thing.