Re: my user retention on one of the chapters went over 100% for the first time

DarkD Wrote: I suspect it's users without an account opening the chapter multiple times.  I could be wrong, but I doubt RR keeps track of people without accounts.

That's what I thought it might be, but I think RR actually is smart enough to know that, at least, if it's accessed from the same device it shouldn't be counted as another 'hit.' So maybe these chapters have the same people accessing them across multiple devices. 

I just had an unpleasant thought. Since my chapter titles didn't include numbers until now, what if the higher retention is because someone accidentally skipped a chapter since they didn't remember what chapter they ended at?

True, royal road automatically bookmarks stuff for you, and at the time I had less than 10 chapters posted(now it's 11) so it's not like it's such a huge number that one can get lost there...but still, the unpleasant thought is lingering...

TenThousandSuns Wrote: I have several chapters like this. I think it is just people who click the chapter link in last updates instead of the story link. Then they don't continue to read. This pattern is almost invariably in low average view stories which makes sense. In higher view stories the small number of people making this error are drops in an ocean.

good theory, but doesn't explain why one of my earlier chapters just exceeded 100% now

alternative explanation: people look at the chapter count, chose whichever has the coolest name, and read it first 

TenThousandSuns Wrote: I have several chapters like this. I think it is just people who click the chapter link in last updates instead of the story link. Then they don't continue to read. This pattern is almost invariably in low average view stories which makes sense. In higher view stories the small number of people making this error are drops in an ocean.

I don't know what the average view count for my story really qualifies for, but if you're saying it's a statistical quirk of low numbers, I'm not so sure. I have some chapters that have 200 views, and the chapter after that will have *twice* that many. It seems to happen more often with larger chapters.