Disastrous demotivation

I think the word is 'fugue'. 

Anyway, not gonna make this long, just saying... i don't know. 

I don't know what to write.

I mean, I've written plenty. I've got six hundred-odd thousand words up on this site, and I've hit trending a few times, so I know I can write, so once again, I don't know why it is I'm sitting on a couch in my living room watching my fingers type stuff up on RoyalRoad.

To be completely honest, I don't really know why I'm on here, either. 

What about you guys? You ever feel like this?

Does it get better?

Re: Disastrous demotivation

I wouldn't worry too much. We all have times when we get burned out or lose motivation.

Take a break, work on another hobby, smoke some weed (if your of legal age and in a state where it's allowed). Eventually your motivation to write may return, at which time you can do so. Maybe it won't come back, but don't force yourself to do something that your heart isn't into.

Writers write. If your a writer, you won't be able to stay away for long. But maybe your meant to do something else, something greater even. Follow your passion and don't let others dictate your path.

Happy trails!

I've struggled with depression for about seven years now, so I have some idea how you're feeling. Sometimes I've written things, sometimes I can't, and that often has nothing to do with my writing skill.

It's not writers block; I kinda think of it as 'lifeblock'. It's not that I don't know where my stories should go or how to write them, I just... don't. For bad reasons.

Personally, I think there's a link to focus; it's impossible to write any amount if I can't focus. If I'm excited about what I'm writing, I can focus more easily, but when I'm doing poorly mentally, not only is it hard to be excited about anything, it's just plain hard to focus.

If pushing isn't doing push, then perhaps it's time to reverse coarse and take a break? Everyone hits a wall of some kind eventually. Heck, I'm hitting one lately too. I've switched up my release schedule, slowed down, and have been working on just little background details of the lore more.

Sometimes it's also just over thinking. Clear heads make for clear thoughts. Stare at a problem too long and it becomes unintellegable and all that.

It sucks when this happens. I've been in a similar situation myself and it did get better over time. Maybe consider the following:

Is it worth maybe going back to some of your other ongoing projects? 

Could you push yourself by writing something completely new and in a different style to how you normally do?

Have you tried reading some books that inspire your love of writing? Do you have any go tos for this? If not, why not do another forum post because I'm sure people will share their favourites! 

How long have you been trying to write and not enjoying it? Is it a better idea to try taking a break? Are you feeling this way just about your writing or is it across all areas of your life? If so, could you speak to a professional about it?

I hope some of this helped, you can dm me if you want to talk about it anymore though :)

I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling with this Spider.  peodistress

What you're going through is a story as old as time. Some of the greatest writers ever to live have been exactly where you are right now. 

We've all got to find our own way to overcome it. For me? When I find myself struggling to write, I first make sure to take a good break. Once that's done, it's easy to get stuck in a rut, and find it difficult to begin writing again. So, I often force myself to write small amounts, multiple times a day. 50 words here, 100 words there, and all of a sudden, boom Ratmin is back!

Angry Wrote: Does it get better?
To begin with, is it a bad thing? 

Think of it like... circular plot structure. We have to circle through the hero's journey a bunch of times in our lives. It sounds like you're simply at the end of one adventure and on the verge of finishing the journey back to the starting point. Eventually, we all have to return to 'normal'. 

The hero has to go into the unknown adventure zone to chase whatever is the object of his desire. As writers, we do that too. We head into writing, chasing entertainment, philosophy, recognition, money, personal growth, whatever motivates us. And we have our fun in our adventures of writing. But eventually, we either get what we wanted to get, or we move on to wanting something else and then we don't have that same drive to write anymore. 

We can't necessarily control that. What we CAN do, is make sure we finish the arc and circle back the whole way to the starting point. This might be as simple as sitting down and analyzing the story we just returned from. What were you chasing after that made you head into writing, and did you get it? Maybe losing interest is just the natural, inevitable conclusion of having reached your goal? Or having given up on it? 

If so, no worries. You don't need to abandon writing just because of that. The wheel goes on and as soon as we've finished one circle it's time for the next trip down the hero's lane. A sequel, if you will, or the next chapter, and it can be about anything you want. You don't need to quit writing, you just need to return 'home' and then you can start again. We don't get to slow down the revolutions of the wheel. But we do get to choose what we do next. Choose wisely. Because it can be about anything you want, including writing. It just needs to be something you treat as a new adventure, rather than the same one. Maybe what you need is pick a new motivation? Or just think about life and go all philosophical about it? Could be anything and you know yourself best. Or perhaps you're at a completely different point in the plot structure and what you really need is something entirely different?

Just some food for thought. Have fun adventuring. 

Angry Wrote: I think the word is 'fugue'.

I mean, I've written plenty. I've got six hundred-odd thousand words up on this site, and I've hit trending a few times, so I know I can write, so once again, I don't know why it is I'm sitting on a couch in my living room watching my fingers type stuff up on RoyalRoad.

Does it get better?
Oh my goodness. The angry spider has writers block! Yeeessssss! Now I can one up you, pal!

Haha, I'm just kidding.

You know, you write a lot and you produce a lot. I suspect you're not critical about your witting in a way that stalls you or makes you doubt your ability. I've written about five hundred thousand words in the last six months. I think the trouble in coming up with an idea comes from overthinking things. You have to just sit down and write something. Take a cool piece of fantasy art off of pinterest and just write a story about it. I know you can do it, and so do you. I'm not actually in the know on your writing process though, but somehow I doubt you're sitting around outlining stuff.

One way I keep from losing steam is to get ideas from art and video games. But I also write stories set in "worlds" with sequel-like content. That way I'm not stalled. But I get you. I feel this way sometimes and I don't write.

It's the critical voice coming in to tell you that you're a hack, that you don't know how to write, that if you just sit down and start on a story without an idea, that you'll fall flat and waste your time. We both know that's untrue. We know how to make up stuff. We're bullshitters. It's what we do.

Write lists.

Top ten of the coolest scenes think “leaping off a building backwards shooting at a man in a suit while your super powered bf catches you.” (Ok… I stole it from the matrix, but it IS a cool scene.)

Top ten strangest historical figures.

Top ten mythical animals.

Top ten whatever the hell you want!

Hell, go on YouTube and search there.

Then spend some time thinking how they link together.

Whatever you come up with will at least be unique!

This was an exercise an elecution teacher taught me years ago for improv scenes.

Hope it helps!

Yes. When that happen I just sleep, two hours, four hours, maybe even a day. Then when I seem to found energy to write again, I don't. I take a break. A whole day dedicated to not-writing. Reading, watching stuff, taking a walk, you know, fun. Then naturally, when the creative's crave, the susurration of soul calls once more, I'd return for an hour two hours of good manic. Letting the word flood. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. 

As always YMMV.

Angry Wrote: I think the word is 'fugue'. 

I mean, I've written plenty. I've got six hundred-odd thousand words up on this site, and I've hit trending a few times, so I know I can write, so once again, I don't know why it is I'm sitting on a couch in my living room watching my fingers type stuff up on RoyalRoad.

Does it get better?

Oof, sorry, bud. I can't give much words of wisdom on this, since I am a total novice, but I say maybe try to remember why you started writing in the first place, and maybe just make an excerpt for fun? Without worrifying about planning, structure, drafting, etc?