Re: Number Of Stories With X Or More Pages(I Was Just Surprised How Many Had 1000 Pages)

It makes a pretty smooth bell curve right there. I love this stuff - I really wish there was more site wide stats available, though I guess they might want to keep those contained so authors don't try to game patterns.

What I'd really love to see is a scatter plot of ratings-to-page-length. I'd also be interested to see comment-to-view ratios, or comment-per-page to ratings, etc. 

Re: Number Of Stories With X Or More Pages(I Was Just Surprised How Many Had 1000 Pages)

Genuine55 Wrote: It makes a pretty smooth bell curve right there. I love this stuff - I really wish there was more site wide stats available, though I guess they might want to keep those contained so authors don't try to game patterns.

What I'd really love to see is a scatter plot of ratings-to-page-length. I'd also be interested to see comment-to-view ratios, or comment-per-page to ratings, etc.
Oh they are fine letting authors game the system, you just have to pay. Which is fair I guess, sites have costs to maintain. Note that only 8 stories in the top 100 or something in page length are below 4 stars. It would probably be relatively simple for a pro greasemonkey type person to scrap data even dodging anti-bot tech, but probably against site rules. I just checked things manually. 20 stories per page, x number of stories out of 20 on the final page where you hit the number.

I'll note that I did this after seeing a post on top/all time on the royalroad sub. These numbers are almost all roughly 1.5x from 12 months ago. And from 28000 to 38000 stories overall.

I believe it is 37889 total so roughly 63.5% of all stories are above 10 pages and exactly 23% of all stories are 100 pages plus.

There are 216 stories with a perfect 5 rating and over 200 pages. Several have single digit followers so i assume they were rated once.

6 stories with 1000+ pages have 5 stars. The one with the most followers has 56.

Mother of Learning had 13300 followers and a 4.83 rating. The highest rating of any story over 1000 pages.

I wish search could allow us to check more than page count, rating, and one other factor.

There are 20 stories with over 1000 followers and over 4000 pages and a rating of 4 or higher. There are 8 with less than 1000 followers, 4000 pages and a rating of 4 or higher.

TenThousandSuns Wrote: Note that only 8 stories in the top 100 or something in page length are below 4 stars.

There is some inverse causation there - successful stories are the ones that ppl keep writing. And generally, readers only want to pick up stories that are long enough to get some proper meat. So it goes both ways, makes perfect sense why there would be a heavy statistical bias there.

kanadaj Wrote:
TenThousandSuns Wrote: Note that only 8 stories in the top 100 or something in page length are below 4 stars.

There is some inverse causation there - successful stories are the ones that ppl keep writing. And generally, readers only want to pick up stories that are long enough to get some proper meat. So it goes both ways, makes perfect sense why there would be a heavy statistical bias there.
Yeah the exceptions seem to be mainly fanfiction and truly bizarre stuff. Probably because the author already has an attachment to the characters and because it is a bit easier to write fanfic for various reasons.

Genuine55 Wrote:
TenThousandSuns Wrote: 6 stories with 1000+ pages have 5 stars. The one with the most followers has 56.

Woo. That's a lot of writing without a lot of feedback for a webserial. But I guess most traditional doorstoppers get written without feedback every few thousand words.
I think there is a strong chance that many of these stories are written to publish already. Royal Road originals, though I only looked at a few dozen stories individually, seem to be far less likely to get a long way with few followers.

Sake Wrote: For a moment I was confused and thought that over 10 fictions have 24 thousand pages
If The Wandering Inn were still up it would probably have over 24000. One or two others taken down might be up there. Randidly Ghosthound and Savage Divinity are both over 11500. There is a third 11000+ story with 9 followers and a 1.6 star rating from 1 review. It appears to be a Darkseid and other villains fanfiction full of slash. All posted between 3 months and 2 weeks ago.

TenThousandSuns Wrote:
Sake Wrote: For a moment I was confused and thought that over 10 fictions have 24 thousand pages
If The Wandering Inn were still up it would probably have over 24000. One or two others taken down might be up there. Randidly Ghosthound and Savage Divinity are both over 11500. There is a third 11000+ story with 9 followers and a 1.6 star rating from 1 review. It appears to be a Darkseid and other villains fanfiction full of slash. All posted between 3 months and 2 weeks ago.
Somebody wrote over 3 million words of slash fanfic!? I'm both disgusted and impressed.

Some other interesting stats. There are exactly 4180 stories with 200+ pages and more followers than mine. Like 11000ish overall. Of course you jump up a lot of ranks quickly with even 1 new follower. I had 20 but some meanie unfollowed so 19.

Here are some follower numbers in general:

FollowersNumber
4000+122
3000+181
2000+353
1000+840
500+1604
400+1925
300+2433
200+3148
100+4721
50+7072
25+10291
10+15894

For fun Somnia Online is a decent published KU story with 501 followers, though it now records 0 pages. Not sure how much the author makes, though.
Additionally if you want to know the ultimate question for which 42 is the answer it is: "Exactly how many pages of stories on Royal Road have 1000 or more followers?" Page 43 starts with a story with 999. 

The Storm King, which I think is accurately rated at 4.45 stars, and I have read it all cause I have no life, is the story closest to but below 4000 followers.

Only 2.2% of all Royal Road stories or 1 in 45.11 have 1000 or more followers.

MalevolenceMau Wrote:
Edge Wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if there is one psychopath secretly working to achieve this.
I was curious what page count I'd end on, looks to be under half of that number. That's just a few pages  DrakanSweat

Oh naw, that's pretty ambitious though. Keep it up, my guy!

Blind Wrote: Do people have a minimum to start reading? Like 100 pages, 250 pages, one finished book, etc?
Usually it's different for everyone, but the answer is pretty much yes. People don't want to invest in a story to see it dropped. There was a thread on this not too long ago.

My curiosity with this is.... My story isn't very popular on RR (I recognize it could be doing a lot worse). Overall, it has decent quality and good fight scenes (I think). What if I just keep writing until it's one of those handfuls of stories with 4000+ pages.... At some point will people pick it up and enjoy it solely because of the quantity? XD This goes for anyone's story too (except maybe the aforementioned slash fanfic)