Re: idea: guest write

Edge Wrote: The games are originally Nintendo’s own, so the person making the fan game, even with fair use, can’t say anything. If Nintendo leaves it up, it means they are okay with it.

Eh, things get messy with games and movies, because that often involves trademarks. Fair use does not apply to trademark law, and the company is actually required to defend them, or they risk losing the trademark. I'm fairly sure Mega Man is a trademarked character, so if any unlicensed project using his likeness starts getting enough recognition (Capcom can only afford to ignore trademark misuse if it's considered 'inconsequential') they've pretty much got to shut it down or license it, or they risk losing their legal rights to the character - as far as I understand it.

But if what they're doing is actually fair use, no-one can legally stop them. When Koiji Inafune kickstarted Mighty No. 9, he lifted a bunch of the look-and-feel from Mega Man, but he made it legally distinct enough that a lawsuit would fail. Everyone knows it's a Mega Man 'spiritual successor' (if a bad one, by all accounts) but there's nothing that actually says Mega Man on it, or looks enough like him to hold up in court. There are obviously borrowed bits, but nothing trademarked or copyrightable. Pretty sure you can't copyright a game mechanic.

However, if anything is in a gray area, just the threat of legal action is often enough to shut down a project; it doesn't really matter if something is fair use if the producer can't afford to defend it in court. I think I've seen at least one fan project re-skin their game after legal threats, and it turned out alright, they just couldn't leech off the popularity of the fanbase as efficiently. Unfortunately, in our current climate, the rich can hide behind the cost of legal action and bully people into staying away from their stuff - even if it's legally okay. 

But that's really another discussion.

Not_A_Hat Wrote: Eh, things get messy with games and movies, because that often involves trademarks. Fair use does not apply to trademark law, and the company is actually required to defend them, or they risk losing the trademark. I'm fairly sure Mega Man is a trademarked character, so if any unlicensed project using his likeness starts getting enough recognition (Capcom can only afford to ignore trademark misuse if it's considered 'inconsequential') they've pretty much got to shut it down or license it, or they risk losing their legal rights to the character - as far as I understand it.

But if what they're doing is actually fair use, no-one can legally stop them. When Koiji Inafune kickstarted Mighty No. 9, he lifted a bunch of the look-and-feel from Mega Man, but he made it legally distinct enough that a lawsuit would fail. Everyone knows it's a Mega Man 'spiritual successor' (if a bad one, by all accounts) but there's nothing that actually says Mega Man on it, or looks enough like him to hold up in court. There are obviously borrowed bits, but nothing trademarked or copyrightable. Pretty sure you can't copyright a game mechanic.

However, if anything is in a gray area, just the threat of legal action is often enough to shut down a project; it doesn't really matter if something is fair use if the producer can't afford to defend it in court. I think I've seen at least one fan project re-skin their game after legal threats, and it turned out alright, they just couldn't leech off the popularity of the fanbase as efficiently. Unfortunately, in our current climate, the rich can hide behind the cost of legal action and bully people into staying away from their stuff - even if it's legally okay. 

But that's really another discussion.
This is about right as far as I can tell. On another note? How the hell did this thread take this turn? 🤨

I guess we can leave it as this. FanFiction works are allowed to be produced, but in the end the original has the final say. Which normally, it isn’t a problem, since most are fine with the works being put out there. There is actually a whole break down on this specific law, but the one connecting point. Is that, if it is not your own, there can be legal trouble, even under Fair Use. Is this okay? I don’t know. I always stand by, if the idea isn’t yours originally, then the owner has their right towards it. If the author is known to be okay with fan works, then I think it is okay to go ahead. If they are either way, probably better to ask. In the end however, due to the specifics, there is always a risk when putting it out there.

Wumble Wrote: Woud anyone be interested in the idea of another writer having a go with your story, like writing a chapter in the same style/with your characters? Or writing something like a spin off on someones story?
Maybe, but it's also depends a few on certain things.
  • I would have to maintain some sort of control over the story. I'm pretty lack in that "you do you", it's mostly if I see something that might contradict or is out of character.
  • Credit me/the source material. (Just in general)
  • There's more, but it really depends on other factors which will vary from situation to situation.
  • Can't be for profit. It has to be free or we need some sort of contract if you want to profit from it.
Fanfict I don't really care about, but I do liked to be asked. Mostly cause I'm interested on someones view of my works. (When I have my stories up). Either way, there must be some sort of contract.

Edge Wrote: This is about right as far as I can tell. On another note? How the hell did this thread take this turn? 🤨

Haha, right?

Anyways, yeah, I pretty much agree with you. I just think it's important to remember that there are laws about this, and there are ways to determine if it's legal or not. It's also expensive, which is unfortunate, but yeah. You've pretty much summarized it.

I think, instead of writing fanfiction or somesuch, borrowing the "world" the author has created it probably a bit more workable. Kinda like how numerous authors all write in the Star Wars universe. However, that requires the guest writer is familiar with the original author's world, so that's a lot of work for a guest chapter.

Not_A_Hat Wrote: Haha, right?

Anyways, yeah, I pretty much agree with you. I just think it's important to remember that there are laws about this, and there are ways to determine if it's legal or not. It's also expensive, which is unfortunate, but yeah. You've pretty much summarized it.
Yep, this can get even more in depth, so let’s cut this here. 😂

This topic tends to get a ton of attention. By those who understand, and those who don’t. 

Anyway, right now. I have been trying to figure out the difference between GameLit and LitRPG, and I think I have a better understanding by now.

GameLit—> Contains game-like elements, but more focused on the literary part. This one doesn’t contain stats, tables, etc. 

LitRPG—> More focused on a game, with stats, tables, etc. The real math part, not really focusing on the literary part.

Am I right? 🤨

Edge Wrote: GameLit—> Contains game-like elements, but more focused on the literary part. This one doesn’t contain stats, tables, etc.

LitRPG—> More focused on a game, with stats, tables, etc. The real math part, not really focusing on the literary part.

Am I right? 🤨
Hmm... seems about right to me? Although I'd say GameLit could also be games that straight-up don't have stats and stuff, like if you wrote a story where you got platforming powers. Whereas LitRPG is about a game that has RPG stats and stuff - which usually means tables. So all LitRPG is GameLit, but not all GameLit is LitRPG?

Well, I don't really check tags too much when I read, so I might be off-base with that.

Not_A_Hat Wrote: Hmm... seems about right to me? Although I'd say GameLit could also be games that straight-up don't have stats and stuff, like if you wrote a story where you got platforming powers. Whereas LitRPG is about a game that has RPG stats and stuff - which usually means tables. So all LitRPG is GameLit, but not all GameLit is LitRPG?

Well, I don't really check tags too much when I read, so I might be off-base with that.
Yeah, that’s how I am viewing it. The definition of it is a bit, vague. However, from what I can find. The split was made, because of users getting low reviews or something. Since, within LitRPG, there is a game, but they deviate from the stats, tables, etc. Which eventually, a split was made. GameLit, where it has game-like elements, without committing all the way with stats, table, etc, being more literary focused.

Then there is LitRPG, which is stats, builds, tables, etc, not focusing much on the literary part. 

Writing a chapter, no.
Anything cannon, no.
Writing a fan-fiic, I guess, but I won't be reading it. Seriously, I don't want to even see it.

I'm a bit of a control freak. I really don't like doing any thing that would be a collaboration in nature unless it's someone I pick out, that I get to see their work. Plus why would anyone want to mimic the machinations of a dyslexic? One would be better off writing their own stuff than mimicking my writing. One would remain sane if that's the case.

Well, if someone is trying to write a small slice of life chapter involving the characters after asking my permission I would be fine with it as I suck at slice of life. But if someone starts writing a fanfic of mine without asking for my permission, I would get pretty angry as I believe that asking permission and crediting the author is basic etiquette when writing a fanfic involving the characters and the universe I had built up. At the same time, something written by someone else would not be considered by me as part of my universe as they are writing an alternate timeline in another universe. It basically wouldn't be considered canon.
Basically, as long as you ask for my permission and credit me you can do anything you want but it would not be considered part of the universe I am writing.

ReiSyzygy Wrote: Well, if someone is trying to write a small slice of life chapter involving the characters after asking my permission I would be fine with it as I suck at slice of life. But if someone starts writing a fanfic of mine without asking for my permission, I would get pretty angry as I believe that asking permission and crediting the author is basic etiquette when writing a fanfic involving the characters and the universe I had built up. At the same time, something written by someone else would not be considered by me as part of my universe as they are writing an alternate timeline in another universe. It basically wouldn't be considered canon.
Basically, as long as you ask for my permission and credit me you can do anything you want but it would not be considered part of the universe I am writing.
But... here me out... what if they're dead?

The idea sounds interesting! I think I would personally be more interested in co-writing a completely new story with another author in that case. Maybe it can still be loosely based on the world(s)/character(s) of each author's published stories (spin-offs that merge the worlds together, for example). 

The reason I would personally hesitate to let another author write a chapter for my story is mainly that I have a specific idea of where I want my story to go and a strong image in my mind of what the characters/places are like, and I know another author might interpret them a bit differently, which may come out in the writing. If their style is very different, it might also be very jarring for readers.

However, I can see something like this happening as a fun little aside, where it's clearly marked that it's a bonus chapter that has no relevance to the overall plot and is written by So-and-so Author for fun. Readers who enjoy the story a lot might enjoy reading the other author's take on your characters and world, and readers that are fans of the other author might even use it as an introduction to your work as well.

I think the idea definitely has pros and cons that boil down to how it's executed! 
DrakanThinking

Personally speaking, I would like people to write fanfic, preferably stories that are not related or are only barely related to the main plot, since they are kinda like extra promotion. The only catch, like what others said, would only be to credit me as the original. I would be pretty pissed if they don't credit me as the original, as it would be plagiarism at that point. It would be pretty fun to see other people's take on my world, and definitely a fresher view of my creation. After all, it's non-canon anyway (unless if I really enjoy it), so why not let others have their take?