Re: Grammarly or other grammar tools?

I personally have never used Grammarly, but I do enjoy the basic spell checker / grammar checker in both Google Docs and Word (different programs will see different errors.) It's mostly to check accidental typos or dumb mistakes. A native speaker would have to be dumb not to use one, although it is always important to know when to veto the machine. I imagine it would be harder to know when to reject suggested changes for non-native speakers. :(

I have heard that Grammarly always wants to put commas between clauses connected by conjunctions, even when it was a dependent clause which would be incorrect. As a non-Grammarly user, I don't actually know what issues commonly plague it from personal experience.

For other tools, I use the Hemingway Editor from time to time because it can highlight overwrought sentences, passive voice, and adverbs. It is yet another tool, though. Listening to it blindly would result in a different style with very short, non-complex sentences. I imagine it could be helpful going from a translation to help you see what sentences might be overly wordy (though I know nothing about Italian-to-English translations, if that is even an issue).

I'd probably die without the spell-checker feature on Google Docs, but I don't like full-on auto editors. They tend to suggest synonyms that aren't quite synonymous, and insist on correcting grammar that I did wrong on purpose lol
I once read a story by a kid (not on RR) who accepted every change Grammarly suggested. It culminated in the single greatest phrase I have ever read: "His cerulean eyes spewed majesty." I'm not sure why Grammarly suggested those particular words, or what the original phrase was, but that phrase certainly was... memorable.
So yeah, if you get Grammarly just make sure to not accept everything it suggests as a good suggestion.

Mad Wrote: "His cerulean eyes spewed majesty."
That is absolutely so funny! 
In that vein, one time in Google Docs, I cannot remember the exact thing but it gave a suggestion of "He was watching out for her" should straight-up turn into "He was watching her" or something like that (sadly I cannot remember the exact words). And I was just... okay Google, I know that's what you expect him to be doing because that's what you do to everyone... but come on friend. 

dvewlsh Wrote: During a sale I bought a lifetime subscription to ProWritingAid, which is similar to Grammarly but has (imo) better tools for fiction writers. 

I've gotten into a good rhythm using it and it definitely helps me on my full-length novels before I send them to my editor to make sure it's as clean as I can make it.

I second this. I thought my drafts were pretty nifto since I was using Grammarly (Free). Then I installed ProWritingAid and got a 7 day trial. It highlighted 4786 errors in my book of 143,000 words. Grammarly highlighted 600...

You might think that it was the free vs premium thing. It wasn't. Premium on ProWritingAid just allows it to integrate into more applications and read more text at a time.

I went through each error one by one since I had to submit the manuscript to a publisher, and lo-and-behold; I found that the way I write was significantly tilted towards lack of punctuation in key places and run on sentences like billy-o.

So yes, I recommend ProWritingAid dearly. Only thing is, you need to know what to accept and what not to. Especially since a lot of the suggestions are just plain hogwash. But that's something every writing aid tool suffers from, I.M.O.

I hope that was helpful,

Cheers!

Personally, I think that Grammarly can be pretty useful (especially for dumb mistakes like typos) but you do need to have a good basic knowledge so that you know when to ignore its suggestions. 

Also, it loves commas. Be aware of that and maybe ignore a good chunk of those suggestions because sometimes they are entirely unnecessary. 

kieranpierce Wrote: For other tools, I use the Hemingway Editor from time to time because it can highlight overwrought sentences, passive voice, and adverbs. It is yet another tool, though. Listening to it blindly would result in a different style with very short, non-complex sentences.
Do you have desktop version of it? If yes, how big of a difference is between desktop and web versions? At their page there is mention about how desktop gets upgrades, so I'm curious how big of a difference is between them.

I think that Grammarly is a very useful tool for non-native English speakers who aren't confident in their English. I don't think any native English speaker should use it, or any similar tool. It's just too wrong, too often. It's kind of like the grammatical version of elevating your writing by plucking words out of a thesaurus -- English words and grammar are full of nuance that only humans can properly understand and employ. Computers are notoriously bad at speaking English, because of how context-dependent the meaning of a lot of our words is. Grammarly might speak better than a non-native speaker who is still learning the language, but if a native speaker is bad enough at English to need it, then that native speaker also needs the practice of not using it. (And no, their educational tools are not a sufficient substitute for raw practice for native speakers. They may be good resources for people learning English as a second language, though.)