Re: You are forced to write something outside of your comfort zone: what do you write and why?

Haust Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Vivian Wrote: For us it wouldn't be a genre, but it would be third person writing. Our style simply does not translate to third person at all and it'd be like writing with your non dominant hand for us.

We're sure that we could get decent at it, but why spread ourselves that thin? We want to focus on what we're good at and improve in that regard.

Haust Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
MarikoRawralton Wrote: I'd probably do smut, cuz at least I'd have a good time doing it.

I would too, can't think of anything more uncomfortable for the person who's got a gun to my head. It's going to be... very... vey bizarre.

go further. aim higher.

Write a smut fic involving whoever is threatening you.
Go even further and aim even higher.

Find out all of their personal information and make it an autobiography.

Do the impossible, see the invisible. 

Involve all kinds of embarrassing medical detail you found about them in the smut fick.
For example:
They have hermerroids? Spend entire chapter describing them. Then involve them in the act itself.
Go even further, reject sanity. Their hemorroids become a character in their own right and rips themselves off their ass, only to become the love interest.
Go even further, reject reality. Their hemorrhoids get pregnant with them and they have a swarm of hemorrhoid children. The children proliferate until they are the dominate species on Earth.
Go further still, involve time machines. The gun dude is their own hemmoroid descendant. 

... I kind of wish I had never read this. This is out of my comfort zone, alright.
I now kinda want to write this, but I have too many projects that still need to be started.
Don't forget to somehow incorporate the huge quote pyramid we build here into the plot, going all postmodernist meta surrealist
And also lets not forget that this story somehow leads up to the reason why he's holding the gun to your head in the first place. Perhaps a fortune teller told him that he would find out about his unknown ancestry if he just... held a gun to your head and made you write something out of your comfort zone. ANd this was how he found the truth.

maybe he is actually you, and the ultimate plot twist will be that the main character is holding a gun to his own head while contemplating suicide, chosing death over miserable life with hemerroids 

Re: You are forced to write something outside of your comfort zone: what do you write and why?

JMWebb Wrote: Suppose someone put a gun to your head, and told you that you had to write a novel that was completely and utterly outside of your comfort zone. If you don't finish, you die.
I saw this video, it was this seminar by this artist. 

He was going on and on about style and technique and shading and all the different things he'd learned as an artist growing up
And then he reached this point where he's talking about the timeline of his career, and at some point someone stopped him and was like, "Artist, it seems like you like drawing hot girls with big boobs." 
And it made the artist really fucking self-conscious, and he did his best to try out different styles and concepts and expand his horizons and do things he didn't like, and it taught him a lot, it broadened his horizons, it made him a better artist, he grew as a person.
But in the end, he went back to drawing hot women with big boobs. Why? Because he liked doing it. 

sunandshadow Wrote:
Vivian Wrote: Go even further, reject reality. Their hemorrhoids get pregnant with them and they have a swarm of hemorrhoid children. The children proliferate until they are the dominate species on Earth.

This is just one of my pet peeves: dominant species, not dominate.  Dominate is a verb, dominant is an adjective.
To be fair, we did type this in bed when we were half asleep.

Vivian Wrote:
sunandshadow Wrote:
Vivian Wrote: Go even further, reject reality. Their hemorrhoids get pregnant with them and they have a swarm of hemorrhoid children. The children proliferate until they are the dominate species on Earth.

This is just one of my pet peeves: dominant species, not dominate.  Dominate is a verb, dominant is an adjective.
To be fair, we did type this in bed when we were half asleep.
Yeah, anyone can make a mistake, and posts aren't the highest priority for editing.  I wanted to make sure anyone who didn't actually know the correct usage saw what it was; that's done and I'm satisfied so feel free to forget about it.  (I may even be oversensitive after two stories that I tried to start reading recently had exciting descriptions but suffered from a major lack of editing.)

Sake Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Vivian Wrote: For us it wouldn't be a genre, but it would be third person writing. Our style simply does not translate to third person at all and it'd be like writing with your non dominant hand for us.

We're sure that we could get decent at it, but why spread ourselves that thin? We want to focus on what we're good at and improve in that regard.

Haust Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
MarikoRawralton Wrote: I'd probably do smut, cuz at least I'd have a good time doing it.

I would too, can't think of anything more uncomfortable for the person who's got a gun to my head. It's going to be... very... vey bizarre.

go further. aim higher.

Involve all kinds of embarrassing medical detail you found about them in the smut fick.
For example:
They have hermerroids? Spend entire chapter describing them. Then involve them in the act itself.
Go even further, reject sanity. Their hemorroids become a character in their own right and rips themselves off their ass, only to become the love interest.
Go even further, reject reality. Their hemorrhoids get pregnant with them and they have a swarm of hemorrhoid children. The children proliferate until they are the dominate species on Earth.
Go further still, involve time machines. The gun dude is their own hemmoroid descendant. 

... I kind of wish I had never read this. This is out of my comfort zone, alright.
I now kinda want to write this, but I have too many projects that still need to be started.
Don't forget to somehow incorporate the huge quote pyramid we build here into the plot, going all postmodernist meta surrealist
And also lets not forget that this story somehow leads up to the reason why he's holding the gun to your head in the first place. Perhaps a fortune teller told him that he would find out about his unknown ancestry if he just... held a gun to your head and made you write something out of your comfort zone. ANd this was how he found the truth.

maybe he is actually you, and the ultimate plot twist will be that the main character is holding a gun to his own head while contemplating suicide, chosing death over miserable life with hemerroids
Oh shit, this is still going on... But in reality, it wasn't you. The man/woman laughs. "You thought I was you, but it was actually me! Dio!" Plot twist, you were actually in a JoJo smutty Doujinshi the entire time. The Hemerroids were a stand called, Flaming Pains. This stand causes the user and people within a 20 m radios to have hemerroids

An otome (in 3rd PoV), so far all I've tried to write were fantasy, reincarnation stuff.
Usually have the otome isn't that different from another, once you've seen one it's like you've seen everyone of them.
As a man I really hate how otome fmc are weak when in front of the Male lead.
I want an otome with a girl with the same crazy mind as kumoko (kumo desu ga nani ka.) 

Kiebahow Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Haust Wrote:

Haust Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:

go further. aim higher.

For example:

Oh shit, this is still going on... But in reality, it wasn't you. The man/woman laughs. "You thought I was you, but it was actually me! Dio!" Plot twist, you were actually in a JoJo smutty Doujinshi the entire time. The Hemerroids were a stand called, Flaming Pains. This stand causes the user and people within a 20 m radios to have hemerroids

Little did Dio know that I was actually a dog wearing a human fursuit. 
As I remove the fake skin layer by layer, my from shrinks further and further, until I'm no larger than an average Boston Terrier. The entire next page is just a single panel of my majestic body, standing proud over the countless hemorrhoid tentacles, seeing them as nothing but my next meal. 

"Iggy", I bark, looking at Dio menacingly. 

Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Sake Wrote:
Kiebahow Wrote:
Haust Wrote:

Little did Dio know that I was actually a dog wearing a human fursuit. 
As I remove the fake skin layer by layer, my from shrinks further and further, until I'm no larger than an average Boston Terrier. The entire next page is just a single panel of my majestic body, standing proud over the countless hemorrhoid tentacles, seeing them as nothing but my next meal. 

"Iggy", I bark, looking at Dio menacingly.
AAAAAAH ok eighth time writing this. Then Giorno enters the room and traitors requiem plays. Dio and Giorno have a father son discusion which devolves into a fist fight. Then Jonathan Jostar appears and they get into a weird dicsuouon on how Dio and Jonathan bascially made love and are both his fathers. Very awkward. I pick up Iggy and watch from the distance, "wtf is going on?" (I could add of the the quotes cause my computer kept crashing. Avenge me!) We should do a group project lol.

Slice of life - I love the genre and all but for some reason I struggle to write it. I can't. I need something world ending to happen. I clearly just have no chill. 

Bonus answer: I'm also a degenerate- so I struggle to write pg-13 romance scene. I've come from a long line of SMUT, Explicit content, and etc. With the creation of Ao3 I got access to and have written many.... spicy scenes. So now - I always just write all the sexy scenes and then take it out to fade to black in order to make it.. less fanservice-y. 

Gibbs505 Wrote: Hmmm, I'd try a 'intellectual' novel al la James Joyce and try to make it so convoluted that no one would understand it. Just like most James Joyce's novels!
But I would put enough 'smut' in it that it would create a scandal eg James Joyce meets D H Laurence meets "50 Shades of gray' mets x rated books publishers!

This is completely unrelated, but I SWEAR I recognize your profile pic from somewhere else. Jennifer Government?

JMWebb Wrote:
Gibbs505 Wrote: Hmmm, I'd try a 'intellectual' novel al la James Joyce and try to make it so convoluted that no one would understand it. Just like most James Joyce's novels!
But I would put enough 'smut' in it that it would create a scandal eg James Joyce meets D H Laurence meets "50 Shades of gray' mets x rated books publishers!

This is completely unrelated, but I SWEAR I recognize your profile pic from somewhere else. Jennifer Government?
Indeed! You have a good eye! Great book.

JeneClyde Wrote: Romance. Standalone Romance.

I'll do subplots, sure no problem. But a Romance Genre, an actual romance.
Genre romance is an interesting case for talking about the difference between a subplot and a main plot.  Romance isn't actually a plot type, so genre romances can be drama or adventure or sitcom; all sorts of things as long as the climax removes the last barrier to the two main characters living happily together.  There are also a lot of resources around explaining how the pacing of the relationship arc fits together with a standard plot arc, and other resources examining specific example romance novels.  I can imagine various reasons one might not be comfortable or happy writing romance, but people generally agree that if you can write a novel in the first place, writing romance adds no technical difficulty.

I'd have to write a contemporary novel with no supernatural elements since I always want to add something supernatural no matter what I'm writing.

So the plot, Girl goes to college to become a doctor like her parents wanted but she wants to become an animator so she takes on the daunting task of getting two majors. All the while she's also dealing with her friendships, twin brother, boyfriend, and her substance abuse problems. All of which will culminate in her and her brother deciding to make a Manga/Comic together. This is a story about her deciding to be her own person and getting over her parent's overbearing standards, and about her starting to truly care for her brother and friends.