Re: Does anyone else have an authors personality and engagement effect their experience?

Derin_Edala Wrote: This thread has made me feel better about being too lazy to ever include author's notes...

Alternative opinion that might have gotten lost in the word vomit but - I like them. I don't care about patreon plugs and random stuff about people's personal life... but I really like reading all the authors notes that are different.

They aren't the most important thing - neither are comments and responses. The story is obviously. But author notes do add something to the process for me - I like checking the comments after I read a chapter. I like seeing authors interact with their readers. Idk.

Re: Does anyone else have an authors personality and engagement effect their experience?

Ararara Wrote: Personally I dislike reading author's notes, or their super-long comments, because getting to know authors more often than not makes me dislike them, and want to read their stories less. I abhor arrogance, and some 10-20% authors can come across as arrogant, so it taints the experience of reading. 

Also, if you put a spoiler in your authors note, I''m dropping the story then and there, I hate that so much...

I also dislike when authors come across as super desperate for resders/feedback, subconsciously it  makes you want to read less, the more the author hounds you about it and hangs on your every word. I don't want that kind of "power" to make/ruin my day with my random comments.

I still drop a comment most chapters I read, and like replying to them, but mostly really dislike pre/post authors notes. Especially when they talk about irrelevant IRL stuff, i dont care about that usually, just want to get back to the story, and this 1000 word essay author's note is blocking me.

If I were watching a movie, and every 5 minutes it cut to the director explaining behind-the-scenes details and fun facts, or filming himself talking about his family life, I would punch through the TV screen. That's how I feel about author's notes, exaggerated a little... Even *knowing* that a director exists is ruining my immersion, don't keep reminding me of it!!!

It might just be me, but that's how I feel about it. About politics I couldn't care less, I try not to be so judgemental
I found a story earlier where the author had three separate chapters that basically said their updates are going to be delayed due to IRL stuff. Like, one, sure, I get it, but it's probably unnecessary. Just put it in an author's note if it's that important to you. But having three chapters just to tell you, "hey, there's not going to be any updates right now," seems more like you're using the story as a diary than a story.

The most I use an author's note for is to just quickly say to leave feedback (though I haven't bothered to put that in in a while, so I'll probably take it out of the early chapters that I put it in).

One of my favorite parts of web fiction is the sheer amount that's being produced lately, it really helps me remember that if I think something was handled really poorly in a story I can just leave a comment explaining that if I want and leave for a distant story as quickly as closing a tab.

Like, obviously it's good to critically engage with the media you consume and there's no such thing as a perfect story or person. 

As far as author comments go, I think it's pretty cool bit I also recognise that there's a bazillion ways why an author would rather not and that's more than fair. Honestly it sometimes worries me to think that am author is reading every single one of the 50+ comments per chapter, it doesn't really seem that healthy to me. Like a not quite so toxic version of reading youtube comments >_>

Bluelightning42 Wrote: Even though I still liked his novels it kinda soured the whole thing for me. Like I can't fully separate the author from the fiction at that point even if I try. Now my favourite author is Brandon Sanderson and I haven't been disillusioned yet. It's been strengthened by reading about his fan interactions and him showing up on the sub-reddits dedicated to him and posting memes.
Look at most people long enough and something about them is going to bother you. It's not the writer themselves you like, but the writing. Speaking of Sanderson, he's had a shift in his world view. He's woke now. Wouldn't be a problem for me, but he inserts it into his books, So he went from favorite author to "I can't be bothered."

Meh. Move on and find something you like.

LambentTyto Wrote:
Bluelightning42 Wrote: Even though I still liked his novels it kinda soured the whole thing for me. Like I can't fully separate the author from the fiction at that point even if I try. Now my favourite author is Brandon Sanderson and I haven't been disillusioned yet. It's been strengthened by reading about his fan interactions and him showing up on the sub-reddits dedicated to him and posting memes.
Look at most people long enough and something about them is going to bother you. It's not the writer themselves you like, but the writing. Speaking of Sanderson, he's had a shift in his world view. He's woke now. Wouldn't be a problem for me, but he inserts it into his books, So he went from favorite author to "I can't be bothered."

Isn't Brandon both PC on some stuff but still terrible on others? Personally don't care about author politics but I imagine he is the worst of both worlds if you do.

If I disliked the author for whatever reason before I knew about their written works, I probably wouldn't read their stuff. From then on, anything I read from them would be tainted with me wondering whether anything within the story was written with some hidden meaning that I don't agree with. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth, especially if I did manage to read and find that disagreeable, hidden meaning.

If I read and like a written work and then find out I disagree with how that author thinks or with something that they've done or said, I'd be a bit more conflicted. On one hand, their work was good enough to keep me engaged and was an enjoyable reading experience, but on the other I'd be left not wanting to read another work from that author.

As far as reader and author interactions, I don't really care if an author does much interaction or not with their readers. However, if I see an author replying with rude comments or not handling criticism well, it makes me more susceptible to dropping their series/story. It tells me the author isn't interested in the feedback of others, or improving, especially if it's really obvious they need help improving grammar, etc.

The thing that bothers me the most is when an author inserts their own personal beliefs in politics and religion with a heavy hand into their own story. If I wanted to read that sort of stuff, I would find a book about it or read someone's blog. I've stopped reading a few stories on RR for this reason.

I'm of two minds about this, honestly. In general, I don't particularly care about what's going on in the author's personal life, and I tend to ignore those sorts of author's notes. I personally think that it's possible for an Author to be too close to the reader, leading to a sense of entitlement on both sides. Additionally, I'm not a fan of how this leads to Authors feeling like they need to justify absences or weird schedules. It's one of those things that just kinda seems unhealthy to me. 

On the other hand, I find that an author's political views, especially harmful views, can bleed over into the work. It's not always the case that it happens, but when it does I'll drop it pretty fast. I dunno, it's one of those things where a persons worldview informs a lot about how issues are presented and handled in writing.

meteoraguy Wrote:
AnthraxRipple Wrote: On the other hand, I find that an author's political views, especially harmful views, can bleed over into the work. It's not always the case that it happens, but when it does I'll drop it pretty fast. I dunno, it's one of those things where a persons worldview informs a lot about how issues are presented and handled in writing.
"Harmful" views can be interesting to read. They can either reinforce what we already believe or get us to think about the world in different ways. And how can you be so sure it's not your views that are harmful?

unless the author repeats them over and over again in his fiction, clearly inserting his views into the mouths of his characters, and his rants last for several pages non stop rinse and repeat every book 

meteoraguy Wrote:
Sake Wrote: unless the author repeats them over and over again in his fiction, clearly inserting his views into the mouths of his characters, and his rants last for several pages non stop rinse and repeat every book
Yes, that would be annoying and not fun to read. But that doesn't automatically make the author's views harmful. It's so common nowadays for people to label anything they don't agree with as "harmful" or politically incorrect or anti-woke. Bad writing is bad writing. An author's personal views won't elevate the quality of their writing just because you happen to think they're morally superior or on the right side of history.

A good author with "harmful" views is still a good author. Maybe not the best person in the world. But a good author.

I absolutely agree with it, I meant harmful in a more literal sense-overly preachy authors are harmful to my mental stability and quality of life~ as well as harmful to the quality of their story. Because once the story becomes just a vessel for real-life politics, it stops being a fiction. 

meteoraguy Wrote:
Sake Wrote: I absolutely agree with it, I meant harmful in a more literal sense-overly preachy authors are harmful to my mental stability and quality of life~ as well as harmful to the quality of their story. Because once the story becomes just a vessel for real-life politics, it stops being a fiction.
I see what you mean now. I agree, the story should come first. I don't care what the author's personal views are, as long as they write compelling characters and tell stories that interest me.

To add to this and respond to your original point, You are right in that there can be a lot of value in reading something with worldviews and ideals that conflict with own. I would consider harmful view in writing to views that lead to stereotyping or weird generalizations. It's one of those things that's not terribly compelling writing as well as just feeling kind of gross. The two examples of fiction that spring to mind are Heinlein's later books, particularly Time Enough for Love, and Deliverance. Admittedly, the former is almost entirely composed of archetypes, but Heinlein's ideas about women and masculinity are both missing a lot of nuance and tend to paint this as the objectively correct state of the world. Deliverance, as well as a lot of other horror fiction, tends to paint rural folks as these savage inhuman monsters which absolutely sucks to see if you happen to be from a rural area.

LambentTyto Wrote:

Oh my god, nice. I love Sanderson even more now. 

I'm sometimes bothered by how an author responds to comments, but that usually just makes me stop reading or posting comments. Which does lower my enjoyment of the fiction a bit, but usually not enough for me to drop it just for that.

What really does bug me is when an author writes a chapter, and then writes more about the chapter in an authors notes, like explanations of what's really going on or why x did y, stuff like that. It's just... really bad storytelling. If it's important, it should be in the chapter; if it's not important, why did they think it needed explanation? I rapidly lose trust in their storytelling skill, and then usually lose interest in the story.