Re: Best dungeon core stories

The Elemental Dungeon Series is probably my favorite completed story. Book 1 is called Bone Dungeon.  Available on Kindle Unlimited

Dinosaur Dungeon Book 1: Wrath is the best one I've read recently, and book 2 is scheduled for release on amazon in 3 days. :D

If you want something funny with a Japanese style, I love the light novel Lazy Dungeon Master.  (Don't get it confused with The Lazy Dungeon Master D&D tips book.)

If you want to _write_ a dungeon core story, please specify that, I could recommend incomplete but interesting things.

The best dungeon core story in my opinion is:The best officially completed dungeon story in my opinion is:My favorite might actually be https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40231/dungeon-42/ https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26010/dungeon-42--old, but that is more in the engaging than the good category. The original especially has the surprising effect of hardly being readable without waiting a week between chapters and the rewritten variant might not be much better.

Honorable mentionsSome classics (back then top RR quality was quite a lower bar than it is now):Also worth looking at to see the possibilities of dungeon core stories:

Not sure about 'the best' but I recently started reading 'Dungeon Core Academy'  (7 books available if I'm not mistaken), which i quite enjoy.
Personally, I absolutely hate that 90% of the stories turn into some romance between the core and it's obligatory helper. Some very promising stories have been ruined for me by this.
So just the absence of that trope is already a plus point in my book.

Tinim Wrote: Not sure about 'the best' but I recently started reading 'Dungeon Core Academy'  (7 books available if I'm not mistaken), which i quite enjoy.
Personally, I absolutely hate that 90% of the stories turn into some romance between the core and it's obligatory helper. Some very promising stories have been ruined for me by this.
Dungeon fairies, for me personally, are the worst. Even if they don't become sex toys they are still 95% literaly exposition fairies.

TenThousandSuns Wrote:
Tinim Wrote: Not sure about 'the best' but I recently started reading 'Dungeon Core Academy'  (7 books available if I'm not mistaken), which i quite enjoy.
Dungeon fairies, for me personally, are the worst. Even if they don't become sex toys they are still 95% literaly exposition fairies.
I normally dislike dungeon fairies but Viridescent Core does a cool thing with them (as well as with the concept of an adventurers' guild).  Serious spoiler though, so I won't go into detail.

Unrelatedly, I'm amazed no one has recced No Epic Loot, Only Puns yet.  Gets my vote for best world outside the dungeon, especially the characters.  The dungeon is cute and funny, but the S-ranked retirees of the town are the best. :D

sunandshadow Wrote: I normally dislike dungeon fairies but Viridescent Core does a cool thing with them (as well as with the concept of an adventurers' guild).  Serious spoiler though, so I won't go into detail.

Unrelatedly, I'm amazed no one has recced No Epic Loot, Only Puns yet.  Gets my vote for best world outside the dungeon, especially the characters.  The dungeon is cute and funny, but the S-ranked retirees of the town are the best. :D
Will check them out in time, thanks!

whoever Wrote: The best dungeon core story in my opinion is:The best officially completed dungeon story in my opinion is:My favorite might actually be https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40231/dungeon-42/ https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26010/dungeon-42--old, but that is more in the engaging than the good category. The original especially has the surprising effect of hardly being readable without waiting a week between chapters and the rewritten variant might not be much better.

Honorable mentionsSome classics (back then top RR quality was quite a lower bar than it is now):Also worth looking at to see the possibilities of dungeon core stories:

Wow this is one hell of a comprehensive list. Very nice job1