Re: How legit are non-member views?

Just upgraded to the Author tools and I see that member views, those from people signed into RR, are only 5-10% of total views. 

How investigative is the website and what constitutes a 'view'? Is it measuring people just landing on a page and bouncing a few seconds later? Or does it measure reading all the way through? Or are a lot of views just bots?

Obviously, tracking the number of followers, ratings and reviews is more meaningful. I'm just trying to ascertain how many eyeballs are hitting the work and actually reading it. 

kieranpierce Wrote: Perfectly legit. Remember that some 90% of Internet users are lurkers, or something like that. There's definitely going to be people who frequent RR and read stories on here, but never make an account.
Just like how dark matter is 95% of all theoretical matter, and dark fish make up 95% of all life in the ocean.

90% of the Internet is traffic you'll never actually understand or know where it's coming from.

Honestly not sure.  Sometimes I'm impressed by how detailed the database the admins keep is, so I wouldn't put it past them to make sure the numbers were truly meaningful.  But it's also true that this is a statistic people bring to other websites and use to compare against sites like Scribblehub and Wattpad.  So in all honesty, doing something that lowers the viewer count and make it more accurate, is bad for business.  Because let's face it, someone who actually researches this is the anomaly.  Why should RR be the only honest website when everyone already assumes you're dishonest.  

So actually my final answer is going to be that the number almost certainly counts every possible view that can be vaguely interpreted as a view.  

DarkD Wrote: Honestly not sure.  Sometimes I'm impressed by how detailed the database the admins keep is, so I wouldn't put it past them to make sure the numbers were truly meaningful.  But it's also true that this is a statistic people bring to other websites and use to compare against sites like Scribblehub and Wattpad.  So in all honesty, doing something that lowers the viewer count and make it more accurate, is bad for business.  Because let's face it, someone who actually researches this is the anomaly.  Why should RR be the only honest website when everyone already assumes you're dishonest.  

So actually my final answer is going to be that the number almost certainly counts every possible view that can be vaguely interpreted as a view.

The way the numbers look, I have to agree. Views are inconsistent. For example:

Ch 10 - 20
Ch 11 - 25
Ch 12 - 21

How can a later chapter have more views? Obviously, they are not counting full reads. Someone clicked on my book in the Latest Updates list, then maybe read a paragraph and left or bounced to the first chapter. But the system counted their first hit as a view when they very likely did not fully read that chapter. 

I hate to be negative, but the more I look at it, it seems faulty. Even reviews and comments are suspect because a lot of them are only done as an exchange with other writers. The only stat which might be actually relavent is Followers. 

Views seems to be something to take with a large grain of salt. If I were running the system, I'd discount views that weren't complete page reads, and discount views from readers brought to a story from the Latest Updates list. 

Timothy Wrote:
DarkD Wrote: Honestly not sure.  Sometimes I'm impressed by how detailed the database the admins keep is, so I wouldn't put it past them to make sure the numbers were truly meaningful.  But it's also true that this is a statistic people bring to other websites and use to compare against sites like Scribblehub and Wattpad.  So in all honesty, doing something that lowers the viewer count and make it more accurate, is bad for business.  Because let's face it, someone who actually researches this is the anomaly.  Why should RR be the only honest website when everyone already assumes you're dishonest.  

The way the numbers look, I have to agree. Views are inconsistent. For example:

Ch 10 - 20
Ch 11 - 25
Ch 12 - 21

How can a later chapter have more views? Obviously, they are not counting full reads. Someone clicked on my book in the Latest Updates list, then maybe read a paragraph and left or bounced to the first chapter. But the system counted their first hit as a view when they very likely did not fully read that chapter. 

I hate to be negative, but the more I look at it, it seems faulty. Even reviews and comments are suspect because a lot of them are only done as an exchange with other writers. The only stat which might be actually relavent is Followers. 

Views seems to be something to take with a large grain of salt. If I were running the system, I'd discount views that weren't complete page reads, and discount views from readers brought to a story from the Latest Updates list.
When people come back to view additional comments on a chapter it adds to the view count, as well as when people find an attractive title and click that chapter to "sample" your story before reading. 

Also any time that you have a pause in post rate, the last chapter where people catch up and check repeatedly is going to have higher views overall