Re: Do you click on RoyalRoad ads?

kanadaj Wrote: I have stats that say they work, but it has some factor of luck and depends heavily on the banner you use.

I think best campaigns we've had got brand new stories some 300~500 followers for a $90 ad. That's far from terrible, considering standard ad pricing is usually a lot closer to $1/click.
True, then add this into Patreon at least, and it can be beneficial. Gaining followers is of importance, and having an appeal can make up the loss used to get the ad. I imagine they work well.

kanadaj Wrote: I have stats that say they work, but it has some factor of luck and depends heavily on the banner you use.

I think best campaigns we've had got brand new stories some 300~500 followers for a $90 ad. That's far from terrible, considering standard ad pricing is usually a lot closer to $1/click.
Any advice for people making banners for ads?

There are ad blockers for a reason. I guess nobody really likes ads in the web as they take away space that could be filled with real information.
Even if the ads on RR lead to the works of people on RR, I still have an aversion against ads and would never click them. On the other hand I have already clicked on several links in peoples signatures.

MarikoRawralton Wrote:

I think best campaigns we've had got brand new stories some 300~500 followers for a $90 ad. That's far from terrible, considering standard ad pricing is usually a lot closer to $1/click.
Any advice for people making banners for ads?
Some quick advice I can give is the banner in your signature has hard to read text, white on white/light yellow makes it illegible at points. I'd suggest an outline to the text if you're committed to white.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: Any advice for people making banners for ads?

I just started on Royal Road and also with the ads, but my suggestion is to make sure people know what they are clicking on. The first ads I saw seemed to be vague with no way of knowing what the ad was even for. I tried to make make my ad representative of the story and then added some text so people knew what the ad was for. As someone pointed out the term "LitRPG" is too vague so maybe I will get more specific in future ads. You can't have too much text, though, because then it's not legible and covers the image which is what draws people's attention.

I always, always click on user ads (at least the ones that go straight to RR, not the Amazon ones). Heck, I've found myself actively looking out for them.

I do it more out of morbid curiosity than anything else at the moment though; I think I just wonder what is the kind of work that gets promo'd and what sort of author is willing to pay for it. So far, I've yet to follow anything, maybe that'll change.

Either way, just throwing it out there that weirdos like me that click on them exist.

MalevolenceMau Wrote: Some quick advice I can give is the banner in your signature has hard to read text, white on white/light yellow makes it illegible at points. I'd suggest an outline to the text if you're committed to white.
Ah, okay. Thank you.

I've been thinking of taking some time to redesign it to be "cooler" since this first attempt was kinda half-assed to be honest.

MalevolenceMau Wrote: A lot of the images used and font styles at work in the ads make me not want to click them. Plenty of the titles are illegible or don't give any impression to the story aside from some tags, too many titles also use font colours that bleed into the image colours. I feel like the space provided for the non-banners is also too small to even produce an enticing image to hook me in. I've only clicked one or two because they were so bad I thought they were jokes, only to find that they weren't.

Your sig banner is sweet. Stands out in the forum well.

MarikoRawralton Wrote:
MalevolenceMau Wrote: Some quick advice I can give is the banner in your signature has hard to read text, white on white/light yellow makes it illegible at points. I'd suggest an outline to the text if you're committed to white.
Ah, okay. Thank you.

I've been thinking of taking some time to redesign it to be "cooler" since this first attempt was kinda half-assed to be honest.

Also a well done sig banner

It is interesting reading the different points of view on the paid ads. 

I have been considering doing a paid ad here on RR, with a simple variation of my cover.

My reasons being:  
- I do not want to chapter spam to get more exposure and visibility (for the readers), 
- I do not want to cut that heavily into my backlog by chapter spamming. (I really like having a decent buffer) 
- My fiction is not exactly a part of the more trending genres here on RR, it does share some elements though.

My main points why are the first two. 

I am just trying to gauge if it would be worthwhile, since I will be passing over the main character development and the first big shift in my story arc soon. (so there is something more to keep the readers engaged)

Just wondering about other author's opinions.

kanadaj Wrote:
Vivian Wrote: It says a lot when we considered these ads by authors to be the same as some random ad you shouldn't click on from other sites. There's so much going against you for ad space that I don't have any idea why people pay for them.
I have stats that say they work, but it has some factor of luck and depends heavily on the banner you use.

I think best campaigns we've had got brand new stories some 300~500 followers for a $90 ad. That's far from terrible, considering standard ad pricing is usually a lot closer to $1/click.

In one of the previous posts about RR ads effectiveness, a few people complained that while they got some readers from them, they also got tons of 1 star reviews afterwards, and they theorised that while some people just didn't like their novel, some might have done it to spite people that pay for ads. Main reason I didn't try it myself. You have any system to maybe prevent people from 1 staring immediately, or the assumption is good reviews should always balance them out, and it's not a real problem?

Resinling Wrote: In one of the previous posts about RR ads effectiveness, a few people complained that while they got some readers from them, they also got tons of 1 star reviews afterwards, and they theorised that while some people just didn't like their novel, some might have done it to spite people that pay for ads.
That's the kind of horror story that pushes me even further from paying for ads.

Resinling Wrote:
kanadaj Wrote:
Vivian Wrote: It says a lot when we considered these ads by authors to be the same as some random ad you shouldn't click on from other sites. There's so much going against you for ad space that I don't have any idea why people pay for them.
I have stats that say they work, but it has some factor of luck and depends heavily on the banner you use.

In one of the previous posts about RR ads effectiveness, a few people complained that while they got some readers from them, they also got tons of 1 star reviews afterwards, and they theorised that while some people just didn't like their novel, some might have done it to spite people that pay for ads. Main reason I didn't try it myself. You have any system to maybe prevent people from 1 staring immediately, or the assumption is good reviews should always balance them out, and it's not a real problem?

I do click on adds from time to time to check the synopsis, and then decide if its my kind of stuff, so far only a couple have been, but the first adds were very lame, to say the least
I even assumed they were somehow machine generated as a way to give exposure to unknown fictions with a decent word count
It was until later when i noticed the "UserAdd" tag
I wonder how much appearance plays into rating bombing, because seeing someone who pays for an add and has a stock picture with generic floating text, feels even cheaper than having no paid adds at all
They should add a notice to everyone willing to pay "Make sure the banner looks professional, or it will work against you"
Then again, a squared banner is not very attractive of a design, it feels cramped, and any text will cut into the image, but i guess they were designed with phone viewership in mind
Videogame banners already use a longer format that gives enough space to the contents, i dont get why they didnt choose that