Re: Do you click on RoyalRoad ads?

Since this forum came to be, I figured I might as well ask this.

I'm wondering because I, as probably many others became so accustomed to ads that it came to the point that my brain just filtered them out. This has changed a while ago and now this is the only site where I actually click on the ads every once in a while.

I still ignore ads that link to amazon, since I don't really use Amazon, but I almost always click at and advertisement that goes to RR story.

The change was pretty gradual and was a result of reading few post where authors talked about their experience with using ads on RR. It just sort of made me realize that the ads here are by the authors/users here and made me think differently about them. As this point I don't think there is a fiction that I started reading just because I saw or clicked an ad, but that is mostly because it just wasn't story that I was interested in and it isn't that long since I started noticing them.

What about you? Do you click on ads here? Are you actively ignoring them? Do you notice them at all?

I sometimes notice them, but rarely click on them, because they don't interest me. I've found one or two stories I started reading through ads, but in the end dropped them after ~10 chapters or so, I didn't like them enough. 

My only problem with the ads is that there isn't enough authors buying them, so even after checking one out (and deciding I'm not interested) I'll see it many more times in the future. Or if there's a story that I can tell from the ad itself I'm 0% interested in, I will get the same ad shown again and again. If I got a new story offered every time, I would pay more attention to them I think

We seriously didn't even know there were ads until we saw this thread and went to look.

Ararara Wrote: I sometimes notice them, but rarely click on them, because they don't interest me. I've found one or two stories I started reading through ads, but in the end dropped them after ~10 chapters or so, I didn't like them enough. 

My only problem with the ads is that there isn't enough authors buying them, so even after checking one out (and deciding I'm not interested) I'll see it many more times in the future. Or if there's a story that I can tell from the ad itself I'm 0% interested in, I will get the same ad shown again and again. If I got a new story offered every time, I would pay more attention to them I think
This thread does a pretty good job of showing why more don't buy ad space.

Ads don't make a ton of sense on Royal Road. I already have search and several ranked lists. The ads are small and can't contain relevant information due to that. It used to be that at the book store you'd see a cover and be like okay maybe. Now a cover is just a modifier on other things. The ads really only show covers and that is outdated. The text is usually just like, cultivation vs litrpg vs epic fantasy and myabe the title but for some dumb reason sometimes no title. Well as people who read the forum debates know "LitRPG" is an incredibly amorphous term. It can't even tell you if the game mechanics are prominent, is it a vrmmo or a native world? Portal fantasy?

It is one thing to show these limited value ads on Reddit or something but on a site where the users are way more invested and particular the ads just don't do anything.

Ararara Wrote: I sometimes notice them, but rarely click on them, because they don't interest me. I've found one or two stories I started reading through ads, but in the end dropped them after ~10 chapters or so, I didn't like them enough. 

I agree especially the latter part. So few authors buy ads so whenever they come up, it's the same stories over and over again. Eventually I just stopped seeing them.

Yes, I've clicked on the user ads. I clicked on one earlier today. I'm pretty certain that at least one or two stories on my follow list started with an ad click. 

Out on the wild, wild web, I generally avoid clicking on ads, even if I'm interested in the product, because I don't want to be targeted by similar ads for the next 6 months. I'm not worried about anything like that happening here. I know that on otherside of that click is a writer just trying to get some attention paid their work. That's a noble goal and I'm very happy to give them the time of day.

saveable Wrote: Yes, I've clicked on the user ads. I clicked on one earlier today. I'm pretty certain that at least one or two stories on my follow list started with an ad click. 

Out on the wild, wild web, I generally avoid clicking on ads, even if I'm interested in the product, because I don't want to be targeted by similar ads for the next 6 months. I'm not worried about anything like that happening here. I know that on otherside of that click is a writer just trying to get some attention paid their work. That's a noble goal and I'm very happy to give them the time of day.
It says a lot when we considered these ads by authors to be the same as some random ad you shouldn't click on from other sites. There's so much going against you for ad space that I don't have any idea why people pay for them.

A lot of the images used and font styles at work in the ads make me not want to click them. Plenty of the titles are illegible or don't give any impression to the story aside from some tags, too many titles also use font colours that bleed into the image colours. I feel like the space provided for the non-banners is also too small to even produce an enticing image to hook me in. I've only clicked one or two because they were so bad I thought they were jokes, only to find that they weren't.

Vivian Wrote: It says a lot when we considered these ads by authors to be the same as some random ad you shouldn't click on from other sites. There's so much going against you for ad space that I don't have any idea why people pay for them.
I have stats that say they work, but it has some factor of luck and depends heavily on the banner you use.

I think best campaigns we've had got brand new stories some 300~500 followers for a $90 ad. That's far from terrible, considering standard ad pricing is usually a lot closer to $1/click.