Re: New Site Background Thoughts

EDIT: Oh wow. I just realized that my default zoom setting made it so that I could only see the edges (not even the birds). I just zoomed out a bit, and the borders look gorgeous. Especially the birds.

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to gauge your thoughts on the new site background. Personally I love the entire picture (it looks pretty epic). However, while using the site, only the sides of the image are seen as a border, and I find it a tad too dark, especially when I'm reading (Or maybe I need to get used to it). What do you all think?
Image for reference:
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroad.com%2Fdist%2Fimg%2Fnew-b...a019d31c0d

I think it looks quite good, and I enjoy the change overall. It's unintrusive enough that it doesn't really bother me as I read, and I enjoy seeing little aesthetic changes like this. The artist for the background is also the same artist for the home banner pages so it gives a certain unified feel as well. Might take some getting used to for others though, but since I already use dark mode, I don't mind the darker background. 

I'm of a similar opinion, the whole image looks great although most of what you can actually see is just a dark side of a mountain. Although I like both the old and new backgrounds for the same reason; it's something about the vast untouched expanses that I think is fitting for a site where people publish their creative outlets.

I like it. The landscape with clouds and mountains shows the majesty of nature (or capital-N Nature!?), the giant statue adds the awe of what people (perhaps humans but at least humanoid, going by the statue's features) can accomplish, and the person with bunnies in the foreground combines both.

It's a bit sad that during the everyday use of the site we can only see the borders, not the whole image.

I like the new picture a lot! However, I think it'd be cool if you could crop the image offset the center (maybe by cutting out some of the top and some of the left). That way when I zoom out to 25% (the lowest allowed on my browser) I can see what the subject of the image is. Right now when I zoom all the way out I can't see that the sculpted mountain is a lady or that there is a protagonist in the foreground with bunnies. I could only really see the setting in general, but not the subject.

Anyway, overall I really like the image!