Re: Hello, happy to be here

Hello, my name is Emma. Online, I usually go by TB. I'm 25, and I haven't really posted original fiction online since before figment.com was dead and then deleted. (If anyone used to be on there, OMG HI we probably saw each other on the General/Random forums!) Honestly, I am joining Royal Road as a really self-indulgent whim. I mostly turned my back on the idea that I'd ever write full novels ever since I was 18 and failed out of my freshman year as a creative writing major. I'm not confident I'll finish anything here, either, to be honest, but see, my cousins visited a week ago, and something about seeing my little teenage cousin being a total weeb and the light in her eyes while she watched an anime she was showing me just, I don't know, brought back an old fire? I felt so much cringe in me reigniting. I wanted to write light novel fantasy nonsense where I vicariously live my fantasies of the sort of friendships and familial relationships I wish I had and game screens in person and¬†powers that go brrr shing pew and all of that. Just put it all on a page and not give a shit about that vulnerability since it's anon anyways. I'm guessing a lot of people are here for similar reasonings. Looking forward to hanging out on the forums and being a regular in review swaps ūüĎČūüĎȬ†

Welcome! I knew there was another thread hiding, glad it showed up.

I've definitely seen at least one other RR person mention Figment, so there might be some more alumni lurking about.

For the most part the RR community is friendly and helpful, so even though you feel nervous about posting, I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides, you're writing the stories you want to see and enjoy, and if you enjoy them who cares what others say?

Here's some RR tips & tricks; https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/111469

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Cinn Wrote: Welcome! I knew there was another thread hiding, glad it showed up.

I've definitely seen at least one other RR person mention Figment, so there might be some more alumni lurking about.

For the most part the RR community is friendly and helpful, so even though you feel nervous about posting, I'm sure it'll be fine. Besides, you're writing the stories you want to see and enjoy, and if you enjoy them who cares what others say?

Here's some RR tips & tricks; https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/111469

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

While my thread was under moderation, I saw that you respond to everyone's introduction posts. Suffice to say, I have already both read your Beginner's Guide and come to admire your dedication to being helpful and welcoming. Thank you. 

Don't judge your creative writing ability against your grades in creative writing courses! Most of those programs are geared towards literary fiction. They don't even like regular old genre fiction, and what flies in web serials can be even farther removed than that.

This is a great place to go brr shing pew as you said!

parkertallan Wrote: Welcome to Royal Road. It's funny what motivates us to get back into something. Love your attitude, just write what you want to and put it out there. I feel the same way. Hope you find enjoy being here and that you achieve everything you want to here. Good luck.

Exactly, it can just be fun. I look forward to it. Thank you for your welcome 

kieranpierce Wrote: Don't judge your creative writing ability against your grades in creative writing courses! Most of those programs are geared towards literary fiction. They don't even like regular old genre fiction, and what flies in web serials can be even farther removed than that.

This is a great place to go brr shing pew as you said!

Well thank you for trying to reassure me. Nah, the first college I went to is actually pretty great for speculative genres. It was more just one of those environments where it's the expectation that at minimum half of every freshman class with drop out before the year's up. 

Posting online for fun is not gonna be that kind of experience, and everyone here seems really friendly to boot. It'll be fun. Thank you for welcoming me. 

A West Texas ditty about Twinkle Blossom:

Did you ever know that girl "Emma"?
She's only twenty-five years old,
She has a passion for spinnin' yarns,
At least that's what I'm told,

Emboldened by her cousin,
Who was watching animes,
Emma, she began to dream,
Like in her younger day days,

And then she started walkin',
Down the Royal Road,