Re: ~First post; kinda nervous~

(I hope that the subject line made you laugh / cringe.)

I'm shy when it comes to posting stuff on the Internet (always worried that I will accidently make people hate me and take it out on my fiction.) It's probably a needless worry because I always strive to be nice and help people whenever I can. Plus, the overwhelming majority of people on the site seem to be incredibly nice!

I've lurked on the forums, and it is evident that some good discussions happen here! My biggest point of improvement in site engagement is that I could actually participate in the forms, so here I am. (I saw when Cinn put her guide together. Thank you for doing something so helpful for the community and all of the new people who land in the Introductions threads!!)

I've been on RR since April and learned a lot about the site, web serials, and actually sharing my writing with other people.
This is my first post just to ease my anxiety and maybe see how the autogenerated signature looks.

Thanks for reading my first-ever post and welcoming me to the site! 

Ploopie Wrote: Welcome! It seems you've got everything covered already, before making this thread. I hope you have a great time here! Seems like you're already doing really well for your book, so... welcome again?

Thank you! I definitely have been having a great time here. 
Also, your guide on tables is really good! Thank you for making that for everyone!!! I'm going to implement some of your advice in that thread when I make more / clean up the existing ones.

kieranpierce Wrote: Thank you! I definitely have been having a great time here. 
Also, your guide on tables is really good! Thank you for making that for everyone!!! I'm going to implement some of your advice in that thread when I make more / clean up the existing ones.

Ahaha, thanks! To take my advice would be... bold of you. Jokes aside, I'm glad it helped!

Welcome!
kieranpierce Wrote: I'm shy when it comes to posting stuff on the Internet (always worried that I will accidently make people hate me and take it out on my fiction.) It's probably a needless worry because I always strive to be nice and help people whenever I can. Plus, the overwhelming majority of people on the site seem to be incredibly nice!

That last line pretty much sums up the RR community. But seriously, you can't please everyone, so just keep doing as you're doing and be nice/civil and constructive when you have criticism and you'll be fine. There'll always be someone who'll be having a bad day and might just take it out on your fiction, it comes with the territory of being online, but remember they're not your target and their opinion isn't reflective of your fiction.

This is part of why I tell people to focus on the story they want to tell, because then it helps them decide if the advice/suggestions others are giving are right for their fiction. Also, it means you enjoy writing it.

kieranpierce Wrote: I've lurked on the forums, and it is evident that some good discussions happen here! My biggest point of improvement in site engagement is that I could actually participate in the forms, so here I am. (I saw when Cinn put her guide together. Thank you for doing something so helpful for the community and all of the new people who land in the Introductions threads!!)

And it was no problem putting the guide together, I was practically posting the original version on every intro thread, made sense to just give it its own thread and it has since gained a life of its own. In a good way. But thanks!

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Cinn Wrote: And it was no problem putting the guide together, I was practically posting the original version on every intro thread, made sense to just give it its own thread and it has since gained a life of its own. In a good way. But thanks!

This just emphasizes how cool and nice you are. Cinn the Advice-Giver, celebrity of the Introductions section :)

Cinn Wrote: That last line pretty much sums up the RR community. But seriously, you can't please everyone, so just keep doing as you're doing and be nice/civil and constructive when you have criticism and you'll be fine. There'll always be someone who'll be having a bad day and might just take it out on your fiction, it comes with the territory of being online, but remember they're not your target and their opinion isn't reflective of your fiction.

This is part of why I tell people to focus on the story they want to tell, because then it helps them decide if the advice/suggestions others are giving are right for their fiction. Also, it means you enjoy writing it.

Thank you!! That's probably one of the few universally applicable pieces of writing advice. In particular, it is a very good reminder for me, and I will try to keep it in mind as I journey into the world of the forums, and also as I continue writing my story. "I can't please everyone" and "don't take it personally" have to be a mantra or something.

Welcome to Royal Road and the Forums. Have to agree with your assessment of the Royal Road community. I think the Forums are a great way to get to know the community. Commenting on any stories you read is another way to interact with the community (and greatly appreciated). Your signature came out quite well. Hope it leads to many people finding your work. Glad you're enjoying the site and hope many people check out your work. Good luck.

Foofy the doberman pinscher. On my gosh. That's adorable. 

I had a doberman once. It had a bit of rotweiller mixed in, so it was huge. He was the cutest thing I'd ever seen. I owned a sports coupe for a car at that time, so it only had two doors, one on each side. I'd take my dog to the park in the back seat, but of course when you opened the door he could get out. So whenever he saw green grass out the window with the car stopped, he'd get excited, anticipating a run.

My girlfriend at the time was driving my car, and she picked me up from work to go to lunch with the dog in the back seat. We went to the park and had a good time, and when we got back to my workplace, I hurriedly got out of the car. There was a nice patch of green lawn at that spot, and the dog saw it and got excited.

There also were about twenty of my coworkers sitting on the lawn on their lunch break. The dog barrelled out of the car and headed straight for them. I couldn't grab his collar as he passed, but I got both my hands on his side. I started shoving with all my might, turning him back towards the car. As my girlfriend called him, he hopped in and I slammed the door.

It took all of about three seconds, but my coworkers had scattered like cockroaches, seeing that giant lummox heading straight for them. It was like trying to stop a freight train as I shoved him to get him to turn towards the car.

He really was the sweetest dog ever. But huge. Very huge.  ❤😻🐶❤

ArDeeBurger Wrote: I had a doberman once....

Lol that entire story is great! Dogs are funny that way. They just want to maul someone with love, but people are scared they want to maul them for real.

My dog is a Lab and is super friendly as expected, but at the same time when she's barking at something, all of her back fluff gets spiked up and she sounds kinda savage. I'm always just like 'where did this come from?' o.o

Foofy is a touch aggressive in story, but the mc Val has an easy time with him because she's a super strong demigoddess and also has an ability to calm down animals. Wouldn't that be nice for handling our puppers? No barking Labs or pushing Dobie/Rotties like freight trains then.
DrakanMelt

AlexaLee Wrote: Welcome to RR! It's a pretty scary and overwhelming at first but it gets easier!

I feel a lot better about the forums already. This Introduction thread really served its purpose in helping me feel welcome hahaha.

Timothy Wrote: ***DOOM FLAG***

Lower the ***DOOM FLAG***!! I think that it's safe to say that I will keep being active here when I'm able to :)