Re: Hello to Everyone in Royal Road -O-

Hello there everyone!

I've been on this site for quite a bit but I haven't paid much attention to it until now and I'm glad I did.

Right now, I have a few chapters of my novel "Twilight Neverland" published. It's a fantasy novel, but it didn't reach the fantasy part much which I'll be working on fixing with more chapters to come. I'd like it if someone could read it and perhaps give me feedback, but if no one can, that's completely fine. (╯▽╰ )
I just want to get to know everyone on the site and be more active.

Thanks! b( ̄▽ ̄)d

Welcome to Royal Road. You might want to slow up your posting rate a bit. Posting one chapter a day helps maximize your exposure on the Latest Updates list where many readers fine stories to read. The best ways to be more active on the site are to post in the Forums and comments on stories you read. You can also look into comment and review swaps in the Review section of the Forums to get feedback. Hope you enjoy being here and that your story attracts many readers. Good luck.

Took a quick look at your synopsis. I found the jump from the first to second paragraph a little confusing. Does Zachary wish for a world without words? However, I did like the last part which gave a nice air of mystery and fantasy to the story.

Welcome! It's never too late to edit and revise, remember it's your fiction so you control what changes you want to see.

I second Parker's advice about post rate and comment swaps. Swaps aren't strictly necessary because visibility on RR is decent. Here's some RR tips & tricks: https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/111469

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Welcome to RR! I hope your story's 'Twilight Neverland' finds a readership here. I've been here roughly a month. I've learned a few tricks to help gain momentum in that time.

Beyond what others have posted about the banner signature, I found a lot of great new reads in the new release section. I've found a few hidden gems in the bunch which I was all to happy to follow and upvote.

So that's Tip 1. Check out the new release section and have a look at what's coming out. Leave a vote for the ones you like. They can't see who voted for them, but it helps writers push past the insecurities of writing to an audience.

Tip2: Comment. Often. Even if it's just a 'good job' or an 'I liked this part'. Same as above, it gives the writer a nice positive push. But really, if you can engage with the content in some way, like coment on what's happening, or on a character's behaviour, or what wild theories you've concocted with the story, that goes so much further.

Tip 3: Rate. I don't rate anything that I personally feel is less than 3-stars, because I don't want people to quit over an opinion of their work. And a low rating without knowing why a reader rated that way can be devistating. The objective is to encourage while being authentic to you and your tastes.

Tip 4. Review. This ties into ratings - but unlike ratings, the writer and others CAN see your review. You have two options here. A critical review, which very few people actually want, comes in the form of feedback, criticism, etc (I tend to this privately and only when asked). Or you have the option of doing a general review, which I treat like a reader focused review. In this version try to focus on how I would explain what I just read to a buddy of mine, who happens to also read the same sort of things I do. It doesn't always go over well, but much like in writing, intentions aren't always perceived as intended.

I've made plenty of new friends here as a result, and I'm slowly building a community of readers while finding some new and inspiring talent which helps me learn how to write better stories.

Oh last tip! Remember to follow and favourite stories that you want to keep up with. It has the double bonus of keeping you notified of when a new update goes up, makes it easy to find in your personal library while making it easier for other people to find new exciting stories through you, AND it goes a long way to help out your fellow writers with their stats - it's part of what makes this place a great community.

Beyond that be patient, be consistent with your writing - post on a regular schedule after the first 10 days of posting. Readers trust reliable writers over the quality of the writing. Your posting schedule should match your ability to produce consistent quality of your writing style and story.

Finally, remember that everyone has their preferences. Remember why you're writing and keep going. You can only get better if you put in the time and practice.

Best of luck.

parkertallan Wrote: Welcome to Royal Road. You might want to slow up your posting rate a bit. Posting one chapter a day helps maximize your exposure on the Latest Updates list where many readers fine stories to read. The best ways to be more active on the site are to post in the Forums and comments on stories you read. You can also look into comment and review swaps in the Review section of the Forums to get feedback. Hope you enjoy being here and that your story attracts many readers. Good luck.

Took a quick look at your synopsis. I found the jump from the first to second paragraph a little confusing. Does Zachary wish for a world without words? However, I did like the last part which gave a nice air of mystery and fantasy to the story.

Oh thank you very much for that! ヾ(•ω•`)o

And yea, about the posting rate, I'm planning to follow a release schedule once Arc 0 is done which is why I stopped for a bit to sort things out on my own. I used to write on webnovel but then I figured Royal Road is much better when it comes to me as an author (that maybe why I posted so much in so little time here).

As for the synopsis, they are supposed to be a little confusing since it's not really the synopsis. It's a little something for readers that follow me from the start (that's if there is any) that they should find rewarding later down the line in the plot.

Again, thank you for the response! ヾ( ̄▽ ̄) ~

Cinn Wrote: Welcome! It's never too late to edit and revise, remember it's your fiction so you control what changes you want to see.

I second Parker's advice about post rate and comment swaps. Swaps aren't strictly necessary because visibility on RR is decent. Here's some RR tips & tricks: https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/111469

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

Thank you! I will be sure to follow that advice.

And thank you for the tips link. Read it and it's been really helpful. b( ̄▽ ̄)d

A Wrote: Welcome to RR! I hope your story's 'Twilight Neverland' finds a readership here. I've been here roughly a month. I've learned a few tricks to help gain momentum in that time.

Beyond what others have posted about the banner signature, I found a lot of great new reads in the new release section. I've found a few hidden gems in the bunch which I was all to happy to follow and upvote.

So that's Tip 1. Check out the new release section and have a look at what's coming out. Leave a vote for the ones you like. They can't see who voted for them, but it helps writers push past the insecurities of writing to an audience.

Tip2: Comment. Often. Even if it's just a 'good job' or an 'I liked this part'. Same as above, it gives the writer a nice positive push. But really, if you can engage with the content in some way, like coment on what's happening, or on a character's behaviour, or what wild theories you've concocted with the story, that goes so much further.

Tip 3: Rate. I don't rate anything that I personally feel is less than 3-stars, because I don't want people to quit over an opinion of their work. And a low rating without knowing why a reader rated that way can be devistating. The objective is to encourage while being authentic to you and your tastes.

Tip 4. Review. This ties into ratings - but unlike ratings, the writer and others CAN see your review. You have two options here. A critical review, which very few people actually want, comes in the form of feedback, criticism, etc (I tend to this privately and only when asked). Or you have the option of doing a general review, which I treat like a reader focused review. In this version try to focus on how I would explain what I just read to a buddy of mine, who happens to also read the same sort of things I do. It doesn't always go over well, but much like in writing, intentions aren't always perceived as intended.

I've made plenty of new friends here as a result, and I'm slowly building a community of readers while finding some new and inspiring talent which helps me learn how to write better stories.

Oh last tip! Remember to follow and favourite stories that you want to keep up with. It has the double bonus of keeping you notified of when a new update goes up, makes it easy to find in your personal library while making it easier for other people to find new exciting stories through you, AND it goes a long way to help out your fellow writers with their stats - it's part of what makes this place a great community.

Beyond that be patient, be consistent with your writing - post on a regular schedule after the first 10 days of posting. Readers trust reliable writers over the quality of the writing. Your posting schedule should match your ability to produce consistent quality of your writing style and story.

Finally, remember that everyone has their preferences. Remember why you're writing and keep going. You can only get better if you put in the time and practice.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to keep em in mind and follow em! o(* ̄▽ ̄*)o

And I guess I gotta be patient and do what I do best: write.