Re: Looking for an artist to commission a logo

I'm not looking for a freebie, but I wouldn't mind finding someone cheaper than what a graphic designer would charge. But I also want to trust that someone I'm going to pay is going to make something I like, you know? So I'm looking for an artist or designer comfortable with logo type design, who hopefully also has some artwork I can see first too. 

Basically I want a castle with a shooting star arcing over it, designed with the Star Trek logo's outline in mind. Basically a mashup of the Star Trek and Disney logos. 

Any recommendations? 

Are you sure what you are looking for is a logo? At least by your signature, it looks like the castle + star design that you described is your current book cover. Logo design tends to be different from book cover design, and not saying that a good logo can't make good cover art, but I would recommend looking for what you actually want.

Also, when talking to designers, be careful about saying exactly what you want and expect them to give it to you. If you're working with a professional / good hobbyist, they can produce better work if you give them a little room to do their thing. 

I can think of two additional, potentially good mockups that could be similar to what you're looking for but perhaps more unique / iconic. I dapple in design from time to time and would be willing to give it a shot! (I would do a freebie.) I don't exactly have a portfolio, but I did make the cover in my signature!

kieranpierce Wrote: Are you sure what you are looking for is a logo? At least by your signature, it looks like the castle + star design that you described is your current book cover. Logo design tends to be different from book cover design, and not saying that a good logo can't make good cover art, but I would recommend looking for what you actually want.

Also, when talking to designers, be careful about saying exactly what you want and expect them to give it to you. If you're working with a professional / good hobbyist, they can produce better work if you give them a little room to do their thing. 

I can think of two additional, potentially good mockups that could be similar to what you're looking for but perhaps more unique / iconic. I dapple in design from time to time and would be willing to give it a shot! (I would do a freebie.) I don't exactly have a portfolio, but I did make the cover in my signature!

So my cover is basically just my own crap artwork with some filters applied. :D It’s close enough until I can figure something better. 

And yeah, I do want a logo. Eventually at least. I really love minimalist covers like these Tolkien covers (sorry for the Pinterest link) and a corporate logo that somehow combines a castle with the Star Fleet badge is pretty appropriate to the story. 

Genuine55 Wrote: And yeah, I do want a logo. Eventually at least. I really love minimalist covers like these Tolkien covers (sorry for the Pinterest link) and a corporate logo that somehow combines a castle with the Star Fleet badge is pretty appropriate to the story.

Okay, I can see that! Those Tolkien covers are very different from logos though--a lot more detail going on especially compared to corporate logos. Definitely tell the designer that you work with that it's for a book cover.