Re: To continue or create second book...

Hi all! 
I am nearing the end of my first book and was wondering which direction is best to go:
To end this book and to create a new submission as the second book
Or
To just write it all under the image and space of the first book.🤔
I was wondering if there were benefits or kickbacks doing it in different ways. 
Some writers on here put them all in one spot and then when they self publish it just seems like the main content just vanishes. 
Wouldn't it be better to write each with a new submission and cover? 
🤷🏻‍♂️ I don't know. 
Thanks for your time and words if you have insight into this. 

It's a tricky one! You may find these threads useful from the last month or so that have posed the same question and had some good responses to.

https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/111504?page=1#pid969700

https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/111411?page=1#pid968034

It also depends on what you want to get out of your time here and from sharing your work, but have a look at those threads as they will cover all the pros and cons! Good luck!

If it's the same story, you'll usually want to keep it all together, so you can keep your followers and page views all in one story. There are some scenarios where you might want to separate it, but if it's a continuation of the same story, you'll probably want to post it as the same story.

Ken Wrote: Some writers on here put them all in one spot and then when they self publish it just seems like the main content just vanishes. 
Wouldn't it be better to write each with a new submission and cover?

This question is different, and only tangentially related.

The first thing to know is that normal self-publishing (say, as an ebook on Amazon) doesn't require you to take your story down from Royal Road. If an author takes their story down, there's another reason for it, such as:

1. They want to publish via a method that *does* require them to take it down, such as Kindle Unlimited.

- or -

2. They themselves want to take it down.

If they take the whole story down and not just the first book, that doesn't really have much to do with whether they originally posted it as multiple stories or one story. Instead, it's because removing their early books and leaving their later books up isn't necessarily a great idea. It lets them sort-of support their existing RR readers, but those readers can no longer go back and re-read the whole story, which may piss them off. It doesn't really let the author use RR to bring in new readers, because new readers can no longer start at the beginning. And any new readers they picked up on Amazon might then come to RR to read future books for free instead.

You have to balance the pros and cons. The best part about posting on RR is bringing in new readers, so if you're using RR, you really want to leave your early books up. If you take your early books down, there's not as much reason to continue posting the later books in the series. There's *some* reason, but not as much, and it may be outweighed by other considerations.

But none of this is closely related to your original question, about whether to post your novels as separate stories.

Well, I can't speak to which option would work best in terms of reader retention as I've not dealt with this yet with still building my backlog. However, speaking as a reader, my personal preference is for each book to be a separate submission. If the second book is a continuation of the first, I would definitely make sure to include a note at the end of the first when it's finished to make sure readers know that and what title to look for.

IvyVeritas Wrote: The first thing to know is that normal self-publishing (say, as an ebook on Amazon) doesn't require you to take your story down from Royal Road. If an author takes their story down, there's another reason for it, such as:

I think this isn't entirely sure. If you want to enlist in KU, then I think you can't leave more than 10% of your work floating around.

I might be wrong though :-)

The Wrote: I think this isn't entirely sure. If you want to enlist in KU, then I think you can't leave more than 10% of your work floating around.

I might be wrong though :-)

The part of my post you quoted is referring to publishing a regular ebook, which doesn't require you to take your story down from RR. Right below that paragraph, I mention that publishing through Kindle Unlimited does mean you have to take it down. Hope this helps!