Re: Star Reviews

What is the difference between the Overall Score, Style Score, Story Score, Grammar Score, and Character Score. I'm assuming its something like this

Overall Score: The total score based on the other four scores
Style Score: I'm not sure about this one, probably word choice and attention to detail
Story Score: How well your story progresses and the number of plot holes it has
Grammar Score: How good your grammar is
Character Score: How well written and authentic your characters are

Am I right or do the scores represent something different?

The 'overall' score isn't really the average of the others, per se. It's how good your story is, overall. So a story that has 1 in all the others (however unlikely) could still get a four-star or above overall. That's why it's not a built-in automated AVG mechanic. And I'm pretty sure everyone has a different understanding for the categories since there aren't any real guidelines. The names are pretty self-explanatory, though.

From the FAQ:

Quote:If you read the story, there are three levels of feedback you can leave:
Ratings are plain 0.5-5 star scores. No written feedback or justification for the score is required.
Basic Reviews provide an overall 0.5-5 star score along with a brief overview of your opinion of the story, providing some justification for the score.
Advanced Reviews provide a score for the overall fiction in addition to the following subcategories: Style, Story, Grammar, and Characters.
  • Style: The general feeling of the piece as created by the author's word choice, literary devices, and unique way of writing.
  • Story: Plot development and pacing (i.e. how well a story is put together).
  • Grammar: The technical aspects of the writing, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
  • Character: The characters in the story, how well they are depicted, how realistic and three-dimensional they are. This applies to both main and side characters.