Re: How many chapters should I have before submitting my novel?

I appreciated all the advice about the cover page. You have been most helpful with that. However, I'm coming back with another question about how many chapters I should make before submitting my novel series to the site. I saw that some people said to have 15-20 chapters ready, which seems like a lot to me because most of my chapters run past 15-20 pages at the minimum (excluding the first chapter which had 8).

All in all, I have so far five chapters completed and I have 86 pages and I'm not even done yet with the first volume of the series, which is the one that I'm talking about. My problem, however, is that my plan was to split my series into multiple volumes (around 20+ to be exact), but it'll still be under the same umbrella title, just different plots and volume names. Most of the volumes will have at 5-7 chapters and will have at least 15-30 pages per chapter.

With that being said, because my pages per chapter are a little longer than most of the pages per chapter that I calculated in the rising stars category, is it smart to finish up the first volume and start posting that here? Or should I finish another volume or two just to make sure that I have something for everyone to read? 

It depends on what you want from posting here at RR. 

Are you looking to gain as many views as possible? To become the next sensation? Stock up a LOT of chapters. For one, it will allow you to post more frequently, which in turn brings more eyes to your story. In general, readers want more than less. Web fiction is competitive, if you only have one chapter out for a month, what's to stop a reader from moving on and forgetting about your story? For another, if you eventually go the Patreon route and give the option for advanced chapters, you'll thank your past self. The more advanced chapters you offer, the more tempting it is for readers to subscribe. As for how many chapters you should stock up.. as many as you have the patience to. 

You don't care about popularity? Looking to simply start out as a writer? Don't bother stockpiling. Focus on the writing. Sure, you could hit it big and become a RR sensation overnight, in which case a stockpile would be of great help, but chances aren't in your favor. Regardless, if you are a new writer, you should focus on the writing itself. Get used to writing and releasing on a schedule, gauge your reader's thoughts, and move on from there. This doesn't have to be a race..

DrakanWine

Fuchsia Wrote: It depends on what you want from posting here at RR. 

Are you looking to gain as many views as possible? To become the next sensation? Stock up a LOT of chapters. For one, it will allow you to post more frequently, which in turn brings more eyes to your story. In general, readers want more than less. Web fiction is competitive, if you only have one chapter out for a month, what's to stop a reader from moving on and forgetting about your story? For another, if you eventually go the Patreon route and give the option for advanced chapters, you'll thank your past self. The more advanced chapters you offer, the more tempting it is for readers to subscribe. As for how many chapters you should stock up.. as many as you have the patience to. 

You don't care about popularity? Looking to simply start out as a writer? Don't bother stockpiling. Focus on the writing. Sure, you could hit it big and become a RR sensation overnight, in which case a stockpile would be of great help, but chances aren't in your favor. Regardless, if you are a new writer, you should focus on the writing itself. Get used to writing and releasing on a schedule, gauge your reader's thoughts, and move on from there. This doesn't have to be a race..

DrakanWine

Solid advice, this.