Re: I feel *gutted* by my rating :( How do you stop it from affecting you?

Slacksloth Wrote: At least you're not me.
I got one chapter out and Bam!
There it was, my first rating being 0.5 stars.
I deleted my fiction.
Seriously, though. Don't let them get to you. It may offend their sensibilities, your story may be truly horrible, or they may just have had a bad day.
Haters gotta hate, after all.

Sorry to hear that this happened to you! Are you going to repost and give it another try? 

When I write, I write for myself.
I have all these stories running around in my head, and it's my job to grab the fuckers and turn them from "a heap of broken images" into something that's readable.
I don't write for other people, I write to get the stories out of my head. But they're like weeds; I dig one story out and another one grows in its place.
I've never actually written with the intent to be published. It was just "get story out of my head and onto the paper".
Publishing my stuff here is actually sort of an experiment. Are there people out there that like D&D-esque adventure fantasy stories? Let's find out.
That sort of thing.

I've learned a few things in my time here.
First, unless your story is cultivation, isekai, or litRPG, you have zero market penetration. I think I have maybe 2-3 followers. I don't really check because I'm not writing for them, I'm writing for me- to get the stories out of my head and onto paper. I do like the feedback I get though. Makes me feel like I'm doing something right.
Second, trolls will be trolls.
Third, if at any point there's a mention of LGBT content, you're going to get 0.5 ratings.

The point of writing, or painting, or sculpting, or playing music, whatever- the point isn't doing it for someone else. The point is doing it for you.
Everything else is opinions.

Slacksloth Wrote:
A Wrote: That's a shame that you let a rating have such control over you :( You have to start with bad and practice to get better. No one starts off good.

Nah. I was supposed to start the book with a friend, because he was the plotter and I was the writer, but I got impatient, so I probably deserved the 0.5 star review.

Hrm... I not sure 'deserving' it in this context is the case. You took a step into writing, now you have some practice under your belt. You could always try your hand at solo planning + writing. I mean something DID trigger you to start, which is a good thing.

In my experience writing with a partner never worked out well. I'm a slow writer and a bit on the methodical side. My writing partners were pantzers and cared more about getting the story out of their heads over having the story make sense. We had hoped that both approaches would level out the speed and writing quality, but the result was extremely jarring for readers, and the delay between chapters wasn't any good for readers either.

That's not to say it can't work. It just didn't work for me.

1/2 star ratings are a weird one. They initially hurt a hell of a lot more than a negative comment. Why?

They are directly tied to the metrics on the site, and can nerf your chances for early success, especially if it's your first rating ever.

Fortunately, because the majority of readers are amazing people who want to support amateur authorship online they give 5 stars on a regular.

Those who are less amazing and drop 1/2 star ratings, often do so because they are playing with the averaged metrics of your work. In their mind, you don't deserve 4 point something or 5 stars as an average, so they decided to make it their mission to put you in your place.

All we can do is see it as a misinformed attempt to indicate a dislike of some aspect of our work and move on.

This is why I'd love to see Royal Road scrap ratings in favour of a like/dislike button. It would be more objective and promote a greater consideration of the reader reviews (which retain a 1-5 star system) by the audience.

Until a time when they do, simply see 1/2 star ratings as that: A dislike... most probably of the rater's self-assessment of their life choices.

With Best Wishes and Kind Regards,
Carl.

ItsKHere Wrote: So, I opened up my dashboard today and I saw that I received 3 0.5 Star ratings and 1 1 star rating, all in the span of a day. 

It's a real gut punch. I thought I'd been doing a pretty decent job, but apparently at least 4 people saw my latest chapter and vehemently disagreed. How do you get over humps like that?

I’ve learned that generally when people low rate a fic without leaving feedback they’re doing it just because they can and nobody can track it back to them. Could be other authors doing it to keep you beneath them, readers who don’t know what a good piece of fiction is because they read garbage smut on average, or something else.

Anonymous low rates are equivalent to trash and you shouldn’t feel bothered by them. It’s easier said than done, but they aren’t going anywhere, unfortunately.

Personally, I am my worst critic. So, I feel that I have developed quite a thick skin over the years. 

Getting a bad rating would still make you feel terrible. I guess, if I was in your shoes, I would just accept that not everyone will like my stories. After all, how do you judge which comment/rating is more important to you? If you have several 5 star rating - are they less important than a handful of 0.5 stars? It's all perspective I guess. Chin up, and keep writing! After all, it's a craft that you will continuously hone! There will always be a group of naysayers mixed in with your fans! So focus on the positive! Lol. 

Its all purely emotional/mental management, which is easier said than done. 

I post my book without editing (full of spelling, grammar, and consistency errors), leaving readers to get annoyed and rate the book 1-2 stars. 

I stop writing for a year (not because of the rating but work)

I decided to delete everything and currently rewriting everything. I write cause im bored, and reviews/comments help writers to grow.

I say, keep writing and improve.

ItsKHere Wrote: So, I opened up my dashboard today and I saw that I received 3 0.5 Star ratings and 1 1 star rating, all in the span of a day.

It's a real gut punch. I thought I'd been doing a pretty decent job, but apparently at least 4 people saw my latest chapter and vehemently disagreed. How do you get over humps like that?

Dude, your story is rated over four stars still. Stop worrying about it. Anarcho got a 0.5 rating on the first chapter drop and it took me like a month and a half to recover from that, lol. You're an artist. Artists have detractors. Water off a duck's back, man. Move on and keep writing.

By the way,  saw your fiction in the daily updates feed a few days ago and I thought it looked cool!

Maybe it helps if you remind yourself that right now, there are over 4000 people out there who like your writing enough to read every one of the chapters you write.
I admit knowing that on an intellectual level still wouldn't keep me from being upset on an emotional one, but what I can see of your available numbers looks amazing, and you shouldn't take those few instances of negative feedback more to heart than all the positive ones (Again, easier said than done I admit.)

I feel this thread today. Just got a 1.0 star rating. No categories or comments. I really expected it from the start however since my story is quite particular in presentation and goal or it would have been a lot more painful. I saw it just after I published a chapter that had taken a while to write. Ouchies.

Really though I was lucky to pick up a 4 and 5 star rating from niche readers before to buffer it. 3.33 is still sad but it coulda been worse.

Were the ratings left maliciously? If not, I would take it as fuel. I won't deny it's the sort of thing that'll take the wind out of your sails, but I was there myself-- albeit 22 years ago when I was still a teenager. The trick is to not take the bad reviews as a personal attack, but an encouragement to improve your work.

If they were given maliciously, to hell with 'em.

Be objective.

You have an average of 4 stars. 1.5k followers in just a short while.

You are doing stupidly well. Just from pure numbers you are bound to get some bad press so to say.

Look at overall results and a not a subjective one or two or 6 responses. 

I saw a scorching 1 star review on Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind. You're in God company. Many top stories on RR have some crap reviews or ratings. 

My first ever review on this site was a 2.5 super critical review. The very first one lol. But it got better. So just accept that it is bound to happen, strive to do better, and don't consider these little poops in your overall writing frame.