Re: What do you put in the AN?

At the bottom of a chapter, the author can decide to write a note to their readers. Many choose to state that they hoped that the readers enjoyed their chapter, some advertise their Patreon, there are even the lucky few that show off the the fanart of the day. But... while there is some consistency with the format, I have noted that a few authors go beyond this.

I have personally tried to replicate this with random thoughts. Whenever I finish editing a chapter, I put a random thought in a spoiler in the AN. This was originally to figure out if people actually read the ANs, which people apparently did. Then it got fun to do, so I just continued doing it. Examples of these messages can be:

Quote:What does the void taste like?

Quote:Beginning to realise that the contents of a lot of popular songs are based around extreme religious practices.

Quote:hamburger

Now, do any of you do something similar to this? Or do you do something completely? Do let me know!

I've done the basic, perhaps what would be considered the minimum, in trying to drum up conversation/engagement.
I have tried to ask and engage readers with questions, I included a poll in the post-chapter notes, I've even tried to offer an EnhancedBonus Points leader board for any mentions of characters I may have not included from my Character Index chapter, but I just have 26 incredibly silent followers. 

https%3A%2F%2F37.media.tumblr.com%2Fe7836553aae5...o1_500.gif

It has put me off from trying anything else but I like what it is that you do Doc with random thoughts though. 

I just do the 'like and subscribe' call to action, but as a reader, I quite like for the author to put a conversation starter in the AN. The really high effort approach is in Synergy, The author writes mini essays on how they approach writing and the thought behind the current chapter. They're probably very labour intensive to produce, but I really like having the commentary. You could almost collect them all and publish it as a reading guide.

Since I'm writing a historically inclined story, I put some Fun facts for my readers concerning the European middle ages or any type of research I have done for the work and found interesting - poisons, arrow removal, aphrodisiacs, glassmaking... the list is endless. I think my readers find it entertaining since one of them stated:
Quote:Bro with all these Fun facts i'm gonna ace my history tests

peolove

DrBuller Wrote: At the bottom of a chapter, the author can decide to write a note to their readers. Many choose to state that they hoped that the readers enjoyed their chapter, some advertise their Patreon, there are even the lucky few that show off the the fanart of the day. But... while there is some consistency with the format, I have noted that a few authors go beyond this.

I have personally tried to replicate this with random thoughts. Whenever I finish editing a chapter, I put a random thought in a spoiler in the AN. This was originally to figure out if people actually read the ANs, which people apparently did. Then it got fun to do, so I just continued doing it. Examples of these messages can be:

Quote:What does the void taste like?

Quote:Beginning to realise that the contents of a lot of popular songs are based around extreme religious practices.

Quote:hamburger

Now, do any of you do something similar to this? Or do you do something completely? Do let me know!

Ohh.. hamburger taste..

L.J.Anders Wrote: I usually chapter commentary, or a stupid quip about the chapter, or delays updates, or break warnings, or apologizes for breaks, or what's going to happen in the future.

luda305 Wrote: Anything that I want to say to the audience that is not part of the story. This can be rather wide-ranging.

JK-sama Wrote: In the Pre-AN I indicate unusual words/terms that might provide some context for the chap. Recently in Post-AN, I've been sharing my thought process on the chap and providing behind-the-scenes ideas that landed on the cutting room floor.

And do y'all find you get any engagement as a result of sharing these?

DrBuller Wrote: Now, do any of you do something similar to this? Or do you do something completely? Do let me know!

I write in nothing.  peocrying

Honestly, I'd like to do something with the AN. Back when I did webcomics, I would usually leave an author comment on each update with some quippy comment about the contents of the page, and I intended to do the same when I started writing. Problem is that, since an update for a written story consists of a whole chapter instead of a single comic page, there's a lot more content and I don't know what in particular to comment on, lol. Outside of that, I'm really bad at talking about my stories in any serious context so it's difficult for me to get my thoughts out in any cohesive manner. Maybe I'll take the approach of putting in silly and unrelated comments instead.