Re: Male vs female protagonist

Haust Wrote: That rings as off to me. Did you ever watch those Youtube videos where men try out simulated period pains? There's one funny one in particular where a man lashes out and destroys the table at, I think it was setting 3 or 4, and his wife casually shruggs off a seven with some slight grimacing while chuckling at her husband. Destroying the furniture is a bit extreme but these videos are very consistent with this pattern. 

Similarly there are studies that show that, when in a hospital emergency room, women are at risk of not getting emergency care as quickly because men are more likely to express or exaggerate pain? This just seem more complex to me than these studies suggest.

Women's pain gets dismissed more. It is not that men are exaggerating pain--they're equally likely to try to get help at same pain levels. It is that women's pain gets shrugged off for anxiety or female-specific physical issues which is another whole issue. Men are taken more seriously. Here's the article that I read about that and it makes reference to plenty of studies. Generally the scholarship will interact in such a way that hopefully paints a coherent picture if they're onto something.

With the period simulators and how male and female bodies process pain differently, it's hard to determine if what the men and women are experiencing are a one-for-one. Especially how they are trying to simulate pain in body parts that they literally do not have. I really hope they don't work anyway because it they do.... That's just really sad.

To bring this back to writing... this is probably a case where analyzing the differences in males vs. females does not do a whole lot in crafting more believable characters and it might be better to write people as people *shrug*

Haust Wrote:
psyMeat Wrote: Most Females are emotionally driven while males are more logical. (has direct relation with human biology)

I've been told this over and over, but I've yet to see it in reality. I especially remember college, where the dudes emotions ran high all the time and the girls sat back and stared in mock horror. The guys occasionally got into fights, crashed cars while speeding, and this one time they stole a bunch of the neighbors chickens and stuffed them through peoples dorm bedroom windows because they wanted to get back at people and thought it was funny.

I've never seen a woman do something that emotionally impulsive just because it's funny in the moment. A woman who wants to get back at someone else isn't likely to get so swept up in her emotions that she steals unrelated peoples precious pet animals and shuts them in their rivals bedrooms (bedrooms, I might add, owned and maintained by their own dormitory landlords). She's gonna do the logical thing, which is to come up with a way to get her petty revenge in a way that isn't obviously gonna get her evicted for a month and responsible for paying for the damage.

As someone who has seen wild shit like this constantly in the military, I’d like to point out that honestly, I doubt those things were emotionally driven. Men as a whole like to do bold, dumb, and risky shit if it means getting a high off it. I’ve seen friends get drunk and smash bottles over their heads just to get laughs, and guys do backflips off buildings into truck Ed’s filled with jello (to this day I have no idea how they got so much jello) just because they got dared.

It’s just shit men do in general usually when they’re bored and exposed to certain environments 

People are people. For the most part there is little difference. The differences that do exist are mostly minor, but have a huge impact. 

Blame evolution, God, or whomever you wish, but the base drives in our primal brains, and our hormones can and usually do cause large difference in our instinctual drives. Other than that the differences matter little. A character can be kind or cruel, emotional or logical, judgmental or forgiving, regardless of sex. 

A quick and dirty example would be our Brave character comes across a village being attacked by something.

Both sexes would want to save them, both sexes would be angry seeing people hurt senselessly, both sexes would do and say mostly the same things. 

But the small things that give them pause would likely be different. The point at where they stop and think things would be different. When reading different male and female authors I have pieced together a theory.  My personal opinion is male characters will react more in broad strokes to visually troubling things, while females will react more to overall emotion the scene.

Male Character. Sees dead children laying in the street. Their blood soaking the ground.  Rawr! "I'll Kill those bad guys!"

Female Character. Sees several dead children laying in the road. Their little bodies twisted, broken, and discarded without care. Rawr! "I will Kill those bad guys!"

Those are the things I have noticed, and think it adds to the stories. 

My opinion, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Personally I do not mind writing either of them but I do find writing with a female protagonist easier.
I find it harder to write about a male protagonist without him either ending up like a dense idiot or a pervert. I find it easier to write about a male protagonist if I start from when they are a child growing up but other than some other specific times I find it really hard. 
Female protagonist are easier for me as I don't seem to worry about those things too much. 
Either way I'm fine writing either side. just males takes more effort. 

Jemini Wrote: Gender bent male-to-females. Best of both worlds.

Conversely, female-to-male gender benders tend to be significantly harder to wrap one's mind around. And for some reason, the few I've seen of others doing it tend not to end well.

No reason they'd be any harder to understand? I do wonder why they're so rare, though. Perhaps this genre has just fallen too hard into the fetishism range. 

Haust Wrote:

Conversely, female-to-male gender benders tend to be significantly harder to wrap one's mind around. And for some reason, the few I've seen of others doing it tend not to end well.

No reason they'd be any harder to understand? I do wonder why they're so rare, though. Perhaps this genre has just fallen too hard into the fetishism range.

It's probably because in gender bender stories romance is often important or at least take up some aspect of the story. When you have a straight female turn into a male body, the person does not necessarily have to change what they like, so they often still likes males. What does this classify as than? Boys love, shounen ai, Yaoi what ever you like to call it. Its these tags and stereotypes that generally make people (cis males usually) stay away while others just love it. Which ends up making a niche following of a niche for these novels and that just limits the amount of people that will actively search for and read these things. 

Then again I might just not know where to find these novels with female to male protagonist.  

Haust Wrote:

Well might be because people are too used to male protags being bland or gruff and when they are handsome, it's usually Boys Love subgenre, platonic or further. So, unless people already know that neither is the case, it might be skipped by those who don't want heavy romance or don't want to read yet another badass action hero story *but with a girl's soul in him*, that might turn into an immersion breaking demerit instead of a positive twist.

Also, boys on the covers are the *default* option nobody looks twice at, while girls are likely to increase sales. It's one of the reasons gender bender manga/anime/LNs are a thing since 80s, you write a straightforward boy character but with an attractive appearance. Or if transformations are a thing, you can write a character with more variety and they wouldn't look like they have a split personality