Re: Male vs female protagonist

Haust Wrote: I tend to default to writing female characters.

Same. I don't really think I have a reason for it.

I tend to find any characters fun to write so long as I've made them interesting enough. Be that fun quirks, friendships or convoluted backstories that are still affecting their situation. 🤔🤷‍♀️

I tend to write male protagonist, only because I believe we need representation of diverse male cast. Smaller males who don't fit the stereotype of what we view masculine is. Disabled males. More emotionally connected male characters. Men who look a little bit more androgynous. Men with lighter voices. Because as a shorter man with a soft voice myself, I think that it's important to have this kind of representation.

I've written both extensively. As a male, it’s definitely easier to get into the mindset of my male characters, turning into a more relaxing and less time consuming process.

Female characters are a lot of fun for me though, because they tend to surprise me more often and force me to reconsider the plot/key character relationships. I also have to be more imaginative, especially since I personally feel there are fewer stellar characters to draw from mainstream media that are females rather than males.

I can write either really. Now and then I write a male, but usually it is female.

Fun Fact:

For about a decade or so, I used to write males only. Why? Well, I’m a guy. Kinda normal to expect that. I have some hilarious ideas I want to bring back at some point. Anyway, it was the better part of five years or so that I swapped to mostly writing females. Don’t get me wrong, now and then I still write a male protagonist, just not as much. 

I have gotten quite good at writing females, to the point where most misidentify my gender. Honestly, that is one reason why I keep my gender hidden on my profile. I keep note for more natural responses, this is for rewrites, or later works. 

Through it all though, my skills in writing male protagonists has improved. All in all, learning to write both does well in increasing the quality of one’s work. It will eventually flow along more naturally, and it becomes easier to put yourself in the shoes of another. 

While I tend to find male secondary characters more fun than female secondary characters, for the protagonist it doesn't really matter to me.

Prysmcat Wrote: Either, depending on the story. However, I actually prefer writing characters that are trans or gender-fluid or otherwise non-binary. I like challenging stereotypes and assumptions. That doesn't always fit with the story but when it does, they're generally the most fun to write.

I agree here, I enjoyed the unique challenge of writing members of a 3-sex species, and in a different story a herm who was "passing" as male but wanted to be a mother some day.

I think I prefer to write male characters because, well... I'm a guy. It's easier to think what your character is thinking when you're in a similar situation. There are subtle differences between genders, and to think what a girl would think as a guy is less natural than thinking what a guy would think as a guy, if you get what I mean. Writing female characters are also fun, but I'm not very good at it just yet.

Or I could just throw gender stereotypes out the window and randomly assign a gender when I create a character.

I don’t think any gender expression is more fun to write than any other. That said, I often write male characters as my MC/protagonist more often because a) it’s the default and it’s a bit easier for me, and b) because I often make the male characters queer, and there are not a lot of queer stories out there, on average. 

But I also have a weakness for writing divas (they just tend to end up as antagonists or allies more often than protagonists).

I write a lot with strong tropes (I’m actually studying SFF tropes as a student at uni right now for my dissertation), so I probably haven’t yet spent as much time as I should in studying more realistic interiority in terms of character (regardless of gender).

I view both equally. Tend to prefer male MC’s off a whim though because I’m a guy. That’s about as deep as it gets beyond that. 

A story I have in the works will have twin MCs (male and female) to consolidate my OCD about balance. So that’ll be fun giving both equal attention and gauging what the audience likes more.

I find most female MC has not been represented accurately, they act like a guy instead of a girl.

This can be seen if you keep one fact in mind:

Most Females are emotionally driven while males are more logical. (has direct relation with human biology)
The decision they make differs even if not always.
The thought process also should be different, unlike many female MC.

Female MC is interesting, like Ellen Ripley, but will turn me off when written badly.

I going to sound like a strange person here, but I like writing male characters as a woman. I do enjoy it because I enjoy it. I really don't have a good deep reason for this. I just do.

And it's not like I don't enjoy writing female characters at all. I can have just as much fun writing female characters. When I was younger, my initial stories were female characters. At some point, I just kind of defaulted to male characters for my non-human main characters at a certain point. I think it was because I wanted to learn to write male characters a little bit better. The one I initially started out with, I failed. Though his gender was the least of my issues with him.

Though next project outside of the one I'm working on, female POV character. I'm drowning in testosterone right now. You can have too much of a fun thing.

I enjoy both, but I tend to write more female protagonists because I think women are very underrepresented in certain genres, and I write the representation I want to see. Honestly, men and women are not all that inherently different—they might be socialized differently, have different social roles and expectations, etc, depending on the setting and culture, but fundamentally, people are just people.